Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
HPV Tussie

Hello from Germany

Hello,

i'm from Germany. In contrast to most of the others i am not interested in modding my car - it is quite ok as it is, and it seems to be aerodynamically quite good (Ford S-Max, age 12).

I am more interested in aerodynamics and - pretty uncommon for a woman, i know - improving my velomobile, which actually is the slowest of the fast looking vehicles.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4374.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	31586  

Last edited by beate; 01-21-2022 at 07:35 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-21-2022, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I don't see velomobiles so often in my country.
Old 01-22-2022, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Welcome. As Timothy Leary said "Find the others".

You have one of the nicer velomobili here, you'll find a lot of Coroplast.

Will you be documenting your own progress or looking for suggestions from others? I think it needs some sort of fish tail. Are you limited by regulation or weight?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr may not see many; OTOH tadpoles are not uncommon here, mostly ICE and electric, being as the Arcimoto factory is on the other side of town. Back in the day, there was an Electrathon racing series.

For a body shell, I favor stitch and glue kayak construction. I have the geometry sized to the Arcimoto FUV but it is morphable into any fineness ratio. I have a reservation number but no FUV yet.

Note the work kach22i posted in Interesting Aerodynamic Cars at Permalink #3950. Based on that, I'm going to add skegs to my design.

One more thing... 2022-02-22 Arcimoto will introduce their Platform2. A new 'micromobility solution' in the US$2-3K price range. That should be interesting.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
HPV Tussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You have one of the nicer velomobili here, you'll find a lot of Coroplast.
Actually mine is an old classic

Quote:
Will you be documenting your own progress or looking for suggestions from others?
More of the latter and especially regarding details on aerodynamics. Mostly because i actually tried a lot, and with very limited succes.

Quote:
I think it needs some sort of fish tail.
Which will unfortunately break the design idea, but you are right. I am going to discuss a prototype later on.

Quote:
Are you limited by regulation or weight?
With a velomobile You are ALWAYs limited by weight. Mostly Your own one ;-) No, as long as it remains a bicycle we can almost do whatever we want. I actually removed an old electric support which is not legal according to current regulations (too fast with fresh battery).

regarding your design idea:
You are aware that the open front wheels will be an aerodynamic disaster?

Quote:
Based on that, I'm going to add skegs to my design.
Apparently You are mostly interested in velomobiles for every day use. Are You aware of the Leiba Classic?

Quote:
One more thing... 2022-02-22 Arcimoto will introduce their Platform2. A new 'micromobility solution' in the US$2-3K price range. That should be interesting.
For people in the USA. But here in Europe similar solutions start evolving - Renault Twizzy, Citroen AMI are already on the road and bicycles like the Podbike Frikar and the Quadvelo - heavy 4 wheeled Pedelec bicycles - with weather protection - are said to go into production this year
(Unfortunately i need to refer to some image search...)
The Following User Says Thank You to beate For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

duckduckgo.com/?q=Leiba+Classic%3F&iax=images&ia=images

A member here had something like the Quadvelo, maybe I will remember a name or search term. It was a rattle-trap.
Quote:
regarding your design idea:
You are aware that the open front wheels will be an aerodynamic disaster?
The donor vehicle is open-wheeled. Their platform2 will have a narrow front track, but it is supposedly a carver (leans in corners). The design is nothing more than a mathematical expression, a mid-poly octahedral symmetry spheroid. It's just calculable points on a convex hull. It can stretch and shrink on three axes. You could for instance take the rear [approximate] third for a Coroplast tail to fit your velomobile, the cut line would line up pretty well.

Is your sight line above or below that edge of the canopy?

Old 01-22-2022, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
HPV Tussie

Quote:
A member here had something like the Quadvelo, maybe I will remember a name or search term. It was a rattle-trap.
There is a dutch velomobile named Quattrovelo which you probably mean. The forthcoming Quadvelo is entirely different: it looks like a small car and is a lot heavier than the Quattrovelo.
Quote:
You could for instance take the rear [approximate] third for a Coroplast tail to fit your velomobile, the cut line would line up pretty well.
I actually did a prototype i would like to discuss. But i feel that it might be helpful to link to pictures in the net to ask specific questions.

Quote:
Is your sight line above or below that edge of the canopy?
It is entirely below the edge of the canopy.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
HPV Tussie

BTW: what would be the best place to discuss the aerodynamic aspects of that vehicle? The arodynamics section or the section for all those non-cars (where i would show other technical aspects of that velomobile if there is sufficient interest)?
Old 01-22-2022, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Whichever; you're done with Introductions. IMHO, of course.

If you post your own pix, use an Ecomodder album or Attachments. Hot linking from Photobucket or others can go stale.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
HPV Tussie

Quote:
Whichever; you're done with Introductions. IMHO, of course.
IMHO as well. That's why i asked.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, I dodged the question....

I'd say the main thing is to go to ecomodder.com/forum/member-beate.html and create one or more albums and populate them. That sort of becomes a ground anchor.

Look at the Threads and Posts columns on the main page. In order: Central>Aerodynamics>The Lounge>General Efficiency>Fossil Fuel Free>Instrumentation.

Search is your friend. ecomodder.com/forum/google_search_results.php?...&q=HPV...

As a result of that search it looks like an under-utilized feature is tags. www.google.com/url?...&q=https://ecomodder.com/forum/tags/trike.html... A dozen occurrences between 2010 and 2016. They are available [up to 5] in the new thread editor.

All the above is subject to potential error. I'm being driven from the house by a need for groceries.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
beate (01-22-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread