Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
FE = 170 cid slant-6 with 3-speed manual and 2.73:1 axle ratio in an A-body Plythmouth Valiant or Dodge Dart, no A/C and no P/S.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
I like to buy new rather than used, as I don't like buying someone else's problems.
As it is, it can be bad enough when buying new

It's sad to see folks joining car forums because the car they just bought, starts acting up shortly after the purchase. More than a few of them sell on their cars due to the problems.

It won't happen to Hägar though.
He's going to the scrapper when I'm done with him

Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
But more or less since the advent of hybrids, fuel economy has become a "feature". With few exceptions, if you want the best MPG in a lineup these days, you have to pay extra for it.
My dad says that something similar happened to pickup trucks. Used to be that they were purely a utility vehicle, and as such, didn't cost a whole lot, compared to a car. Then, people started discovering how "cool" it was to drive a pickup truck because they looked rugged, or something. New pickup truck prices rose as a result, and now you can see top-end luxury pickup trucks. I've got two words for that: In-Sane.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
I've never bought a new car and even if i had all the money in the world i don't think i ever will, mainly becasue of the reasons outlined in the first post.

Most new models these days are only slight upgrades from the previous (different bumpers or wheels or different colour dash lights as someone said) so i dont see a point in spending up to nearly twice as much for the same thing.

The second reason for me to buy an old car is that most of the features of new cars i either dont need/wouldnt use and the ones i actually do need/would use can be retrofitted to an older car quite easily, ie. If a new car comes out with fancy new revised suspension for better handling and comfort id much rather get an old car and put aftermarket suspension in to suit my needs/driving style, will most likely handle better than the new car and will still be cheaper after adding in the price of the new suspension.

The final reason i wouldnt buy a new car is they look terrible IMO, go back to the 90s with cars like RX7's, Supra's, Honda NSX, EG civic, Miata/MX5, dodge viper... all look much better IMO than the current equivalents, and due to a lack of silly amounts of computers and airbags and emissions equipment they are much lighter, and more "fun" to drive

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326
The Following User Says Thank You to bobo333 For This Useful Post:
thomason2wheels (08-15-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
So, therefore, the manufacturers' entire market is to people who aren't buying based on economy. So why design for economy if that's not what your customers are looking for?
One more thought on that sentiment: things are changing (fortunately).

Market forces (rising fuel prices) and regulation (CAFE, in the U.S.) are bringing more and more efficient cars to market. For proof, look at the revival of the subcompact segment in the U.S. - 5 years ago there was precious little to choose from. Lots now! There are even 4 or 5 choices in the "mini" sub-subcompact segment! (Spark, Smart, Fiat, Mini, iQ, etc.)

Whenever fuel prices spike, surveys show that "regular" consumers in the new vehicle market make MPG a priority, and the manufacturers are responding. Of course, normal consumers almost always immediately slip back to buying pickups and crossover/SUV's when fuel prices fall again, but that's another topic.

The upside for those of us who have decided to only ever fish in pre-owned waters is more and more efficient choices are coming down the pipe.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I totally respect the view of buying used, but there are ways around brand new. Show cars, that have been tested but owned, or year old models. I waited for the 2013s on the road, and with Ford family discount, called A plan, saved over 1000, which WOULD be 2200 if I went with auto, but only 1000 with a standard, but also I saved 1250 for going 2012. They wanted them off the lot. So 5 miles on her, a little patience, and I saved 1250.

I doubt anyone here wants a 600hp Corvette, but no previous owner, sitting on a lot one year drops the price 30%+, one previous owner one year old around 50%.

depending on the car, time of the year, and location, changes the price. More people buy Subarus in December here than Front Rears lol.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
wrx4me...

no worries - '91 Subaru legacy L
90 day: 31.45 mpg (US)

weevee - '08 suzuki vstrom dl650
90 day: 61.22 mpg (US)

wrx - '09 Subaru wrx sedan
90 day: 29.8 mpg (US)

Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine - '09 kawasaki ninja 250 se

Connie - '09 kawasaki concours
financing chgs the equation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed5 View Post
That's a good analysis. I also believe that manufacturers always have to deal with the competition from the used car market when making small cars in general. Imagine a young buyer who can afford either a low-option Chevy Spark or a 2-3 year old nicely loaded 4-cyl Chevy Malibu. The Malibu is safer, more comfortable, more convenient, better looking (alloy wheels, spoiler, etc. compared to the base Spark's plastic wheel covers), and still gets very good gas mileage. It's hard to see the argument for the Spark in that case. The only things in the Spark's favor are extreme fuel economy, more warranty, and new car smell.
With carmakers giving 0 % financing and banks loaning money at a much higher rate, the better buy might be the new car....just sayin'
Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
I still wouldn't take the loan... even at 0%, the bank still has a choke collar around your neck and can yank it any time they please... especially if you step out of line even one little bit... Nooo thank you!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
wrx4me...

someone with a heavier foot than mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
I've never bought a new car and even if i had all the money in the world i don't think i ever will, mainly becasue of the reasons outlined in the first post.

Most new models these days are only slight upgrades from the previous (different bumpers or wheels or different colour dash lights as someone said) so i dont see a point in spending up to nearly twice as much for the same thing.

The second reason for me to buy an old car is that most of the features of new cars i either dont need/wouldnt use and the ones i actually do need/would use can be retrofitted to an older car quite easily, ie. If a new car comes out with fancy new revised suspension for better handling and comfort id much rather get an old car and put aftermarket suspension in to suit my needs/driving style, will most likely handle better than the new car and will still be cheaper after adding in the price of the new suspension.

The final reason i wouldnt buy a new car is they look terrible IMO, go back to the 90s with cars like RX7's, Supra's, Honda NSX, EG civic, Miata/MX5, dodge viper... all look much better IMO than the current equivalents, and due to a lack of silly amounts of comput

Nice to see someone else with a leadfoot....i used to be when i had money, now it is an unaffordable luxury. Cheers
!!!
ers and airbags and emissions equipment they are much lighter, and more "fun" to drive
:-):-):-)
Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
wrx4me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtRitter View Post
I still wouldn't take the loan... even at 0%, the bank still has a choke collar around your neck and can yank it any time they please... especially if you step out of line even one little bit... Nooo thank you!
Yeah, this true...been there done that...never (i hope) will i finance anything else ever again.

Reply  Post New Thread