Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The OP wants to drive Uber 30,000 miles per year

The Grand Caravan is rated at 20 mpg combined. The OP gets 20 mpg combined today driving a Saturn Ion (which is rated 26 combined) so even the combined rating is likely optimistic for taxi use.

Caravan:
30,000 / 20 mpg = 1500 gallons x $2.50 = $3,750

Prius
30,000 / 50 mpg = 600 gallon x $2.50 = $1,500

That is a difference of $2,250 per year or $188 per month.

If we use the city rating for the Caravan the difference jumps to $2912 per year or $243 per month.
Maybe but I really doubt a part time Uber driver is going to get 30,000 mostly city miles a year. A 24 hour cab in NYC only goes about 60,000 miles a year with 3 different drivers a day. Traffic is slow there though. The Prius is not going to get 50 mpg in taxi use either. Uber XL does pay .3-.8 per mile more as well so if you did do 30,000 miles all XL you would make at least $9000 more in fares if not $24,000 while all of the added fuel costs would be deductible.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-09-2019, 01:09 AM   #62 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm telling you, nobody wants to be jerked around town in a manual. It's fine for commuting, but you won't see any taxis using a manual.
Depends on the car. I used to drive Uber in a Saab 9-3 Aero near Toronto with a turbo and manual tx. Passengers loved the ride because it was super comfy inside and I got lots of positive comments regarding the manual tx. Most people my age or younger can't drive standard so they think it's cool.

OP should look at a G2 Insight with 100k miles.
- Batteries don't usually go bad until past 200K
- Car is totally undervalued on craigslist because no one wants one
- Just don't buy a 2012 or a 2013
- Some very simple and cheap mods let it get Prius MPGs
- See the info bar in my signature regarding my 2010 Insight
The Following User Says Thank You to Natalya For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Point taken, I likely won’t do 30k a year, but I’m hoping for 500 miles per weekend when I can work on a weekend, on trips when I must work during the week, more realistic would be an expectation of 2-300mi...

And I’ve also gotten positive comments on driving a stick in Morgantown, as the terrain is extremely hilly...

My last Ecotec project...
Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #64 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Maybe but I really doubt a part time Uber driver is going to get 30,000 mostly city miles a year. A 24 hour cab in NYC only goes about 60,000 miles a year with 3 different drivers a day. Traffic is slow there though. The Prius is not going to get 50 mpg in taxi use either. Uber XL does pay .3-.8 per mile more as well so if you did do 30,000 miles all XL you would make at least $9000 more in fares if not $24,000 while all of the added fuel costs would be deductible.

As I said earlier, the guy I know at work did 75K a year driving full time. It is certainly possible.

You only get Uber XL pay when the customer requests a XL ride.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:44 AM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Hence me not being willing to have a Caravan or similar vehicle... biggest I’d ever consider is the 5

My last Ecotec project...
Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #66 (permalink)
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Can the second row seat three? You mentioned a fold and tumble seat...
Hello 19bonestock88,

Not in the North American market. The Mazda5 is 2, 2, 2 seating. Front buckets, middle fold and tumble buckets, and a split flat-folding rear bench. 6 seatbelts total. For passenger toting service I'd say its a 3+2 seater ride (similar to the 2+2 rating for some convertibles/sports cars - the back seats are, well, they are there...). There was a center 3-spot bench seat offered in the UK/EU market, IIRC, but good luck importing/finding one - and that center position would likely be pretty tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Hence me not being willing to have a Caravan or similar vehicle... biggest I’d ever consider is the 5
We got the 5 because, at the time, it had the best MPG of all the minivans, and was the smallest of them, and IIRC the best MPG of all 6-seat vehicles. The MT would likely do better on MPG, but the auto has been acceptable for us. My wife doesn't like sitting up high or leaning over a lot in turns, so an SUV was out.

Oh, forgot to mention: seat bolsters wear out over time - ours are squashed pretty bad on both driver and passenger outside positions. Seatbelts are also having trouble retracting these days - probably kid-gunk and dust in the mechanism. The seats in general are a bit firm, but we've done OK on multiple 450+ mile trips. I'm serious about the tires, though. It is super picky. Too much positive camber designed in. It comes with 205/50R17 tires. This is a minivan, but the suspension is set up like a sporty-ish compact car (like the Mazda3 and Focus it shares a platform with). So in regular minivan usage it isn't exactly optimized. 16" rims fit, though, so 205/55R16's are on it now. A bit more sidewall for the potholes.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #67 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
May I hijack this thread a bit and ask for more experience with Mazda 5? Any reliability issues? shock absorbers, oil leakage? rust?. I need a car to haul my wife, three kids and a stroller and this seems adequate. cannot afford mistake though. what to watch when buying used M5?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
May I hijack this thread a bit and ask for more experience with Mazda 5? Any reliability issues? shock absorbers, oil leakage? rust?. I need a car to haul my wife, three kids and a stroller and this seems adequate. cannot afford mistake though. what to watch when buying used M5?
Try here:

Mazda Mazda5 Reliability - Dashboard Light

Slightly below industry average in terms of mechanical reliability, with the transmission (auto) being the main point of failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
seifrob (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #69 (permalink)
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Mazda5 info

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
Hello seifrob,

Ok, I'll fill your hijack request.

See my post here.

It's been getting louder (road noise) as the mileage climbs higher, up over 150k+ miles now. Part of that is likely door seals not being perfect anymore. Part of that may be due to being rear-ended twice, badly enough to need some body repair work. Being a unibody, that probably tweaked door/door opening alignment somewhat. Also had an encounter between a parking garage roof support beam and the luggage-rack mounted box, so the roof got dented a bit.

Generally we've had no issues with the automatic transmission, contra Ecky's link. We were advised by our previous mechanic that changing the auto transmission fluid every 60k is pretty much mandatory if you want to get decent life out of it. At 150k+ it's doing fine after 2 changes. I think it might be starting to shift a bit "funny", but it is almost continuously in use as a family hauler. I do know that it is easy to "confuse" the transmission if you do a slowly increasing pressure on the throttle as the car speeds up. If I do it just wrong, it downshifts, then within a very short period of time hits the rev/throttle angle/whatever transmission program limit and upshifts again. Annoying, but avoidable.

No oil leaks. If you go to a cheapo oil change place, you may get oil stink as they spill it. I did A/B testing of two different mechanics and picked the one that never had oil stink after an oil change.

I'm occasionally getting a whiff of coolant smell when I get out of it after driving, but it doesn't appear to be using any and my mechanic hasn't commented on any issues. Runs fine.

Rust: covered in my post above. Generally at least the first gen ones rust pretty easily in the back wheelwell area. But we never wash it and live in the salt belt, so it could be considered paint abuse.

Struts (shock absorber equivalent) seem to last about ~50-75k miles or so. Had a rear one lock up and destroy the upper mount. Nasty banging noise, but inexpensive to fix. Earlier models had an issue with leaking factory struts - that's probably what got ours.

Bushings in the suspension are probably ~80-120k interval units. We've gone through the entire frontend (hubs, control arms, struts, balljoints) to clear a vibration issue that developed over time, after changing wheels and tires and multiple re-balancings. The rear end at this time is in need of overhaul (frozen adjusters, some torn bushings), but is still within alignment specs.

Also as mentioned in my post above the front undertray (at least on gen 1 models) gets trashed easily. The front airdam hangs low and scrapes a lot, too.

We've had a few no-restart incidents on a long drive in horrid icy snowstorm weather. Turned out to be something in the EVAP system and/or I suspect something akin to icing in the intake. Don't really know what caused it, but we had the EVAP system part fixed ($250?) and the problem never repeated itself. The issue showed up as a failure to restart after stopping for gas after a long drive in really crappy heavy snowstorm with heavy ice buildup on the vehicle. Always restarted after a 5-30 minute wait, though - I didn't "fix" it, it self-healed, so to speak. Annoying problem, but didn't strand us.

Tires: check the inside edge of the tread. This chassis (at least gen 1) eats tires it doesn't like. I've said this a few times, but it bears repeating. The chassis is set up with a lot of positive camber, per Mazda's "Zoom-Zoom" branding/marketing sporty image. It does corner well. If you search around, there were threads from Europe about wearing tires down to the cords on the inside edge, with the easily visible part otherwise appearing just fine. We had a *really* good run with some Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires, but the follow-up design DWS 06 did not do nearly as well. The current Michelin Premier A/S are crap.

Note that since the suspension is the same as a Mazda3/Ford Focus you can get all sorts of handling goodies. I was seriously considering adjustable rear control arms so that I could have the camber dialed back to a less sporty value for better tire life, but the tires will be warrantied (dealer says the tires are crap... so why'd they sell 'em to me?) and the alignment is within spec (or .01 out on one value, close enough that the tire dealer considers it not worth the effort to change and they'll sign off on it as being in spec) so not bothering until something gets clunky back there.

If you're really enthusiastic, MazdaSpeed3 parts fit, too.

Oh, front swaybar bushings rot out *fast*. Bad clunking noise over bumps. Doesn't affect performance/driveability in any way at all. Apparently you have to pull a lot of other parts out of the way to get to the mounts to replace the bushings, so it isn't a cheap job. Wait until you're doing the front control arms or whatever. Good thing to ding the seller on though "it clunks over bumps, that's a $$$ job, gimme discount kthnks".

Second gen theoretically has improved HVAC flow to the back half of the vehicle - more ducting - and the seatbelt geometry is improved in the third row as well. Hits better on the upper torso for smaller people. Also has a "swoopier" body panel design. That likely increases body stiffness, but looks more expensive to fix.

We find it fits our family well. Myself, my wife, our two kids, and my mother-in-law packed for a long weekend at a Renaissance Faire 450 miles away. Stroller, wagon, costumes, bags, etc. Removeable roof-rack and roof-top box a must for that (wagon and most of the bags/costumes go up top), and it doesn't drop the freeway mileage too bad either. The car is low enough that the roof-top box isn't a pain to install - I can do it myself. Loading is accomplished by standing in the open sliding door, feet on the door-jam. Not bad, really. For regular around-town work, with one rearmost seat folded down there's room for 5 people plus the stroller and diaper bag no problem. Might want to take your stroller to see the vehicle you are considering and test-fit - getting the wheels and handle to clear the rear hatch sometimes takes really specific positioning. IIRC (it has been at least 4 years since younger kid came out of the stroller) we might have been able to get the stroller behind the last row seats. Again - take yours and test-fit. The little "folding umbrella" type strollers fit real well - this was one of those convertible jobs that had the "click-in" baby carrier that fit the removeable "click-in" seat bases. Baby seats/boosters fit fine in all four rear positions. We generally put smallest in the passenger center, with next bigger kid right behind on the same side. Now they change up pretty regularly. Smaller kid is almost out of the booster. Needs another inch or so.

The sliding doors are *very nice* in parking lots - when the kids slam the door open to get out in an excited rush, they can't hit the other cars! Plus it makes access to the 3rd row a lot better for buckling a kid into their 5-point car-seat harness. I do wish sliding doors were an option on other small vehicles, they are soooo nice!

Best tiny minivan we could find. You may have other compact options where you are, though.

General things to check: maintenance history (transmission flushes every 60k miles or better!), rust, check engine light, tires, swaybar links, seatbelt retraction, and all the usual stuff you look at on a used car. We had to replace the rear swaybar links once, not too expensive as they are easy to get to. Rusted out. Oh, we had an issue with the MP3 disc changer - after being rear-ended, the discs got stuck. Something like $350+ to get the unit exchanged for a repaired one, not including labor or shipping. This is apparently a common issue on the in-dash changers, and it requires dis-assembly of the unit to remove discs/fix the problem. Since the MP3 changer was an upgrade for us, I swapped in the plain CD changer that the dealership left in a box in the van when we bought it, and added an aftermarket auxiliary input jack at the same time. These cars don't take aftermarket stereo equipment easily due to the integration of the HVAC controls and the radio controls. Aftermarket sytems that keep all functionality are rare and expensive. (or at least they were last time I looked into it a few years ago). Newer cars have more inputs, I think.

If you have the Mazda remote-start system (or any other dealer-installed remote-start system) make sure that the sensor that detects that the engine is running is installed. It took us 3 years to get the system to reliably start the car in suuuuper cold weather because it didn't know the car hadn't started! First year they said it was the battery. Second year they lengthened the cranking time. Third year I got mad, researched the heck out of it, and told 'em what they forgot. They fixed it, no more problems. Symptom of improperly installed system: when it is really super cold out (-20F or so air temp) and you hit the button, the car will give the "chirp" from the horn and the single headlight flash, crank for the pre-programmed time, fail to start, give the normal "chirp" and headlight flash of a successful start, sit there for 15 minutes with the car effectively in "run" position with everything on that you left on last, then shut off. I forget if it chirps/flashes when it shuts off. And it will be cold inside. When it is correctly set up, if it fails to start, it will give you a "double chirp" on the horn/double flash on the headlights and turn off. So you can try again, which usually gets it to catch. Smallish battery, so slow cranking in winter when it is really cold out is not unexpected.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to cajunfj40 For This Useful Post:
seifrob (03-14-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Other smaller CUVs with 3rd row, Suzuki XL7, 300+ hp V6 I couldn't find any with manual tranny even though wiki list, last made in 2008-9.

Nissan Rogue 3rd row is an option starting in 2015. 2.5 cvt.

Mitsubishi Outlander, 2.4 cvt is base engine, GT gets 3.0 v6(timing belt) and 6 sp auto I think. I think 2011 is when the 3rd row became standard.

Kia Sorento, 2013 has 3 rows, 4c or v6 with traditional auto. FWD 4c 26 mpg hwy.

Last edited by roosterk0031; 03-12-2019 at 01:26 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread