Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder74 View Post
Here is the DIC bar graph that is what I'm using right now. Another page shows instant and average over the last 50 miles.
I wonder if that is anything like an engine load % calculation, instead of a TPS reading. I would think it uses manifold pressure, RPM, and throttle position or something to calculate engine load. Is there an optimal point on the reading before the turbo kicks on?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-06-2020, 02:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smokey - '13 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
ECO Drive Assist Menu (ECO) Items

This menu is only available on some vehicles. Press MENU on the turn signal lever until the ECO menu is displayed. Use to scroll through the menu items. Not all items are available on every vehicle.x to scroll through the menu items. Not all items are available on every vehicle.

The following is a list of all possible menu items: • Best Average Fuel Economy • ECO Index
• Economy Trend

Best Average Fuel Economy

The right hand side displays the best average fuel economy (AFE) that is achieved for a selected distance. The left hand side displays a running average of fuel economy for the most recently traveled selected distance. The center bar graph displays the instantaneous fuel economy. Quickly press the SET/CLR button to display a page for selecting one of the distance options. Move the up/down arrow to choose the selection, and SET/CLR to change the setting.

When viewing best AFE, a several second press and hold of SET/CLR will reset the best value. The best value will show “- - -“ until the selected distance has been traveled.

The display provides feedback on how current driving behavior in the bar graph affects the running average in the left display and how well recent driving compares to the best that has been achieved.

ECO Index

The bar graph on the left hand side provides feedback on the efficiency of current driving behavior. The graph shows a percentage value that is based on current fuel consumption compared to what is expected from the vehicle with good and bad driving habits. Each box represents 10%, with all boxes filled being 100%. More economical driving will result in being in the ECO box. Instantaneous Fuel Economy is also shown on right hand side. This display cannot be reset.

Economy Trend

This display shows history of the Average Fuel Economy from the last 50 km (30 miles). Each bar represents about 5 km (3 miles) of driving. The fuel economy will range from 0 – 15 L/100 km (0 – 50 mpg).

During driving the bars will shift to always reflect the most recent distance on the right side. This display cannot be reset.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Have you thought about changing the transmission fluid, to freshen it up and possible switch to a synthetic?
Not sure what's in it from the factory but at 116,xxx miles it's probably beat.
My car has an auto trans and I just replaced my 40's series tires with 45's and
my mileage decreased by 1-2 mpg's driving 80% highway.
Might have a different affect on a manual but at cruising speed my boost gauge is now showing around 7-8 in of vacuum and with the 40 series was around 10, so considerably more load on the engine. I appreciate the increased ride quality though.

You could always unhook the wastegate actuator arm so the wastegate is flapping open and drive it around N/A for a while and see what the mileage is.

Last edited by Keito; 02-10-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Old 02-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smokey - '13 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
I may look into unhooking the actuator, thanks. I was wondering about how to turn off boost, wonder if it doing this will throw codes...
Old 02-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder74 View Post
I may look into unhooking the actuator, thanks. I was wondering about how to turn off boost, wonder if it doing this will throw codes...
I would hope it would throw a code. The ECU must be tuned for boost conditions in a number of scenarios, adjusting fuel ratios accordingly.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I've never driven a turbo car, but on the ranger you can lug it down way lower than you should be able to and it will get 25 mpg around town. Have you tried 90% load under 1800 rpm and watched the boost gauge to see if you are out of boost? Slightly lower efficiency at those rpm, but better bsfc than boost.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
I don't understand why everyone is trying to not use the turbocharger on their turbocharged cars. The entire drivetrain is designed for it. Seems counterproductive. If it's a WRX and the turbo is meant to boost power, that's one thing. A Cruze Eco's turbo is there to improve efficiency. Let it!
Old 02-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I don't understand why everyone is trying to not use the turbocharger on their turbocharged cars. The entire drivetrain is designed for it. Seems counterproductive. If it's a WRX and the turbo is meant to boost power, that's one thing. A Cruze Eco's turbo is there to improve efficiency. Let it!
Its meant to reduce the size of the engine to reduce the fuel consumption at steady state. aka out of boost.
But they put the turbo on it to give it the v6 power for acceleration.
When you take the sum of improvement its a net improvement for fuel consumption, but under load acceleration with boost suffers an efficiency loss.
The subaru wrx speaks for itself. 300hp 4 cylinder that gets worse gas mileage than all of the 6 speed manual v8 mustangs and camaros and corvettes etc...
Old 02-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The turbo also makes for peak torque at under 2,000 rpm. If I had a manual I'd try to shift there but use a moderate amount of throttle. With the auto it seems to want to run up to 2,600 rpm with anything but a very light touch of the throttle, but I've only driven mine 200 miles. 43 mpg indicated on mixed 70 mile drive home from dealer. Car listed 26 mpg lifetime when I got it. Daughter was home last weekend daughter with it and it indicates 31 mpg since last reset.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've driven a couple hundred miles and am just under 40mpg. The hills on ths interstate, along with long warm ups(not sitting at idle,driving), are hurting my numbers. Trust me, when its in boost, your looking at teens to single digits. Like i mentioned before, i shifted my satrun at just above peak torque and got great mileage. With the fuel enrichment under boost, it's counterproductive. When i bought the car it was at 33mpg, teenage boy...
I'm thinking aero mods are a must, especially upper grill block to speed up warm up and the under engine panel thats missing. From the axle back it is a big open space that needs filled.

Reply  Post New Thread