Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
i would paint it so that i wouldn't have to worry about scratches. if you make a template to use when cutting it you can just cut a new piece if on breaks, try to attach it in such a way that you can remove it relatively easily

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
caferacer51 -

I like it. The C-Thru look is also cool. It may muddy-up over time, but "time will tell", so to speak.

I think you should look into a plastic other than polystyrene, which is where you are already going. Very good "v1.0".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
you may want to have a look at (what toyota calls) 'aero corners'

they have recently appeared on a lot of aerodynamics cars like the new prius, iq, citroen ds3, and some others.

basically the corners before the wheels are squared off, sometimes by agresively styled daytime light, what looks like air scoops or just add-on like bumps in case of the IQ.

but all designs seem to create a sharper corner and a more flush pannel leading up to the wheels.

this aero corner thing seems fairly new and appart from a general description i don't have much info on it, but the fact it's on cars like the prius sugests there's something good about the design.

it may also explain why some olders cars managed to get a very good Cd with relatively square fronts... perhaps 'making the front as smooth as possible' is not always the best strategy
Yes. The new version Civic Hybrid (mid-cycle restyle) has the same change. The front corners are sharper and the side is flatter in front of the wheels.

Also note the little spoiler in front of the front and rear wheels. You might try copying that bit as well.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks all for the feedback!

I'm just starting a new tank on the Mazda/Miata. I'm not expecting anything major or even noticable, but I can at least drive knowing that they could be working...

I have a little material left over and will make a simple grill block for the car. There are x2 towing eyes in the front grill of the Mazda (why 2...?) so leaving them uncovered should allow enough air to pass in. I can always 'add holes' so to speak later if needed.

Further more, here in the UK we were blessed/cursed with a car called the FIAT Brava/Bravo. I saw one of these beside me at the lights yesterday and noticed some rather tasty looking wind deflectors on the sills. Might see if I can find something in the scrap-yard...

Old 03-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I made a similar air dam using carbon fiber last fall. Made a wire frame from some scrap 9ga wire. It was easily bent to match the shape of the front bumper cover. Covered the wire with polyester cloth and hand sewed it in place. Used heat to make sure it was shrunk tight. Sprayed some 3m super77 glue on the fabric. Layed some heavy carbon fiber cloth on the fabric then painted on epoxy. Once cured I peeled the carbon off the wire fabric frame. Put some photos here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ing-14670.html

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacer51 View Post
I'm not expecting anything major or even noticable, but I can at least drive knowing that they could be working...
Seeing it head-on, and seeing the deflectors are set away from the front spoiler, I'm fearing they may be guiding the air that's flowing towards the sides, directly onto the tyres.

They look a bit like the kind of wind deflectors you see on the front corners of trucks with a cab-over-engine design.

Quote:
I have a little material left over and will make a simple grill block for the car. There are x2 towing eyes in the front grill of the Mazda (why 2...?) so leaving them uncovered should allow enough air to pass in.
How about disguising it as a low mounted licence plate ?
That way you could get rid of the one on the bonnet.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I'm inclined to agree with euromodder about the offset design. It looks cool but may actually add drag. If the leading edge was touching the bodywork then it's more likely to reduce drag.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
couple of thoughts.
The BMW sites (mainly 3 series) have an aftermarket-hamman- foglamp/air slot part. the air slot has a hose that leads to the front brakes. This gives some extra cooling for the brakes. I think I have also seen a part that is mounted exactly where you have your circles.
Think about the law of uninttended consequences. most cars have 2 openings. yours has 1. in other words, the mfg has already decided to 'block' the top. meaning that the bottom opening is more crucial to the car than a car with 2.
maybe you warp your rotors six months down the road.
maybe you need to install a higher capacity electric fan to force the air that is blocked
or a larger radiator, or a different themostate.

just my thoughts

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd
90 day: 25.09 mpg (US)

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
I think airflow generally goes out through the wheel, so a complete air dam would reduce brake cooling (by reducing pressure under the car), but a flare pushing air out around a tire shouldn't make much difference.

I first noticed this on one of my cars when I was cleaning the wheels and found grasshopper splats on the inside of the wheel.

Depends a lot on how you're using the brakes, too. If you're hypermiling, you're probably not braking much. On the track, with repeated max-effort braking, opposite situation.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bookworm

Sylvio 2 - '04 Audi allroad quattro Biturbo 6-spd

Atlas - '04 Audi allroad 2.7T 6MT
And also, those hooks are tie-down hooks for transport on the ship from Japan. They're not supposed to be used for towing, and can be removed without ill effect. (Unless you're racing in a stock class that prohibits you from removing extraneous stuff like that.)

Reply  Post New Thread