Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by watercat View Post
I don't think were talking about a security kill switch, at least I'm not. a switch to let you coast with the engine off. It just happens mine is hooked to my clutch pedal starter switch and it takes some practice to use it. just stepping on the pedal turns off the cam signal and I would think no one would ever figure it out. some times it gets me.
i had a security kill switch on my honda, actually it was 3 switches total. 1 to interrupt the starter, 1 to interrupt the ignition, and a third to kill the fuel pump. i also had a fuel cut-off valve and a relief valve that would recirc the fuel if the pump was running when the valve was shut. all of it was hidden so there was virtually no way to steal my car, short of towing it. you could have a kill switch for EOC that could be used for security as well, depending on how you wired it and where you placed it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Piwoslaw -

What a bummer. When I worked at night at college I was 15+ miles from home. I was paranoid that I'd lock myself out of my car, so I used a long key chain (dog collar/leash chain) for *years* to keep the ignition key attached to me at all times. I still use the chain for my keys, but now I have two keys. One goes in the ignition and the other key stays attached to me at all times, and the remote-door-lock is on *another* separate attachment that I use for my pocket-watch. I have locked myself out but I've always had the spare or the remote at hand.

I am also happy to say that my cave-man 1999 S-Series won't auto-lock. Thank goodness for that!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (02-24-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
On my car the doors will lock after a certain period of inactivity - basic anti-theft feature - so I'm very wary of leaving the keys in the car
When travelling a considerable distance with a passenger, I always give my spare key to the passenger.
If you unlock a VW it will lock again after a minute of no activity. If you unlock it and pop a door or bootlid it will stay unlocked pretty much forever. I found this out after A-Jnr emptied the boot of his birthday present a few weeks early last year.

Still at least it wasn't Mr Tea-Leaf.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
True... and it's even more frustrating when the VW no longer detects when the driver's door has opened... like on mine... apparently the little microswitch within the door has failed. So I'll unlock (with the remote), get in the car, put on seatbelt etc, put key in ignition, <car autolocks>, turn the key, car doesn't start but the alarm does. Then I panic and it takes me another (what seems like) 5 minutes to take the key out, press the correct button (the key and remote are '1 unit'), and get calmed down enough to try again.

I know I need to take the door apart to fix this, but haven't had the time to tackle that yet.

While there are a few things about newer cars that I really like, there are definitely more things that I could do without (including "automatic climate control"!!).
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
The PRC.

I have air con which in the Fab is considered a weak spot. I suspect its probably going to fail this summer which not a biggie in Scotland - you need wellies before coolling. Less is more though, its some weight I can remove perhaps...
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Niner_xA - '05 Scion xA
90 day: 35.82 mpg (US)

Horse Hauler - '95 Ford F-250 XLT
90 day: 13.47 mpg (US)

Butterkup - '02 Mazda Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
All of my vehicles have a spare key zip tied to the frame.
I used it one when a helper went to the van and left the keys inside.
My wifes, hers gets used every few months.......
Most cars have a "chip" in the key that is required by the ECU to start the car. However, the chip isn't used when unlocking the door. Thus, if you can find a physically similar key base you can cut a copy of the key that will open the door in an emergency but not allow a searching thief to drive off with the car.

Personally, I'm just paranoid about my keys and always grab them as I leave, even if I'm just stopping to fill up gas. It's such a habit that I'll even grab the keys when I leave my wife in the car.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

I take out the keys and lock the car every time I get out, even for fuel. Habit from my dad, ex-cop.

I have locked Mrs A in a few times.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I live where it is still possible for a vehicle to have never had the keys out of the ignition, and the house never locked!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
I don't exit my car without the key in hand, or a window down. Leaving a door open and unlocked isn't good enough for me, even though my car never locks the doors automatically. I don't care if anyones in the car, or if its raining/snowing. A window goes down if the keys are left in the car for whatever reason.

I might be a little crazy, but its a good way to never lock the keys in the car.
+1

Mostly I just use the rule - make sure key is visible in hand when exiting the car. I'm not keen on leaving it in the car for whatever reason - but if I do, the window is down.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The green machine - '94 Geo Metro
Nobody wants ther geo'esclade to be jacked ever. so i use the factory geo cant jack my ride anti theft system. people really live where you have to take the keys out of your car? Time to move.

Reply  Post New Thread