Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #111 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Quote from your post:
Originally Posted by ecomodded

I do not think anybody has a right to drive below the posted speed limit(weather permitting) if they are holding back other drivers. Pull over let everyone pass you,show some road manners,its not all about your gas mileage, its about getting good mpg not being a turd on the road to get it. It just shows incompetency and causes undue stress to other commuters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jousai7 View Post
Do what? So old people who walk slow should sit down and wait for everyone to go by until its clear? People with children should wait to use bathroom until there is an opening? And coupon people should hold off until all the non-coupon users are done? People who are bleeding profusely should wait for the people with a stomach virus in the ER because they got there first?

Seriously, its a public road. The posted speed limit is supposed to be the MAX speed. Just because the majority of people blatantly ignore this and feel you should get out of their way doesn't make them right.

I do like analogies so here goes:

"This is like when a guy gets a DUI and they blame the bar for giving him to many"

"Guns kill people" - no people kill people with guns.

"and some people who smoke think they have the right to do it anywhere regardless of it being harmful and reckless" - this might be a stretch as I don't think smokers are all like that, but its the mindset i'm getting at.

I don't care if 99% of people are shooting heroin because its what your supposed to do. Its not. So IF im doing 55mph in a 55mph zone. Let them pile up. Ill try to break a record of the longest line of impatient, ignorant people who think the have more rights than me.
Is being considerate of other drivers too much to ask of someone ?
or are you saying you don't consider other drivers?
and drive how you want when you want, collecting a line up of unhappy drivers behind you?

I ask because you quote my post like it challenges your driving.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #112 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
You are the winnar!!!

(of the call-a-name-every-post-in-the-thread award)

Seriously, you have something personal to work out, why here?
I don't want contain myself on this one, i Love this chance to tell some tard drivers how the rest of the world feels about them. Road hazards, you know who you are. I would suspect?? who knows.. if you are always the leader of a long line of cars then yes its you.

Last edited by ecomodded; 06-15-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #113 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I don't want contain myself on this one, i Love this chance to tell some tard drivers how the rest of the world feels about them. Road hazards, you know who you are. I would suspect?? who knows.. if you are always the leader of a long line of cars then yes its you.
Since you've blown your cover why not? I'm sure there is plenty we can agree on, but if you insist on name-calling and polarizing rhetoric, it's not going to happen. Personally I think you are confusing hypermilers with oblivious drivers, but since you show no distinction I'm not interested in the discussion.
ecomodded (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #114 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
lol
You did not have to quote me did you.
If you drive like your in your own world then you would be offended.
Driving safe entails being courteous to other drivers.
its Ridiculous not to.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-crashes.html

http://www.jokeroo.com/videos/funny/...ow-driver.html

Last edited by ecomodded; 06-16-2012 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: add link
Old 06-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #115 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Failure to yield + hit & run.

And a stoopid bus driver, wasting precious time and distance while flashing his lights. If he started his evasive actions right then, they could be a lot gentler and wouldn't let the bus get out of control.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #116 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yup, that wasn't caused by a slow driver. It was caused by a clueless driver that pulled out in front of the bus. Also, it looks as if that bus driver may have been going too fast for the conditions.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #117 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The traffic '85% rule' is that flow is best when at least 85% of vehicles travel at the same speed give or take 5 mph. If you are traveling less than 10 mph of the average you are expected to let others pass safely. State law may determine minimum speeds for limited access highways (45 mph in 65 mph zones) or speeds below which slow moving vehicle signs are required. Too often you will see people riding the bumper of someone at speed in the passing lane rather than flashing the high beams from a safe 3 sec. interval. The passing lane is for passing and we are not allowed to exceed the legal limit when doing so. In practice passing usually means going 5 mph faster than the person we pass. They are required to maintain speed. It is amazing how many people do not take the time to read and understand traffic laws.
The question for the hypermiler is what is an appropriate minimum and maximum speed for pulse and glide? Best mileage may be had in the 35 to 45 mph range but traffic conditions may not allow this. The best traffic 'safety' speed is to P&G in the range 5 mph above and below the 85% average. If this not acceptable, then another route might be better. The alternative is to pull over and wave others around when it is safe to do so. If some is really crowding my bumper, I flip on the 4 way flashers until they back off and I can wave them around.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #118 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
The traffic '85% rule' is that flow is best when at least 85% of vehicles travel at the same speed give or take 5 mph. If you are traveling less than 10 mph of the average you are expected to let others pass safely. State law may determine minimum speeds for limited access highways (45 mph in 65 mph zones) or speeds below which slow moving vehicle signs are required. Too often you will see people riding the bumper of someone at speed in the passing lane rather than flashing the high beams from a safe 3 sec. interval. The passing lane is for passing and we are not allowed to exceed the legal limit when doing so. In practice passing usually means going 5 mph faster than the person we pass. They are required to maintain speed. It is amazing how many people do not take the time to read and understand traffic laws.
The question for the hypermiler is what is an appropriate minimum and maximum speed for pulse and glide? Best mileage may be had in the 35 to 45 mph range but traffic conditions may not allow this. The best traffic 'safety' speed is to P&G in the range 5 mph above and below the 85% average. If this not acceptable, then another route might be better. The alternative is to pull over and wave others around when it is safe to do so. If some is really crowding my bumper, I flip on the 4 way flashers until they back off and I can wave them around.
Excellent post.

Americans fail horribly at using proper lane discipline. We have law enforcement to thank with their obsession with speeds rather than overall driving habits.

In Europe they pull over speed limit (assuming there is one) abiding passing lane road hazards rather than the guy in the M5 driving in the proper lane at 'go directly to jail' triple digit speeds.

This is done for a few reasons, IMO.

First off is the view that driving in this country is some sort of constitutional right and you can't put silly restrictions such as having an f'ing clue on rights!

Second is that it's much easier and quite lucrative to simply set up speed traps and reel in the suckers. Enforcing actual driving rules requires actually driving and looking. That's way too much work and requires burning expensive gas. Not a very efficient means of revenue collection at all.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #119 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Failure to yield + hit & run.
Not to mention that an actual hypermiler would have pulled out behind the bus. Some people just can't see a damn thing because they're too busy seeing what they want to in everything, you know?

Case in point: The guy with his back turned to us (and indeed, the rest of society) is a hypermiler. The guy on the right is just some average Joe trying to get to work. Hypermiling behavior is dangerous and antisocial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 06-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #120 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Well, we've beat this one into the ground. Next!