Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
We used to haul our own to the dump. Locals could dump trash for free, and the local garbage company could optionally be hired to pick up trash.

The local trash company was purchased by a large regional hauler, and, coincidentally I'm sure, the county made trash pickup mandatory and paid (about $55 per quarter.) The regional hauler got a no-bid contract to pick up trash and run the dump. Weeks later, the dump started charging for trash dumping.

The best part is that since the regional hauler has a no-bid contract, they randomly don't pick up trash, and they leave the cans out in the middle of the road. There's no way to opt out, our property taxes sure didn't go down, and when you call them, they basically tell you, "You have no choice but to use us, and we're not going to change how we do things."

Love that "free market."

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hiya,

We pay $2 per 30 gallon barrel -- and single stream, unlimited recycling (paper, metal, glass, & plastic all in one bin(s)) is picked up every other week for free.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 02-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My wife and I were paying ~$30 per month for curbside pickup of trash and recycling. Dissatisfied with the price and service, we started taking it to the local transfer station ourselves. $6 for five bags of trash, and normal houshold recyclables accepted for free. I just made my second trip in the past five months. We recycle as much as we can and compost. Keeping meat scraps in a bag in the freezer keeps the trash from smelling, even when it's been bagged in the garage for a couple months. After 2.5 months I've been surprised by the proportions of stuff. ~5 bags of trash, a couple boxes of cans/jars/bottles, and almost 4 full copy paper boxes of paper products. Quarterly costs have dropped from about $120 to about $15 and a couple extra hours of my time.

To answer the original question. Bulk disposal is ~$60/ton
Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
It is included in my taxes, and if I compare my output to the average on the same flat rate, I'm paying maybe $50/bag. I've learned to check on what happens to stuff I separate for recycling. Bottles can at least be used in place of gravel for drain rock.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

pickup - '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 Sport
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

Focus - '16 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 31.46 mpg (US)
$20 per month, added on to the water bill. We get two 50 gal containers, one for trash and one for recyclables. Once a week pickup per container. Average about 2/3 full 13 gallon trash bag and maybe 1/3 full recyclable container per week. No opt out. Glass, metal, paper, plastic can be mixed in the blue container.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Albino Raven

The Green Wedge - '00 Toyota Echo Standard trim
I'm in the country and I pay $20 a month cash. It's a lad with a truck, the deal is done in cash and he hauls it away weekly. He keeps the cans/bottles for the recycling center for a bit of extra dosh. He does everything off the books of course. Does decent business too.

Way I figure it, he deals with something I would rather not do. lol

Reply  Post New Thread