Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey JellyBeanDriver, I'd like to order an MPGuino from your DSchmidt Technologies site in the near future (before the end of September is a reasonable goal, is it not?), instead of from Central or Eastern Europe, like the other two sellers are doing. If you're still in business at that time, I'll place my order when finances allow. Just one thing, though, who would have the Pulses Per Minute data for the VSS off of a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0L AW4 Automatic Transmission's Hall Effect or equivalent Electronic Speed Sensor? If you, or any other Ecomodders could find out for me, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.../8/

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinator61 View Post
Hey JellyBeanDriver, I'd like to order an MPGuino from your DSchmidt Technologies site in the near future (
No worries. I'll be here.

As far as using a hall effect signal, that will be fine. If it's only a raw AC waveform, that could be problematic.

In regards to pulse/min for speed, you can use the default settings (my Geo Metro's setting) and drive a known distance, figure out the difference and adjust the counts accordingly. Even if you start with the 'correct' values, one should always perform a distance and MPG calibration as even the same make and model can can be different with different fuel blends and different gearing/tires.
- averaging 51.7 MPG, 56.9MPG best tank.
- self built MPGuino
- http://www.dschmidt.com/MPGuinoJBD.html
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
JellyBeanDriver's MPGuino has worked flawlessly for me. Shipping couldn't have been quicker if I drove to Cali myself! If he/she isn't in business in September I would suspect foul play.

Here is the wiki on calibrating the MPGuino. It's pretty straight forward.
Mpguino calibration - EcoModder

IIRC the VSS for a Jeep is 8000PPM... but calibrating your MPGuino using the wiki is best.

Project Avalon: E bike build
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My understanding is that the Pulses Per Driveshaft Revolution (8 PPDR, in the case of MOST Jeep Products from 1991 thru 2001 or so) is a more accurate determining factor in MPGuino calibration than just Pulses Per Mile or Pulses Per Minute, especially since Jeeps have their differential(s) AFTER the VSS on the transmission/transfer case output shaft.

If I'm correct about this, then I'd have to factor in Differential Pinion-to-Ring Rotational Ratios as part of the equation, or between 3.55 & 4.10 to 1, in the case of my 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I-6 with the AW4 4-speed transmission, NP242 transfer case, Dana35 rear axle, and High-Cut-Pinion Dana30 front axle.

All calibration attempts I make will need to be confirmed with my TomTomOne GPS at 60 MPH on the local Freeway System, that is Interstate 5 and/or WA State Highway 167, both within a SHORT driving distance from where I live. I'll post my results once I've logged AND confirmed them...(8D.

Last edited by Davinator61; 02-11-2013 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Added more info
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gm diesels have an electronic pump mounted driver (PMD), it uses a resistor to calibrate the PMD to the ip pump #1-#9. Has anyone tried to see if there is fuel pump duration output that would work on the MPGunio? I want to purchase a MPGunio for my 1994 gm diesel truck.

Last edited by 94-turbo; 04-14-2013 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: Oops, missing info
Reply  Post New Thread