Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #5011 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickm View Post
Paul sent me his revised files of the Beta-2, 1000 Amp Controller, Driver, and Power PCBs.

I’ll post the Photoplot and PDF files to the ReVolt wiki once I extract them from the data he sent me.

If someone orders a set of Paul's new Beta-2 PCB’s, please order an extra set for Paul!

-Mark
I just finished adding the new Beta-2 links to the ReVolt wiki. I tried this this morning, but someone hacked the Ecomodder wiki home page. Its back up and working now.

Open ReVolt/PCB Schematics - EcoModder

Contact me if anyone has problems with links or files.

-Mark

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sawickm For This Useful Post:
Bill Tuttle (08-24-2011), electricstorm (08-24-2011), mpgmike (01-20-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #5012 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Mark - There's no firmware file for the 1000A Rev 2A, is that correct? Does it use the same as Rev 1A or has it just not been released yet? I'm not in any rush, just trying to keep up with things as we plan for our conversion. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #5013 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Ya there's no firmware. It will be 99% similar to what's already there though.
Bill Tuttle (08-26-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #5014 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Paul,

How do I contact Sabrina? I need to send her an email regarding a kit purchase. She (or you, can't remember which) had mentioned something about special arrangements for purchasing a kit a while back. Now that I have some funds, I need to place the order.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #5015 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Paul for the info. Really appreciate it a lot!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #5016 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Big 13 pulling garden tractor

Paul and other contributors of the open revolt,

Here is a video of the Cougar running our 1300 pound ultralight modified garden tractor. This is the first real sucssful run after we worked out all of the little bugs. Although we didn't win, we were within a few feet and since they ICE powered tracrtors are tuned to their limits and we are just starting . . . watch out.

We are using all 511 amps available right from the get go. We are looking to get one of the 1000 boards for next year (2000 would be better - hint hint.

So far the controller has been flawless

Thanks to all who contributied
Jim and Darin
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #5017 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirkola View Post
Paul and other contributors of the open revolt,

Here is a video of the Cougar running our 1300 pound ultralight modified garden tractor. This is the first real sucssful run after we worked out all of the little bugs. Although we didn't win, we were within a few feet and since they ICE powered tracrtors are tuned to their limits and we are just starting . . . watch out.

Quote:
We are using all 511 amps available right from the get go. We are looking to get one of the 1000 boards for next year (2000 would be better - hint hint.
How about 2 controllers?

I don't have any idea if it would work, or maybe bad things would happen?

Greg
Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #5018 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

[QUOTE=Greg Fordyce;258036
How about 2 controllers?

I don't have any idea if it would work, or maybe bad things would happen?

Greg[/QUOTE]

Greg,

I don't think two cotrollers is the answer. We are looking at a couple of options.

One will modify the Cougar to 670 amps, the other is a special version of Paul's 1000 amp board.

Both will have to wait a bit, maybe even until next year

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jim
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #5019 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

When you mentioned 2000 amps, it got me thinking how could you approach Zilla performance at Paul's price. Back in the 60's when Detriot built muscle cars, one way they got more fuel through the engine was to add carburetors. Pontiac bolted 2 carbs on their engines and Chrysler had the Tri-power for the Hemi. Since the controller is just a load of mosfets, caps and diodes in parallel, 2 controllers would just be more mosfets, caps and diodes in parallel, but with 2 separate control boards. A bit like having 2 (or 3) carbs on a big V8.

Since you already have a 500 amp controller, you could build a second and test the idea. If it works, then you have 2 working, tested controllers that could be sold when you upgrade to a couple of 1000 amp controllers.

I can't think of a reason why 2 controllers in parallel would be a bad idea, but I don't know if it would work. It would probably need some testing at 12 volts first and see how it goes.

Just a bit of out of box thinking,

Greg
Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #5020 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Fordyce View Post
I can't think of a reason why 2 controllers in parallel would be a bad idea, but I don't know if it would work. It would probably need some testing at 12 volts first and see how it goes.
I can think of a good reason why it won't - that old Sesame Street favourite: B-A-L-A-N-C-E.

You would have to ensure that both controllers output the same voltage/wattage all the time. An easier way would be to take one of the 500A boards, modify it to drive IGBTs (Like JackBauer has done, apparently it's extremely easy to do) instead of the long line of MOSFETS it uses at the moment, and throw in a few high power (800V, 1600A+) IGBTs, tweaking the software and current sensors to work at the power levels you want.

Reply  Post New Thread