Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Carbon dioxide controls Earth's temperature

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I have the cure for human driven, CO2 GHG, global warming:

Peak oil
Peak natural gas
Peak coal

I have done a lot to reduce my carbon footprint, for various reasons. I teach environmental stewardship classes at my church, etc etc etc.

Even if global warming is absolutely true, and going to cause horrific problems, I am not convinced that we "eco-conscious", and frugality driven, and hypermiler competitive types, will have any significant influence on the big growing economies of the world, right now.

Let's face realities. China is building two new coal fired power plants, per week!

India and China have a rapidly growing middle class. And let's face it, North Americans are the best marketing people in the history of the universe. They want what we have had for decades. The emerging middle class in the former 3rd world, care little for our enviro concerns.

The event that will bring all this back into balance, is fossil fuels becoming VERY expensive.

That will happen in the next decade or so, whether we want it to or not.

Then, we will all get really good at conservation, whether we want to or not.

A few of us will be leading the charge. But don't get your hopes up until then. We're just not going to influence China, India, etc, with Kyoto protocols, or anything like it.

In the meantime, I feel obligated to do the best I can with what I have.

Please carry on.

troy

want to build 150 mpg diesel streamliner.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #93 (permalink)
Banned

Yep, the intent of the politically induced plan is to level the global playing field: which means the Chinese will be enjoying new found prosperity and driving around in cars while we in the Western world will be reduced to walking and riding bikes (like the Chinese had to do in Chairman Mao's utopian People's Republic).

Now if you live in China, that scenario is a very attractive one. But if you live in America or the Western world at large, it's not.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Fix the problem and stop whining.

regards
Mech

Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Fix the problem and stop whining.
Let's all get fixing! It will be hard, but well worth it.

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 11-02-2010 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Neil. I sent you a PM (unanswered) about conversing with Brad Jaeger of Edison. I had received an email from him earlier this year about my design. He told me to contact him after the X prize competition was over.

I was hoping to meet with them and discuss a cooperative arrangement that would consider my technology.

You see, the next step is to have a reputable organization give my patent a small amount of time and consideration. It's an ongoing pursuit. I have spent hundreds of hours in this pursuit, and the responders particularly Va Tech saw the promise in the design.

I have other potential pathways to a cooperative arrangement but nothing I would consider firm. In many cases, including Edison, no response seems to be the typical reaction.

If it was a rejection with some evidence of the determination involved in rejection then I could understand, but no response smacks of rejection without consideration.

If the US does not consider every path to technology that could make a difference in our energy utilization and application, than we condemn ourselves to be followers instead of the technology leaders we were in the 20th century.

I appreciate your concern about the environment, and although I may not share your beliefs exactly the same way you do, I appreciate your concern for the future.

My business required me to solve problems every day. If I did not solve problems, the bills didn't get paid.

My design is principally based around the EPA documents that stated that an 80% improvement in mileage can be achieved by power train developments. Not engine, aero, or fuel consuming principle power production in vehicles, but just power train.

That does not exclude developments in aero, batteries, or other areas of development.
In fact it is all inclusive, with individual improvements compounded by other individual improvements.

The other day I missed a show at the Hampton Coliseum where Edison was showing their x prize winning vehicle. It seems to be the story of my life in this pursuit. The opportunity to talk with those who have the power to move this design forward choose (for reasons I can not fathom) to ignore what may be a key component, while we bleed 300 billion in national worth, which if not bled could mean 3 trillion in new money in the US economy every year, and the death of the monopoly called OPEC.

Not a future dream which requires some significant technological achievement at some time in the future, but a design that could be incorporated into every vehicle on the planet in a very short period of time. A design that would allow the vehicle itself to accomplish high efficiency transportation automatically.

I was raised to believe that people are not the problem. The system is the problem. I look at cars today and see archaic transportation technology that still uses systems developed 50 years ago. Recently we see some real improvement but the pace of real improvement is pitiful.

Sorry for the rambling. It is truly sad to watch us bleed our children's financial security while we all seem to be content with arguing ad nauseum.

regards
Mech

Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #97 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
I'm not sure if I remember the PM, sorry. I don't know how well the VLC will be adapted to anything but rear wheel drive.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
That study is being questioned even within circles of GW advocates for proving what it assumes right from the start !
It's reasoning in circles.

And that's not my critique.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rear wheel drive is no problem, and it takes half the number of units so the cost to make them from scratch would be half as much.

I have not completely given up on converting a VW based (old type) to the design, but the cost would be a significant chunk of the net worth it took the wife and I to accumulate over the past 3 decades.

If the vehicle could be driven with the emergency brake for all stopping (which I can do unless someone does something stupid around me) then rear wheel drive would be fine.

As I said before, the design does not exclude virtually any power train configuration you can imagine, and it allows most hypermiling techniques to be incorporated into the vehicles "intelligent" power train. This would take the effort away from the driver and make it integral with the vehicle.

That's addressing the system, not the individual.

Regardless of the method of applying stored energy to convert into vehicle motion.

About 10 billion gone today, thats 100 billion in new capital when it goes through our banking system. Thats been really bothering me since before our national debt was half what it is today.

Also it would cost less than any conventional manufactured vehicle, so there is no period to recover the intitial investment.

regards
Mech

Old 11-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
We would not be here but for our atmosphere, and carbon dioxide is critical to making it warm enough. There is no question that without carbon dioxide, life on Eaarth would not be what it is -- and possibly there would be no life without it.

We evolved with the carbon dioxide in the range below 280ppm. Last time it was a lot higher than 350ppm, the ocean level was about 80 feet higher... Sounds like fun -- let's keep doing what we're doing and see how it turns out!?

By the way, we also totally depend on the magnetic poles, since without them, the atmosphere would be stripped away by the solar wind. And to gauge how cold it could get without an insulating atmosphere, look at our own Moon -- some parts of it are close to 0 Kelvin.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread