Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Eddles's Astra - '01 Vauxhall Astra ECO4
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)
To avoid postage and customs costs, I've found this screen here. ($60) Despite what the description says, I think the resolution is more likely to be 800x240. I would be mounting this in the sun visor so would avoid the reflection on the windscreen problem.

As for the camera, I've got my eyes on this one. ($40) Would this be good enough for my needs?

Or should I spend a little more and get a CCD camera? ($90) I think CCD cameras work better when there's bright lights in the darkness?

Thanks for advice in advance!

My aim: to achieve 3L/100km.
Best tank @ 65mph: 864.2 miles 69.36MPGus 3.4l/100km
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddles
Am trying to figure out what screen/camera to get for my car to replace the side mirrors. I'm going for a single camera in the aerial on the roof and small mirrors inside the car for the sides immediately next to the car. I'm considering putting the screen in the sun visor so it's easy to flip up when I leave the car to prevent people breaking in and taking it.

What resolution is your screens and are they good enough?
If you can shade them a little and position them to avoid a reflection at night, and cool them in hot summer sunshine, then they are good enough.

Quote:
As I'm in the UK, gooddeals18.com charges $43 shipping abroad, and I can get stung on customs charges so I'm looking a bit further inland.

I've found this screen here. ($60) Despite what the description says, I think the resolution is more likely to be 800x240.
I still use my optical rear view mirror a LOT, so I would not want to replace it with a screen. If you can fit that screen NEXT to the optical mirror, then it may work well. I had to avoid both the front and side airbags in my car. In the xA the area where most cars have the instrument cluster is a great location -- I just glance down and I see both sides of the car at once. I put a very small mirror on the driver's side for when I look there out of habit, or if the video mirror is not working because the car is off.

Quote:
As for the camera, I've got my eyes on this one. ($40) Would this be good enough for my needs?

Or should I spend a little more and get a CCD camera? ($90)

Your thoughts?

Thanks very much for your advice in advance, much appreciated!
I think that quality is a good thing. It would be great if the more expensive camera had better light adjustments and if it handled bright sunshine (or direct light at sunset) better.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
If you can shade them a little and position them to avoid a reflection at night, and cool them in hot summer sunshine, then they are good enough.
Hot? In the UK? My car has A/C but it's broken, and it was already broken when I brought it and I've never needed it once! So should be OK though. (Famous last words...)

Quote:
I still use my optical rear view mirror a LOT, so I would not want to replace it with a screen. If you can fit that screen NEXT to the optical mirror, then it may work well.
Agreed. Hence my plan to put it in the sun visor, it'll be next to the rear view mirror. I do want to keep the rear view mirror. I've just had a good look at 7" LCD screens on eBay, they all are 480x234 or whatever, even the ones costing $150 so the 10" should do just fine.

Quote:
I had to avoid both the front and side airbags in my car.
Luckily for me (or not!) my car is very basic, so only have the 2 standard front airbags. No side or curtain airbags here.

Quote:
In the xA the area where most cars have the instrument cluster is a great location
I agree. I've seen the pictures, and you're lucky to have that space. The Astra's dashboard is really cluttered, even before I put in all my gadgets (GPS, etc). The only bare space is right in front of the passenger seat and the airbag flap is under that.

Quote:
I think that quality is a good thing. It would be great if the more expensive camera had better light adjustments and if it handled bright sunshine (or direct light at sunset) better.
Agreed. Wish I could find out more information about that camera... I might go for the 10.2" "rear view mirror" LCD (and not put it in the rear view mirror) and the CCD camera. I'll sleep on it though!

Anyway. Thanks for advice everyone, much appreciated!

Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
I've had video cameras for 18 years, and have worked with both CCD and CMOS, and they both work fine. I would not see any reason to believe this guys claims that his CCD cams are better, I would rather hear it from an unbiased source, but I personally don't believe that his CCD cams are worth more than twice the price of the CMOS cams. CCD is older technology, and most of what you see in video cams, digital cams, phone cams, etc. is CMOS technology. It works just as well and uses less energy.

Interestingly, the videos that he has on his site give you an idea of what you will see with a bumper mounted camera, if it stays clean. You see what is directly behind you and not much else. With a roof mounted cam you could see up and over that vehicle and have a better view farther behind your vehicle.

That monitor looks similar enough for me to guess that it's the same product with different branding.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Guys,

Received the camera and the shark aerial cover. The interior of the aerial contained just a small PCB and a short wire - just unclipped that and that was it, easy. I've had a think on how to mount the camera in the aerial case and I've got 2 issues, I'm hoping you guys can help.

My first problem is that the back is curved inwards so I'm not too sure how to mount the camera on the inwards curve and make it secure and waterproof.

Secondly, while the camera seems to include a couple rings that's sloped - seems they're used for adjustment - it's not immediately obvious how to use them adjust the camera angle (i.e. where it points) and fix it on securely? I obviously need to adjust the camera before affixing the aerial on the car!

Thanks for advice in advance!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Do you have pictures? I'm not understanding your questions. Did you get the CCD cam or the CMOS?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #67 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
You'll need to sit the antenna cover on your roof with the car sitting level, and check the angle of the rear inward slope.

When you cut the hole for the camera to poke through, you'll need to mount the camera close to level, but pointing slightly down will be better than pointing slightly up.

Remember, that camera has a 110* Field... in all directions. You don't really need the up or down FOV, but side to side will be out of perspective if the camera is sorely unlevel.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The two rings that are angled on one side are so that you can "aim" the camera by clamping it in the mounting hole. In my installation, these were not used, but if the fin you got has a hole for the camera, try putting one of the angled rings on the outside and one on the inside -- and then spin them relative to each other, and you will see the range on different angles that you can achieve.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 12-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Do you have pictures? I'm not understanding your questions. Did you get the CCD cam or the CMOS?
Settled on the CMOS one.

Here's the picture:

Old 12-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #70 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Do you have a holesaw that will just barely fit over the camera? That'll be the one you want to use, and then seal the camera into the mount with hot glue or silicone caulk.

Reply  Post New Thread