Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2022, 03:05 AM   #51 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i like the idea of transplanting something like that - I'm just not sure about the feasibility because of weight disparity.
With so many modern vans featuring FWD, even though some only feature it outside the United States and Canada, weight disparity doesn't sound much like a matter of concern to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
seuadr (10-10-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2022, 10:41 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
This will do 15 mpg at 70 mph on flat ground stock. I averaged 17.7 mpg on my 45 mile round trip commute last week.

2011 Chevy Express 4500. 6.6L Duramas paired to a 6 speed auto. 23 feet long and built of welded aluminum to meet federal side impact and rollover standards.

actually not too far from what i ended up with:

(not mine, but same year/model)

got a 2004 Aerotech 22 foot with a 6.0 PSD.

still working through the mechanicals, while it was fleet maintained, it also sat for quite some time - but i expect that i should be able to eek out 15+ with it without any modifications. I plan on doing a boat tail with storage in it similar to Orbywan as well as wheel well covers, mirror delete, etc.

can't be worse than the 10 mpg i get now pulling my 19' with my durango.
The Following User Says Thank You to seuadr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Congrats. Have fun with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
seuadr (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 12:41 PM   #54 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post

got a 2004 Aerotech 22 foot with a 6.0 PSD.

still working through the mechanicals, while it was fleet maintained, it also sat for quite some time - but i expect that i should be able to eek out 15+ with it without any modifications. I plan on doing a boat tail with storage in it similar to Orbywan as well as wheel well covers, mirror delete, etc.

can't be worse than the 10 mpg i get now pulling my 19' with my durango.
Depending on the final drive ratio I would expect you could hit 15 mpg without issue.

Are you planning to change the entry door at all? I looked at busses but one of the reasons I ruled them out was they have the entry steps where a front passenger seat would be.

Have you worked out insurance yet? I have my ambulance insured with Progressive. They won't write a RV policy on a vehicle that used to be a bus.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
seuadr (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 12:57 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Depending on the final drive ratio I would expect you could hit 15 mpg without issue.
looks like it is probably a 4.10 i have not verified the tag, though - that is what the VIN lookup indicated.

i'm thinking 3.83 will help a bit, and it looks like that was an option for the 1 ton axle.

Quote:
Are you planning to change the entry door at all? I looked at busses but one of the reasons I ruled them out was they have the entry steps where a front passenger seat would be.
yeah i'm just not sure exactly how yet. the bottom of the door is rusty and so needs something done anyhow - but i'm not convinced that having a rear entry or converting the rear side door will make sense for clearing in a parking space, and, i don't want everyone to have to climb through the drivers door.

tentative idea is to remove the extra height added by the top step/platform and either repair the existing door, or replacing it, unless once i take a more critical look at the back some kind of extending stairs seems to make more sense (that would be my preference, just not sure that the clearance is there)

Quote:
Have you worked out insurance yet? I have my ambulance insured with Progressive. They won't write a RV policy on a vehicle that used to be a bus.
i actually got lucky there, as because it isn't a school bus, it was titled as a van/cutaway which as far as the insurance company is concerned is NOT a bus, so it was not complicated.

i was prepared to have to fight to get it titled differently if they were going to consider it a commercial vehicle but it worked out well.

they want to re-inspect it if i decide to re-title it to an RV, but the underwriters said that was essentially to make sure that we didn't do anything to compromise the frame or install questionable stuff like a wood burner in it (which is fair) Apparently, that is a really popular "van life" mod and a bit time no-no for them.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
tentative idea is to remove the extra height added by the top step/platform and either repair the existing door, or replacing it...
One might chop the bottom of the door off at the level of the rub strip, and then fabricate a fold-out step something like a business jet, linked to the door's opener.

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos...iMk2bGyfhPUh0=

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
seuadr (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 02:37 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hey now that is an idea...
The Following User Says Thank You to seuadr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

https://external-content.duckduckgo....9a3&ipo=images

Old 10-11-2022, 01:57 AM   #59 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
I looked at busses but one of the reasons I ruled them out was they have the entry steps where a front passenger seat would be.
Some intercity/interstate buses in my country have a jump-seat at that spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
seuadr (11-28-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 01:37 AM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Easiest way I can think of:
You get E-bikes with torque sensors,
ie: They sense how much torque you are putting in and then assist an adjustable amount, from say 10% to 90%.|

They also do regen:
Regen increases with applied brake pressure and the normal brakes kick in after max regen is happening.

Motors pushing 15KW and 180nm of torque are available for around 80 km/h.
See Endless Sphere forum.
Very knowledgeable folks over there that will assist with pleasure.

So a belt or chain around both inner CV joints, to 2 hub motors, geared to suite your road speeds will give 30 KW. (torque reduced due to gearing)

With the torque sensing; you don't need to integrate the system into your your accelerator.
Obviously said system can't provide 90% assist to a much heavier car, but the sensor system should be easy to mod with a resistor or such, or a simple controller software mod.

The brake lever sensor doodat should be simple to integrate into the brake pedal.

The battery packs and controller/s are all available 'off the shelf', if expensive.

Last edited by Logic; 11-25-2022 at 01:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Logic For This Useful Post:
seuadr (11-28-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread