Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #41 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Arragonis -

I do thank you for the effort. I understand your desire to exchange ideas. I am guessing you have a bit of the policy-wonk in you. From your posts in other threads I can tell that your POV has been well-vetted. Or maybe I just agree with you, ha ha.

CarloSW2
Thanks - I think

I am not involved with politics if thats what you think, although I am interested. For the record I would recognise a description of me as a lefty but I have views which are of the right - but that definition changes from country to country really. I would say I am not represented in modern politics much which leads me not to vote, or to make my vote a protest more than a choice.

My thought process here however was not to bring out the politics but to put it somewhere where those who wish to exchange 20-30 posts on left vs right, liberals vs conservatives or even the smurfs vs manchester united could have a place to go, or rather be sent by others, and others could avoid if they prefer. I can see it wouldn't work given what people have posted.

So there you go - I have changed my view. Maybe thats whats missing in politics and political debate, admitting you may be mistaken.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A place for political discussion would be good.

But not here on ecomodder. In the long running thread about my Aerolid, a young Marine posted on the thread from Afghanistan. That is rough duty in a dangerous Country. I repiled to him thanking him for his interest in the Aerolid and then I went on to thank him for his service to our country.

I now want to educate those who confuse politics with Patriotism. Support for our fellow Americans who serve this country in our Military is not political. Those 30 brave American soldiers, mostly Navy Seals, who lost their lives Friday is not POLITICAL! They were Americans. My little brother who is slated to re-deploy to Iraq is not POLITICAL! They are warriors. They choose to put thier lives in harms way in service to our Country.

I know several Navy Seals. They are a special breed of men, very intelligent, capable and brave. It is like the young Marine in Afghanistan who answered back in response to a post on the Aerolid thread which treatened to lock the tread if I did'nt keep the politics out of it because I had thanked this young Marine for his service.

The young Marine said he was confused if it was anything he had said which had caused a threat to lock the thread. Then he said if it was due to me being supportive of him and his fellow soldiers who are also in harms way that this threat was made about locking it, then he said "I hope I never met them on the street!"

If it does come down to a street fight, I'll have that young Marines back, who may well have my little brothers back someday while he is in Iraq. My Navy Seal friends will have my back, for I am willing to give my life for this Country as did the 30 fellow brave Americans who lost theirs in Afghanistan on Friday.

Bondo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bondo For This Useful Post:
Kodak (08-07-2011), t vago (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
FYI, this is an international forum, one of the head guys is actually from Canada. Not sure it is the place for gushing patriotic, that would be politics on a whole different level.

The Following User Says Thank You to dcb For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
How about a Thyme-out corral?
Frank,

It really can't get much more personal than this - or can it?

Your provocation and demand for silencing me is the equivalent of kicking a man in the balls.

Go right ahead. Keep doing it. I'm used to it. That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger.

He makes our playground uncomfortable! "SILENCE HIM!" "Off with his head!!!"

There is nothing new about that way of governing, is there?

You can't silence me; only the moderators can - but only if they bow to satisfying a very vocal, hysterical consensus which you are trying to stir up.

Democracy presents a very thin line between majority rule and mob rule.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:
bondo (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Re: the military worshipping: that's not just political; that's hyperpolitical.

Re: Thyme-out: Yup, personal indeed. You are over the top, applying politics where there shouldn't be any. I doubt you even realize that very few if anybody are swayed to your side by your essays.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Here we go again

Thyme, please stop splitting hairs!!!!
I think you need to use a bigger font size. It will help you SHOUT LOUDER.

Those who need to shout the loudest are usually putting their insecurity on display.

I will continue to voice my opinions quietly but persistently.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
This is a private forum, so the users may be held to certain rules that would elsewhere be too restrictive. This is a pretty useful place, and I like it here, so I'll deal with that.

Certain inconveniences come with free speech. Namely, people may get irritated, offended or even enraged. I'll take it, because it's better than the alternative.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodak For This Useful Post:
bondo (08-08-2011), Thymeclock (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...where's Maxwell Smart (Agent 86) and his "Cone of Silence" when you really need one?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Re: the military worshipping: that's not just political; that's hyperpolitical.

Re: Thyme-out: Yup, personal indeed. You are over the top, applying politics where there shouldn't be any. I doubt you even realize that very few if anybody are swayed to your side by your essays.
I don't expect to change your mind or that of most of those who frequent this list.

I do expect to be able to voice a contrasting opinion without being intimidated or browbeaten, by you or anyone else. If I can't do so, and no one else having a differing opinion can, it has a "chilling effect" in that disagreement is not only unwelcome here, but making it de facto forbidden. That is what the recently invoked and seen protests in this thread are all about: the demands for silencing anyone who has a different perspective than the status quo.

The day the moderators allow you to dominate this forum, provoke me with personal taunts and no longer tolerate my civil response I will know that they will have allowed you to run roughshod over anyone and everyone here - to be the list bully (as it were, with your phalanx of like-minded sycophants).

I trust the moderators are better educated and wiser than you, and that they will not allow that to occur.

Which will prevail here? Tolerance or absolutism?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Anyone know why Maryland is called the Old Line State?

regards
Mech

Closed Thread  Post New Thread