Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #321 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Ta-da! Looking sweeeeet

The Following User Says Thank You to vrmouseyd15b For This Useful Post:
OG VX (04-07-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #322 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dino - '93 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 43.65 mpg (US)

White Shadow - '15 Toyota Prius C Two
90 day: 50.69 mpg (US)
Thumbs up

I'm literally drooling with anticipation for the final product
Old 04-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #323 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Phew, thats a lotta work. Love the decals.
Thanks bro! Got the last decal in yesterday. I'll put them on once the rear-end aero is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyinferno View Post
I'm literally drooling with anticipation for the final product
Thanks man!
----------------------

What do you guys think about adding this door edge guard to all of the trim of the rear-end panels? I see it as having many advantages. But I could also see it collecting water and possibly causing rust issues?!

Here's some pics of the LED lighting to share:

"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 04-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #324 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Wow man! You've been busy. Nice work so far!

As for the door edge guard stuff... isn't your kammback aluminum? If so rust shouldn't be an issue and the door guard would help prevent the edges from scratching your paint.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #325 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel93 View Post
Wow man! You've been busy. Nice work so far!

As for the door edge guard stuff... isn't your kammback aluminum? If so rust shouldn't be an issue and the door guard would help prevent the edges from scratching your paint.
Thank you sir!

Kammback is made of steel. So, the material will rust. However, I see that is the only negative to adding the edging. Pros include:

- Cushion from scratching paint
- Prevents metal rubbing/noises while driving.
- Cleans up the lines/edges that I just can't get 100% straight when fabricating by hand.
- Makes it easier/safer to transport panels by hand (w/o gloves)
- Makes it easy to rest the panels on side of car for roadside changes/work

The list goes on...

Matter of fact, I think I just "typed myself" into getting the trim ha!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (04-07-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #326 (permalink)
phh
EcoModding Lurker

Wifie's car - '89 Eagle Summit DL
I just finished reading this thread in one sitting. Well written and informative. Superb workmanship!

One thing I would have done differently is to use magnets instead of rivets to attach the Kammback. Advantages: it's repositionable (so you can experiment) and nonpermanent (no drilling).

Available at Harbor Freight: Rare Earth Magnets - Rare Earth Magnet Set, 10 Piece
The Following User Says Thank You to phh For This Useful Post:
OG VX (04-08-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #327 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by phh View Post
I just finished reading this thread in one sitting. Well written and informative. Superb workmanship!

One thing I would have done differently is to use magnets instead of rivets to attach the Kammback. Advantages: it's repositionable (so you can experiment) and nonpermanent (no drilling).

Available at Harbor Freight: Rare Earth Magnets - Rare Earth Magnet Set, 10 Piece
Thanks for the compliments and for reading through my friend!

I certainly agree with you on the value of the magnets. Ironically, I stopped to get some at Harbor Freight last week. You can see the dual pack of HD magnets in my "doodads" pick from HF on my last post. I almost picked up the rare-earth magnet set, but didn't know much about them. The hazard warning on the label scared me as well, with the kiddos running around the house/driveway.

Anyway, I will be gluing one magnet on each of the side panels, to hold the rear corner of the Kammback tight against the top side panel, just atop of the plexi tail light covers. The hope is that it just "pops" into place as I close the hatch gate.

The nutserts are the jam though. Easy to install, and they are very strong. Well...atleast, they feel good and strong while the VX is sitting in the driveway. Ha!

Hey, I hit over 70mpg on a trip for the first time last week! 45 mile trip in the late afternoon, 70 degree temps, 80 % highway. Lots of downhill stretches. No crosswinds. 50psi. Ethanol free fuel.

In general, I've been rocking it of late. 55mpg last tank (yet to enter on trip log) and average 60.6 so far halfway through this one. That's with the grille/fog blocks sitting back at the house today. Woohoo!

"Pics or it never happened..."

Old 04-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #328 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
that's what's up! I'm dying to see this thing all painted up...

Thanks,
Victor

Old 04-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #329 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 4/12/15: Rear Bumper Diffuser Completed

Hello all,
I know I posted that the fabrication work was done, but I did forget a couple of items. So, I worked yesterday and this morning to complete the rear bumper diffuser. I’ll post my progress with pics below.

I used a metal vise to make bends on and shape the “winglets” for the diffuser.

The completed winglets were then riveted into place. As you can tell, the outermost winglets are a tad shorter/smaller than those in the middle. I used thicker 1/4” rivets to mount them up.

I then made a couple of cuts here and there, grinded a bit...and here’s the completed diffuser.

I added two nutserts + SS/bolt set- up to each side of the diffuser, for extra strength.

Here’s the underside bolted up. the stock 10mm bumper bolts (2) plus 4 sheet metal screws hold the diffuser up to the bumper. Full access is place for the OEM tow hook/jacking point.

And here’s the finished result. You’ll also see the additional JDM bumper fastener added to the front of the kammback. I do need to add one more rivet nut to the side skirt where the wheel skirt meets it. I hope the lawn edging material can withstand the stress of the rivet nut install. I need something stronger there to grab than a sheet metal screw can do.

Up next, I need to mount up the new wiper diffuser. I’m also going to fab up a couple of 6” metal pieces to host reflective tape and rivet them to the kammback. I plan to finish up today’s work with running the third brake light wiring off of the OEM harness. If time allows, I may go on a maiden voyage, country roads only, to test everything out prior to removing it all for final sanding and paint.

I’ll be back with more progress soon.

Until next time, thank YOU for ecoTuning in!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (04-23-2015), pgfpro (04-12-2015), vrmouseyd15b (04-12-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #330 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

Team Honda
Update 4/13/2015: Maiden Voyage (45 miles) Complete!

Hello all. I wasn't planning to take any long treks with the new aero gear until it was all painted and nice/pretty. However, life took it's course. Long story short: I over-slept this morning and didn't have time to remove the panels and still get to work on time. So, off we went to Charlotte, flashy metal and all!

Car drove GREAT. NO issues with the new aero. Even without insulation/silicone on the back of the panels, there was no squeaking. Things were, actually, earily quite. No visibility issues to speak of. Line of sight was good with the hood diffuser size/angle. Kammback cuts some vision down, yes, but the driveability is still just fine.

Only issue I had was a young lady who was trying to put on some make-up behind me and, when I had to make a harder brake during rush hour traffic, she almost rear-ended me, swerving out of the way last minute. I would have helped her more, I suppose, if I had my LED third brake light installed and functioning. That's my fault, as much as hers, I suppose. Thankfully, we had just a near miss, and we are both OK.

As for as fuel economy, so far, I've made the following (very rough) observations:

- Cadillac smooth/quite air flow at coasting speed (50-65)
- Car maintians speed a good bit easier at coasting. Wind turbulence doesn't appear to be as much of an issue.
- 5th gear is now more useful for accelerating. Before the torque wasn't "enough".
- MPG's on the Guino are reading above 90mpg's much more frequently, where they were previously averaging 65-85 at coasting.
- It takes a bit more effort/gas to get the car to speed then before the mods, it appears. That could be a result of some very strong wind currents this morning.
- No bracing is needed underneath the Kammback. The wing does not bend or flab one bit. Solid as a rock.

That's all I have for now. I'll, likely, take it off tonight. But if I do drive it again like this tomorrow, I'll be sure to have the third brake light wired up.

Pics or it did'nt happen!

Thank YOU for ecoTuning in!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (04-23-2015), elhigh (04-28-2015), MetroMPG (04-13-2015), oldtamiyaphile (04-13-2015), snakester (04-13-2015), spacemanspif (04-13-2015), The donkey CRX (04-13-2015), vrmouseyd15b (04-13-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread