Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Honda Ek9 - '96 Honda Civic DX/HX
90 day: 34.17 mpg (US)
Might not get around to all that after all. Heater went out, and the knock sensor came in. Spent all my time fixing the AC, heating and the knock sensor(wish I had it during the rebuild,would have took an hour less time). Good news is that everything is now fixed. Going to have the tires air up and test the MMO Only this week.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

updates... with the tires air to 40 psi(max), I am now getting 36mpg. (tires were aired from 28-40 at half tank). I also added MMO in with my fuel but i dont think is doing much since my engine is completely rebuilt and I have cleaned out everything inside and out!!! once I get another few tanks in, I will skip a tank and see what it does.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
do you feel the car going into lean burn?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It's hard to say??? What does it feel like? I am getting 36+ which is good consider the morning Seattle traffic and the evening Everett madness i have to drive through. A total of 25 miles daily 4 days a week...

If anyone could discribe how it feels maybe I can tell you if I am getting lean burn. Don't really want to spend $160 for a scangauge just yet... Thinking about getting a wideband but am currently undicided.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaws69 View Post
It's hard to say??? What does it feel like? I am getting 36+ which is good consider the morning Seattle traffic and the evening Everett madness i have to drive through. A total of 25 miles daily 4 days a week...

If anyone could discribe how it feels maybe I can tell you if I am getting lean burn. Don't really want to spend $160 for a scangauge just yet... Thinking about getting a wideband but am currently undicided.
I guess if you are stuck in traffic, you really wont see much benifit to the lean burn engine. As for how it feels, most people feel a slight miss when the car enters and exits lean burn. Also, while in lean burn your power is GREATLY reduced.

Do you have a smart phone? 1carnut is using a bluetooth conector he picked up for $20 to give all the same stats you wuld normally see on a scan gauge. Another option is the $60 ultragauge
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm fortunate that I can delay my commute and avoid some of the worst of it. And the south end is a bit lighter than the mess between Everett and Seattle. 36 isn't too bad, considering. Pulse and coast (I generally don't "glide" with the engine off) works pretty well when I do get stuck in nasty traffic.

I feel a slight stumble as it enters lean burn and a slight surge when it leaves. It's hard to notice unless I'm holding very steady on the throttle. An ultragauge is probably cheaper than a wideband O2 senser...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
Outlaws69 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ultra gauge, and wifi for $20!!! Where can I find more information about these products?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Remember that neither the ScanGauge nor the UltraGauge will be accurate with a lean-burn engine. They monitor air consumption and calculate fuel use based on an assumed stoichiometric A/F ratio. They don't detect or know about lean burn in performing those calcs.

MPGuino is the way to go.

darcane's description is what I would have said. Very slight stumble, throttle response "deadens" while in lean burn (not nearly as responsive). In the Insight it's obvious when you enter lean burn because the instant MPG display jumps up by ~25 MPG.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Outlaws69 (10-30-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Ultra gauge, and wifi for $20!!! Where can I find more information about these products?
Just google the ultragage EM to find them for $60 or so. I will ask 1carnut about his bluetooth OBD2 connector. It is pretty slick. If I had a smart phone I would get one. Both do similar things like the scangauge and are cheaper alternatives.

I currently use both a scangauge and an MPGuino. Got a scangauge before i knew about the other products, so I just keep using it. Both the Scangauge and MPGuino are great tools. The scan guage is perfect for letting me know when I am lean burn, letting me get unter to proper conditions to enter lean burn, and allowing me to maintain the proper coniditions to stay in lean burn. The MPGuino is a great too to moniter instant MPG, trip mpg, and tank mph. You also can see the MPG instant MPG jump up when you get in lean burn, but I like a watching the 2nd O2 sensor reading more as my eyes are already focused on the other gauges I have displayed on the Scangauge.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok... You all suck!!! I just broke down and bought an ultragauge. Will update later, perhaps write a new post on that specifically for the HX!!

Reply  Post New Thread