Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 02:41 AM   #31 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Frank Lee -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
You may find that a duct in that region brings exhaust gasses into the passenger compartment.
Darnit, I just can't win! At first I thought you meant from other cars. It could be the front passenger window instead. I am already opening the window for "fresh" (freeway pollution) air anyway.

It's easy to try. Ha ha, I just realized I can use the CO alarm for my gas furnace to test for carbon monoxide (there's a sad commentary there somewhere).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
NO! I'm sorry, I meant to respond to this:

1) If I drive with my rear seat folded flat and open up some sort of duct to the outside through my trunk, this could help alleviate the reduced drag from the open windows as well as improve the wake...right?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #33 (permalink)
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Unless the air intake is back near the rear end, near the exhaust pipe,
it's normally not a problem for most cars.

There are millions of people who rode around in the station wagons with the
rear window open, who lived to tell the tale..

I used to have a plain old smoke detector in my garage, but it went off
almost every time I started up an ICE..

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
The airflow in the civic is ok most of the time with the fan off but if its wet out, the car steams up. So i glued a small plastic scoop over the intake for the ventilation and it helped a lot. The airflow was like the fan was on the one or two setting. The scoop was only above the edge of the hood by half an inch and was only about 5 or 6 inches wide. It worked well, until i turned on the wipers! I had misjudged how far the wiper arm moves and it promptly removed my air scoop! But until then, it certainly worked well. I might re-install another one now that winter is approaching and steamy windows beckon.

ollie
Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
here is what i do as far as airflow

i'll start with a pic to reference off of

i also have a sunroof (the kind that retracts INTO the body)

if its really bright outside, i leave the sunroof closed (it has a solid sliding cover on the inside), and open the side windows and the "wing" windows that are right behind the door windows.

yeah, the wings probably aren't to good for aero, but i don't go over 50-55 very much (if i do i close them).

if its dark/cloudy, i open just the sunroof and wings (leave door windows up). i've found that if i leave the wings closed with windows down, stuff in the back (my back seats are folded down 95% of the time) blows all over the place. if i open the wings, i can have loose paper back there, and it hardly moves.

my favorite setup is door windows closed, sunroof and wings open. there is very little wind noise, and temps stay pretty comfortable (even with leather seats).

on the highway, just sunroof open is very comfortable. not a lot of air blows in (i have to stick my hand out of the rig to feel a breeze), but its enough unless its over 90 degrees.

of course, i have no real way to to judge mpg gains/losses yet

heres a thought. ever seen those ducts on the rear quarter windows on nascar? nothing sticks out, its basically a window with a hole in it. duct that to a convenient area.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Project: Accord - '97 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 40.1 mpg (US)
Thats not a bad idea, I hate the foggy windows...steamy windows are much better...anyhow...I'm thinking a thin attachment for a vacuum cleaner the long skinny one, might be sufficient to allow enough air in, a small enough crack in the window, and still remain fairly aerodynamic if put lengthwise on the A-Pillar...hmm...

So exhaust fumes aside...do we think this would help the wake?
1) If I drive with my rear seat folded flat and open up some sort of duct to the outside through my trunk, this could help alleviate the reduced drag from the open windows as well as improve the wake...right?

On a side note I have about 375 miles on this tank and I'm not even at 3/4 mark yet! No scangauge though so it'll have to wait until fill-up to check MPG...
Old 08-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Raine View Post
here is what i do as far as airflow

i'll start with a pic to reference off of

i also have a sunroof (the kind that retracts INTO the body)

if its really bright outside, i leave the sunroof closed (it has a solid sliding cover on the inside), and open the side windows and the "wing" windows that are right behind the door windows.

yeah, the wings probably aren't to good for aero, but i don't go over 50-55 very much (if i do i close them).

if its dark/cloudy, i open just the sunroof and wings (leave door windows up). i've found that if i leave the wings closed with windows down, stuff in the back (my back seats are folded down 95% of the time) blows all over the place. if i open the wings, i can have loose paper back there, and it hardly moves.

my favorite setup is door windows closed, sunroof and wings open. there is very little wind noise, and temps stay pretty comfortable (even with leather seats).

on the highway, just sunroof open is very comfortable. not a lot of air blows in (i have to stick my hand out of the rig to feel a breeze), but its enough unless its over 90 degrees.

of course, i have no real way to to judge mpg gains/losses yet

heres a thought. ever seen those ducts on the rear quarter windows on nascar? nothing sticks out, its basically a window with a hole in it. duct that to a convenient area.
Tony, have you thought about lowering your Sport? It is cheap and super easy for your generation Exploder:

http://stlouismtb.tripod.com/loweringwriteup.html

Lowering seems to produce good returns for fuel economy gains. I'm trying to talk my wife into lowering hers, the "Green Monster".
Old 08-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
Tony, have you thought about lowering your Sport? It is cheap and super easy for your generation Exploder:

http://stlouismtb.tripod.com/loweringwriteup.html

Lowering seems to produce good returns for fuel economy gains. I'm trying to talk my wife into lowering hers, the "Green Monster".
yup, thats the next step (after removing the lift). gonna drop the front as much as i can without slapping the bumpstops all the time, and then block the rear down a little for a slight rake so i don't nose-up when towing. then switch to 28" tall street tires.

but first i gotta sell my other 2 sets of mud tires (the ones for my bronco). then this set you see here (which is almost new) will go on the bronco. that money will help offset the costs of the tires, lowering blocks, and alignment.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master of 140 hamsters

Hamster - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 29.41 mpg (US)

Whooshy Wagon - '04 Volvo V40
90 day: 23.33 mpg (US)

Minotaur - '09 Ford Taurus X SEL
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Baron Reinhard von Fachsenfeld's "Aerodynamiks des Kraftfahrtzeugs" ( sp? )
Aerodynamik des Kraftfahrzeugs - very close! (I'm German, if anyone wishes to inquire as to my qualifications on the German spelling issue. )

On the airflow issue - I enjoy tilting the sunroof and cracking either the rear passenger or rear driver side windows. The air flowing over the car sucks the air out the sunroof which in turn is supplied by the rear cracked windows. Another plus is that if my wife isn't hot at all, she won't even feel the breeze when I open the passenger side window. Conversely, the opposite is true for the driver side rear window. Very low noise and highly effective.

The effect is reduced when opening both rear windows. Must have to do with turbulence...

Last edited by superchow; 08-29-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Here's my idea. Crack the rear passenger window down maybe 2 inches.
Duh, what's a rear passenger window? (Says driver of Honda Insight, the latest in a series of two-seaters going back to an Austin-Healey Sprite.)

But yes, something like the "cool Scoop" I used on the Cherokee (airplane windows don't roll down, and there's just a small flap about the size of my hand that opens) would work. I was hoping for something more aerodynamic, as in if you can take some high-pressure air from the front, run it through the car for cooling, then exhaust it into a low-pressure area at the rear, you've reduced drag in addition to getting a nice cool breeze.

Reply  Post New Thread