Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Deedee - '09 Smart ForTwo Pure 999cc
90 day: 47.39 mpg (US)
E85 engine light cleared at the pumps. No lapointe? if that is an engine reference I know in 30 years of autojeering not since EFI or cross point have I heard a foul word taking garbage seriously I ran it without the filter... I could put window screen in man. Run it 200,000 miles the roads are all paved here OK. So you can put your K&N filters in you all have. I might put my generic on in for extra protection. I forgot to mention I don't gamble really until I don't have the problem or I run out of butts.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Are you high?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
mcrews (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
suspect: lapointe? seriously?
I think LaPointe knew his stuff. He rigorously refined and tested mods using a SG going out 100 miles and back the same way on a highway to try to factor out wind direction and driver input. If you could combine what he knew about increasing engine efficiency with the aero and other mods this forum focuses on...you might have something.

I think Obama and LaPointe were/are going the same direction...reducing the demand for fuel. Seems you either reduce the demand for oil by increasing efficiencies and finding other sources...or you just tear the country and the planet up looking for the last of the oil and gas so dufuses can drive big pickups around....and the big boys can make big profits.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

LaPointe was an old dude in Minnesota who was way ahead of his time and the oil hungary war machine...he suffered for it...but got good mpg.

I wouldn't run without a filter of some kind...you can find a generic cone type filter for $25-30 at most parts stores.

I'd stay with what you have...you have no engine light on and are seeing good mpg....engine runs good with no power decrease?

Try to post a diagram of the AFM in your car? You don't say what year it is. My Focus has a venturi right at the front of the AFM...right before the MAF sensor wires....venturis speed up the air flow.

If your AFM has no venturi...it's possible that the plate is speeding the flow?

Shows a pic of your AFM?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-KIA...0d0cba&vxp=mtr

Looks like it has a venturi....tapers down inside?

Main thing is: if it works to increase mpg...it works. As to why.......

You should try to ignore the edjucated idjuts on here...I generally do.... They know just enough to put things down...but not enough to put some effort where their mouth is and TEST STUFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerModder View Post
E85 engine light cleared at the pumps. No lapointe? if that is an engine reference I know in 30 years of autojeering not since EFI or cross point have I heard a foul word taking garbage seriously I ran it without the filter... I could put window screen in man. Run it 200,000 miles the roads are all paved here OK. So you can put your K&N filters in you all have. I might put my generic on in for extra protection. I forgot to mention I don't gamble really until I don't have the problem or I run out of butts.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Last edited by suspectnumber961; 09-05-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #25 (permalink)

Found on another forum posted in 2010....

"I dont know about the the wind shield.
I know that a couple of years ago, a number of folks ( myself included) experamented with just restricting the air intake. Most every car got better MPG, around 20% average. I assume that we all had some decrease in performance, but know one ever noticed or mentioned that. I did it on my sons towncar blocking about 75% we only ran it that way for a weak but one guy kept his like that for a year or more. The blocking was done away from the MAF"

more from same poster...

I just test things.
Like I said i did it on myu sons car (without him knowing) I like testing things on my family because they wont change there driving habits i think i get a more accurate and unbiased results.

My son did not want it on his car.I also believe in better ways to get gains.

I just used duct tape to block the ducting about 8" after the air mass sensor. I left about a 1.75" x 1.75 opening for that 5 liter engine.

Last edited by suspectnumber961; 09-09-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Old 09-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
You're kind of like EM's own National Enquirer.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
im a mechanic and logic would tell me that restricting air flow to the maf would be on the same page as driving with a retstricted air filter. which may eventually cause a fault code for lean or rich. to cause those codes you need fuel trims to be way out of the norm (normal being + or - 10%) if the computer is seeing +25 fuel trim its reading lean and will dump all kinds of fuel (increase injector pulse width) to compensate. Basically pissing in the wind. ive seen so many vehicles come in with cone style aftermarket filters on with p0171/p0174 codes. that computer and maf are tuned to the factory intake parts. one change in air flow in the induction system and that will throw the maf off. this doesnt apply to every car because they are all tuned differently.

now with my 93 civic lx there is such an aftermarket popularity that i could take my computer to a guy who does chipping and mapping and tell him to drop my afr down to 18:1 in my cruise rpm on the highway at whatever map reading i want. and just adjust my timing so its safe with the same program. Not only that but do it for a relatively low cost. with newer vehicles its going to be different/more expensive
Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It seems as though this guy thinks that if a mod does not result in loud noises/flames coming out from under the hood, it is doing no harm.

I guess this philosophy works sort of if you drive 1 tire in the grave 300 dollar beaters. Nothing wrong with that as I have owned a few myself.

[rimshot]Then i got a real job.[/rimshot]

I am still having some trouble understanding exactly what it is that he is doing by restricting the MAF. I could see how this added throttle means that for a given amount of power, you have to open the real throttle a little further and that this changes the ECM's take on what's going on. Whether or not this helps or hurts anything, I haven't a clue.

As for running with no air filter, well that is a colossally stupid thing to do. I don't care how clean the roads are, sooner or later your engine is gonna get a bad case of indigestion.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
this pudding head is WRONG too two to

restricting air flow with dirty air filter can never change air fuel ratio and can never set a lean trim DTC
it is not even theoretically possible , you will know this when you understand what a
Mass Air Flow Sensor does

i assume you all know that the MAF sensor measures total air (mass) flow
entering the combustion chambers
that is all it does
that is all it can do
it can not do anything besides this
IF you restrict air flow to the MAF sensor , the MAF sensor will correctly report the amount of air that it measures
which just happens to be the same amount of air that the engine receives and then the ECM provides the correct amount of fuel to keep the air fuel ratio at stoich
14.64 parts air to 1 part fuel by mass

restricting air to the MAF does not change this fact
the AFR ratio will not change , at all -

assuming
the
( hypothetical / alleged )
restriction does not divert air away from or toward the MAF sensor -
and / or
does not induce turbulence in the column / cylinder of air flowing to the MAF sensor
restricting air flow has ZERO effect on mixture
therefore ZERO effect on Fuel economy

... see earlier post for explanation of possible side effects if
(hypothetically)
air is directed away from the MAF sensor by the restriction or if turbulence induced by the restriction interferes with consistent flow to the MAF sensor ....

by restricting air in
you will have reduced max available power output
nothing more
nothing less
stop this nonsense

it is obvious that the OP and some others can not comprehend this
so,
i recommend to all of those individuals ....

quit while you are behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
Found on another forum posted in 2010....

"I dont know about the the wind shield.
I know that a couple of years ago, a number of folks ( myself included) experamented with just restricting the air intake. Most every car got better MPG, around 20% average. I assume that we all had some decrease in performance, but know one ever noticed or mentioned that. I did it on my sons towncar blocking about 75% we only ran it that way for a weak but one guy kept his like that for a year or more. The blocking was done away from the MAF"

Last edited by mwebb; 09-08-2012 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: unicorn unicorn unicorn ...
The Following User Says Thank You to mwebb For This Useful Post:
mcrews (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #30 (permalink)

A pic of the OP's mod....

Pic of what I believe a Spectra5 AFM looks like....

Shows that the blocking is directly in front of the AFM air flow sensor. Does not seem to be any venturi (undersized cross-section)with this AFM.

Reply  Post New Thread