Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
real/CAD...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
For reals? CAD simulation? Thought experiment?

Needs NASCAR roof fences?

I'm looking forward to this.
In 1980,SAE published a 2-book set on fuel economy.They had the truck aerodynamics research data from NASA and Freightliner.Hucho is included as well.NASA's is available online.With these materials,along with the GM/AeroVironment Sunraycer data/Goro Tamai' The Leading Edge,MIT solar racing team book,we have enough material to analyze virtually any vehicle combination,by reverse-engineering,and careful estimations.That's all engineers can do.All the formulas are at the top of the Aero Forum page,with the calculator.Unless your a millionaire,there won't be any CFD that would do us any good.
Roof fences would only threaten rollover safety I'm afraid.The less transverse flow separation the better.I wouldn't really call it an experiment,this is mechanical engineering.Figure 6-hours to do a single trailer combination.One drawing took over 20-hours.
So far,the take-away is,there's nothing wrong pulling a trailer with an EV.All the problems are with the trailers.Even the Bowlus is 'wrong' by 50%.

freebeard (02-12-2020), Grant-53 (02-12-2020), ldjessee00 (02-19-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #102 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

See the SAE Automotive Engineering magazine for detailed information. Understand that appropriate technology is a function of the available resources and local conditions. EV do well in an urban driving cycle. Outside the city limits a hybrid vehicle has the advantage. Whatever religious or political views we may have affects our preferences but inanimate technology doesn't care. Buy the shovel or screwdriver that fits your hand then use it safely and responsibly.

I use some of the same reference books Aerohead mentioned in designing body shells for upright bikes.

Last edited by Grant-53; 02-12-2020 at 04:06 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Unless your a millionaire,there won't be any CFD that would do us any good.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=why+blender+is+free

Free and Open Source software is superior to pay-by-the-seat software. The physics engines and OpenVDB are in there. Someone no doubt is sharpening that tool right now. If the hardware is a problem, Amazon will rent you space in the cloud.

Above my pay grade, unfortunately.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
See the SAE Automotive Engineering magazine for detailed information. Understand that appropriate technology is a function of the available resources and local conditions. EV do well in an urban driving cycle. Outside the city limits a hybrid vehicle has the advantage. Whatever religious or political views we may have affects our preferences but inanimate technology doesn't care. Buy the shovel or screwdriver that fits your hand then use it safely and responsibly.
Show me that zero-carbon hybrid and you'll have a conversation.Has the SAE been completely populated by morons? Perhaps the hybrid advantage comes at the cost of the planet? Think locally,act locally? Can you conceive of a world in which preference is de-linked from religion or politics,and is driven by exclusively by knowledge and awareness ?
Old 02-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #105 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Show me that zero-carbon hybrid and you'll have a conversation.Has the SAE been completely populated by morons? Perhaps the hybrid advantage comes at the cost of the planet? Think locally,act locally? Can you conceive of a world in which preference is de-linked from religion or politics,and is driven by exclusively by knowledge and awareness ?
Show me a zero-carbon vehicle of any sort. If no emissions is the only acceptable standard, then killing oneself is the only rational conclusion. Fortunately, zero is not necessary.

I can't conceive of a world without politics and religion (loosely defined) because those are the only mechanisms to derive value and assign social authority. A world without those things is comatose; a vegetative state. That's the only way for humans to be technically living, but without meaning.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Show me a zero-carbon vehicle of any sort. If no emissions is the only acceptable standard, then killing oneself is the only rational conclusion. Fortunately, zero is not necessary.

I can't conceive of a world without politics and religion (loosely defined) because those are the only mechanisms to derive value and assign social authority. A world without those things is comatose; a vegetative state. That's the only way for humans to be technically living, but without meaning.
You know very well that the context is,that once the vehicle is manufactured,and in service,that it's 'fuel' source is renewable.Politics and religion has never been part of my consumer calculus.I have no personal experience with a world like that.Your example has no resonance for me.I experience no shortage of 'meaning.'
While humans have probably never experienced life without hierarchy,some probably have existed without politics.
We're not allowed to discuss religion.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #107 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
I experience no shortage of 'meaning.'
Then you experience no shortage of faith in things that cannot be proven. You've assigned value to things absent any proof of the "goodness" of it. That's what I mean by religion. Everyone has it. Those that don't are comatose.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-12-2020), deluxx (02-28-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Then you experience no shortage of faith in things that cannot be proven. You've assigned value to things absent any proof of the "goodness" of it. That's what I mean by religion. Everyone has it. Those that don't are comatose.
Faith is not part of my life.I'll settle for what is.'Goodness' is a subjective word.It can't be quantified.There are no 'Goodness-o-meters.'I attempt to incorporate no such language in my communications.To say that 'everyone' implies that you personally know 7.5-billion people,and their most secret and privileged thoughts.That's hard to abide by.Americans are described by some as, mindless automatons,wandering aimlessly in the dark,muttering incantations.Is it these that you believe comatose?
How much proof do you need,that if you were to be pushed off El Capitan,at Yosemite Park,that in all likelihood you would not survive the fall.You have no a priori knowledge.It remains an unproven theory until you're pushed.Do you cling to that theory in the face of uncertainty? The theory has value,absent any proof?
Old 02-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #109 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Faith is not part of my life.I'll settle for what is.'Goodness' is a subjective word.It can't be quantified.There are no 'Goodness-o-meters.'I attempt to incorporate no such language in my communications.
A decision involves value, and value derives from faith in unprovable things. There isn't a single thing defined or proven that does not have at its root, an assumption that can be proven or defined.

Blindness to faith is not evidence of lack of faith.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-15-2020), Xist (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I think the forum ate my post?

Quote:
Show me a zero-carbon vehicle of any sort. If no emissions is the only acceptable standard, then killing oneself is the only rational conclusion.
Thank goodness there is a loophole!

A bamboo bicycle from 1896
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_bicycle

A decision may involve impulsiveness.

Reply  Post New Thread