Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
If coasting is so dang efficient why don't manufacturers put it into automotive cruise controls . Have them de=clutch and coast for 5 seconds and restart. Is it beyond the capabilities of cars which use radar to cc.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX - '91 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 63.1 mpg (US)

the ugly one - '97 saturn SL just sl,not sl1 or 2
Team Saturn
90 day: 44.15 mpg (US)

Vibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe
Team Pontiac
90 day: 44.24 mpg (US)

Hoopdie - '05 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 42.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
If coasting is so dang efficient why don't manufacturers put it into automotive cruise controls . Have them de=clutch and coast for 5 seconds and restart. Is it beyond the capabilities of cars which use radar to cc.
They won't touch that with a ten foot pole. Have the car automatically speed up and slow down would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. The manufacturers are getting real serious real fast however because of the outlandish café standards. They are covering grills with shutters, making smooth under-bellies, using auto shut-off at stops, shutting down cylinders under light loads, etc. These are all out there and being used already. I have a hunch they may learn a little from sites like this.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius coasts with the engine off and no drive to the wheels.

-

The problem with automated EOC is predicting when the customer will want or need power back. An experienced EOCer knows how to get around that. Your common driver will not enjoy the feeling of having to wait for power to come back... however short the wait is (the Prius gets a free pass because you get electric assist before the engine comes back on).
Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
For the same reason they spec lower than optimal air pressure- to avoid customer complaints about a harsh ride. If a car eoc'd by itself people would freak.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX - '91 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 63.1 mpg (US)

the ugly one - '97 saturn SL just sl,not sl1 or 2
Team Saturn
90 day: 44.15 mpg (US)

Vibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe
Team Pontiac
90 day: 44.24 mpg (US)

Hoopdie - '05 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 42.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
For the same reason they spec lower than optimal air pressure- to avoid customer complaints about a harsh ride.
he he, they would have loved my 55 psi tires in my weightless CRX. Rattled fillings loose on our wonderful Michigan roads.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I agree it is dangerous to others in traffic for you or your car to do random speed changes. Although good for fuel mileage is not without trouble.

It was mentioned in another thread about the increased air polution relavent to engine starts and restarts. Imagine everyone adding to poorer air quality.

I am going off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelobi View Post
They won't touch that with a ten foot pole. Have the car automatically speed up and slow down would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. The manufacturers are getting real serious real fast however because of the outlandish café standards. They are covering grills with shutters, making smooth under-bellies, using auto shut-off at stops, shutting down cylinders under light loads, etc. These are all out there and being used already. I have a hunch they may learn a little from sites like this.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
I want to throw in my experience. I attempted EoC in my chevy cavalier for about a few days. Two times my knock sensor went off. I have not attempted to EoC again. Not sure why this happened Can anyone help to explain that to me?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

During or after?

-

Pollution caused by restarts is because of fuel wasted trying to get the engine spinning. Starter motors typically aren't powerful enough to start the engine wiithout some assistance from the combustion itself. So, with most motors, the fuel maps are run extra rich at start-up and when cranking.

Mazda minimizes this by priming a cylinder with fuel for the restart under iStop. But it still requires fuel to start the engine.

You don't have this problem with a bump-start. The motive force for the engine comes from the tires, not the starter or the motor itself... and that's more than enough.

Bump-start: No fuel enrichment mode. Just a seamless move between engine off and engine on...
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (07-08-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 03:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
There's another problem with the restarts, which is that running the engine at low duty cycle means the cats will cool off considerably.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
I bump start the Focus on occasion to save the starter motor if I am parked facing downhill.

At my last job, where I would travel for work, I used to do it quite frequently. My office was on somewhat of a hill. I could coast out of the parking lot and for a few city blocks before bump starting the car.

It's bad on the motor mounts. There is a broken motor mount on the Focus. But I blame that on all of the city miles and the car having a bad motor mount.

Noticed that I can't do it in 2nd gear (or first). The car just stops.

Reply  Post New Thread