Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

InsertUniqueName - '07 Toyota Yaris sport

SaturnMPGbeater - '02 Chevy cobalt
Team Saturn
90 day: 47.82 mpg (US)
Do what? So old people who walk slow should sit down and wait for everyone to go by until its clear? People with children should wait to use bathroom until there is an opening? And coupon people should hold off until all the non-coupon users are done? People who are bleeding profusely should wait for the people with a stomach virus in the ER because they got there first?

Seriously, its a public road. The posted speed limit is supposed to be the MAX speed. Just because the majority of people blatantly ignore this and feel you should get out of their way doesn't make them right.

I do like analogies so here goes:

"This is like when a guy gets a DUI and they blame the bar for giving him to many"

"Guns kill people" - no people kill people with guns.

"and some people who smoke think they have the right to do it anywhere regardless of it being harmful and reckless" - this might be a stretch as I don't think smokers are all like that, but its the mindset i'm getting at.

I don't care if 99% of people are shooting heroin because its what your supposed to do. Its not. So IF im doing 55mph in a 55mph zone. Let them pile up. Ill try to break a record of the longest line of impatient, ignorant people who think the have more rights than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I do not think anybody has a right to drive below the posted speed limit(weather permitting) if they are holding back other drivers. Pull over let everyone pass you,show some road manners,its not all about your gas mileage, its about getting good mpg not being a turd on the road to get it. It just shows incompetency and causes undue stress to other commuters.

The pessimist says “The glass is half empty,” the optimist says “The glass is half full,” and the minimalist says “We’ve got about twice as much glass as we need here.”
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Quote:
I am curious as too how many of the previous posters who disagreed with my post hold up people regularly, daily, year in year out. Each of you a king of the slow speed corner, pathetic driving ABILITY i say.
It comes down to the question, should those slow drivers who everyone HATES be permitted to drive on the road ? they are obviously incompetent nincompoops.
I disagree with you, but your assumption that I'd be the king of the slow speed corner could not be farther from the truth!
I'm the guy that sets his cruise control in the really twisty mountain roads, and hangs in there as fast as the tires will let me, and never EVER speed up on the straights like the typical duchebag drivers. If you can't hold it in the corners, let others pass you on the straights.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #93 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
I do not think anybody has a right to drive below the posted speed limit(weather permitting) if they are holding back other drivers. Pull over let everyone pass you,show some road manners,its not all about your gas mileage, its about getting good mpg not being a turd on the road to get it. It just shows incompetency and causes undue stress to other commuters.
Quote:
I am curious as too how many of the previous posters who disagreed with my post hold up people regularly, daily, year in year out. Each of you a king of the slow speed corner, pathetic driving ABILITY i say.
It comes down to the question, should those slow drivers who everyone HATES be permitted to drive on the road ? they are obviously incompetent nincompoops.
Quote:
Also I want to say that I have been side swiped by someone who was stuck behind a slow speed bozo in his dually pick up.
I approached the two vehicles from the slow lane,passing her, the person stuck behind the road hazard, She pull out into the slow lane to pass the said road hazard and hits me as i just pass her.
It was that slow driver who caused it, i told icbc that( my insurance carrier) they paid for repairs, the blame was put on the frustrated driver, stuck behind a incompetent slow poke.

The guy driving the dually pick up was in the fast lane going about 40 km in a 60 km zone.
Quote:
Jacob i agree that speeding is one of the leading causes of accidents, but these bonehead slow pokes are causing them too.
What it comes down to is courtesy, i give it to other drivers, i expect it back, when its not like in the case of the king of the slow speed corner who holds up 61 to 99 cars or what ever calamity he is about to cause i have to say- get the f*** off the road you nitwit.
You are the winnar!!!

(of the call-a-name-every-post-in-the-thread award)

Seriously, you have something personal to work out, why here?
ecomodded (06-15-2012), TEiN (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I know not everybody has had the opportunity of taking a drivers ed or defensive driving course but the ones I have taken have taught that you should drive with the flow of traffic even if it is over the limit. You have to realize that if EVERYONE is doing 5 over the limit and you are doing 5 under then YOU are the hazard on the road not the other 99% even if you are the one within the legal limit and they are not.

I am not excusing the idiots that drive at whatever speed they like and I am not saying this applies to all situations but in heavy rush hour traffic its important to match speed the the pack you are traveling in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffman For This Useful Post:
t vago (06-22-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #95 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I know not everybody has had the opportunity of taking a drivers ed or defensive driving course but the ones I have taken have taught that you should drive with the flow of traffic even if it is over the limit. You have to realize that if EVERYONE is doing 5 over the limit and you are doing 5 under then YOU are the hazard on the road not the other 99% even if you are the one within the legal limit and they are not.
Bull.

Quote:
I am not excusing the idiots that drive at whatever speed they like and I am not saying this applies to all situations but in heavy rush hour traffic its important to match speed the the pack you are traveling in.
That's exactly what you are doing. It most certainly not important to match speed in rush hour traffic. It is important to maintain a distance between your front bumper and the rear end of the car in front of you. If you don't have that, you will be part of a pile-up. And if you do, you have the freedom of moderating your speed and improving your mileage from less stop-and-go.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Bull.
Take a course, learn something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That's exactly what you are doing. It most certainly not important to match speed in rush hour traffic. It is important to maintain a distance between your front bumper and the rear end of the car in front of you. If you don't have that, you will be part of a pile-up. And if you do, you have the freedom of moderating your speed and improving your mileage from less stop-and-go.

When people are forced to go around you they take their eyes off the road ahead and divert their attention to their mirrors looking for an opening to get around you, thus you are diverting others attention from the road ahead and that is why people who impede traffic are a hazard.

If you have seen any studies on traffic flow, it is people changing lanes that mess with the distance between cars because it forces a line of cars to the rear to apply their brakes. Your logic is only half there.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #97 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Take a course, learn something.
Lol.

Quote:
When people are forced to go around you they take their eyes off the road ahead and divert their attention to their mirrors looking for an opening to get around you, thus you are diverting others attention from the road ahead and that is why people who impede traffic are a hazard.
Again, take responsibility for your own vehicle. If other drivers want to take risks, they need to be responsible for the consequences.

Quote:
If you have seen any studies on traffic flow, it is people changing lanes that mess with the distance between cars because it forces a line of cars to the rear to apply their brakes. Your logic is only half there.
I have. If you would take a minute to actually practice what I advocate, it reduces the stop and go and promotes a more even speed. No need to switch lanes, they all average about the same.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Video evidence:

Another good link
Stock Video Footage: Heavy traffic Timelapse w/lane changes.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ahh, what do those limeys know? they can't even drive on the propper side!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Someone here mentioned boredom that comes with driving artificially low speeds, especially on highways. I think this is big, based on personal experience.

Nodding off while rolling down the interstate has always been a problem with me. It scares the hell out of me and is, IMO, a more dangerous problem than drunk driving.

The nice thing about hypermiling is it helps ward off this problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pete c For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (06-14-2012), UFO (06-14-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread