Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Two comments: Sailing through a stop sign at 15-20 MPH may get you a summons someday. You might save 5 cents worth of fuel, but on the day there is a waiting cop who is stealthier than you that you didn't notice, it may not be worth the fine incurred.

No automatic transmission will be damaged by coasting in neutral to a stop or a "near stop". That means you can safely re-engage into drive in first gear, at under 10 MPH. Rev matching at higher speeds may or may not be detrimental. There is usually no way to tell with absolute certainty. You may not realize it until your transmission needs to be rebuilt. The amount of $ you saved on fuel in coasting will seem a pittance compared to the cost of an A/T rebuild.
I rarely coast through stop signs anymore, it's just not worth the risk.

I will try coasting in neutral and report my findings on my next fill up.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

SilverCrown - '01 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Pulse and glide with an A/T basically means getting it up to speed so as to get it into a higher gear, then taking your foot off the gas pedal completely, until you need to accelerate again. It amounts to "coasting" while still in "Drive".
Ah ok! I already do this, so I have been P&Ging all along and never knew it. Awesome!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Coasting in Drive or Neutral... I personally don't see much difference in wear, as long as you don't get much slippage or stress on the clutch packs when getting back in gear... like XYZ says, from a stop, it's probably no big deal.

I drove a new MINI last month... in "Green" mode, it automatically goes into neutral when you let off the gas any time you're above 30 km/h. Kind of thumbs its nose at people who declare you will die a horrible death if you coast in neutral at highway speeds!
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
I drove a new MINI last month... in "Green" mode, it automatically goes into neutral when you let off the gas any time you're above 30 km/h. Kind of thumbs its nose at people who declare you will die a horrible death if you coast in neutral at highway speeds!
Yes, but in most places in the United States, it is illegal if you do this manually. Also, it sounds like engaging DFCO is quite an achievement.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In Sport Mode, it stays in gear. In Normal, it depends... it's less eager to go into neutral... but it seems like it still does.

I also seem to recall manual shifting or small prods of the accelerator or brake make it re-engage the clutch.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Yes, but in most places in the United States, it is illegal if you do this manually.
Who the hell cares. Seriously. Every time I press the clutch for more than a second I must be breaking the law.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (09-09-2014), PaleMelanesian (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
How would they even know anyway? Yeah they wouldn't, no one would. My friends riding with me didn't even know I did it until I told them and they were in the car.
"Why do you keep going 60 to 45 over and over again?!"
"Its called Pulse and glide It saves fuel"
"Isn't it better to just go 50??"
"And have my engine on burning fuel the entire time I'm driving?? Hell NO"

Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I certainly do not encourage anyone to break the law, but this one makes as much sense to me as anything from You Can Get Arrested for That!?.

I was happy to read http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-mn-29077.html, although that law specifies that it is illegal to coast in neutral down a hill.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Pulse and glide with an A/T basically means getting it up to speed so as to get it into a higher gear, then taking your foot off the gas pedal completely, until you need to accelerate again. It amounts to "coasting" while still in "Drive".
In some cases, but not always. For example, Honda automatics will hold it in gear and engine-brake if you leave it in D. That's not coasting. When I drive the Odyssey, I'm constantly shifting D-N-D-N to get any real coasting.

Some vehicles' transmissions are programmed to go into a nearly neutral state automatically, like what you're describing. GM trucks come to mind from my experience.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following User Says Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
user removed (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
In some cases, but not always. For example, Honda automatics will hold it in gear and engine-brake if you leave it in D. That's not coasting. When I drive the Odyssey, I'm constantly shifting D-N-D-N to get any real coasting.

Some vehicles' transmissions are programmed to go into a nearly neutral state automatically, like what you're describing. GM trucks come to mind from my experience.
Absolutely true. It depends on the design of the transmission, how rudimentary or advanced it is, and how the electronic programs (on more recent years) are monitoring and controlling what it does. Unfortunately, there is no practical way to discover all the subtleties of an automatic transmission until after you have purchased a vehicle and experiment with driving it.

I also agree that it is confusing to call coasting while in Drive "coasting" at all. But compared to driving with your foot constantly on the gas pedal, it probably is somewhat more beneficial.

Reply  Post New Thread