Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
I like the ability to charge at any pay parking spot. That way the electricity could be set to run only when the meter has time on it. That would help people from leeching off the system to get free electricity.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Rome seems to be much more forward thinking that most American cities.

Having power available at a parking meter is a great idea. I wish we were doing it here.

I am not a huge fan of hybrids, because they don't get the kind of mileage that they really should be able to. I think they also give some people a "false" sense of eco-friendlyness. By that, I mean that hybrid drivers often just drive about without any special thought to how they do it. A pickup truck driver, who drives less, plans trips, and thinks about things a bit more, may actually use less total fuel than a hybrid driver.

That said, at least hybrids let "regular" folks drive pretty normally and get good fuel economy. That in itself is a good thing.

I do think that hybrids may end up being a fantastic bridge to electric cars and other alternative transportation.

First a person enjoys how a hybrid can be quiet and powerful. Then they like how much fuel a plug-in hybrid can get and how quiet it is. Eventually, they may want a car with only one power system instead of two, and no oil to change.

In the long-run, hybrids may be the best way to get people into electric cars. It takes a while for people to try new things and think about their actions differently.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Who
UnderModded

Pablo - '07 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD
90 day: 23.62 mpg (US)
Universal battery packs could help... but they would true have to be universal and consistent in charge quality, and easily droppable/mountable at service stations.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lurking footless halls

Dark Horse - '16 Ford Mustang GT convertible Premium

Gutless Beauty - '19 Toyota Corolla SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Universal battery packs could help... but they would true have to be universal and consistent in charge quality, and easily droppable/mountable at service stations.
I think this is what this guy is talking about: http://projectbetterplace.com/
Old 01-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by duca View Post
Aren't there in big cities public plugs?
If you know where they are, nobody has parked in front and you don't find some lost-looking autodriver trying to figure out where to insert the coin to get the parking ticket (they look a little like some stylish tiket printer for along-the-road parking), there are a few by now in the bigger cities here where I am. In Rome we have some 30+ plugs spread here and there and it's even for free by now!
Most of the people here don't realize that every other streetlight has an outlet in it. You have to take one of the lower covers off to find it, but it's there. That's why its easy to find them around Christmas. The outlets are unmetered, but if the city Fathers wanted to regulate your charge I am sure they will find a way.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

He he Schultz, I don't think I would go around with a wrench in my car to open up every other city light to plug in my EV.
While we have recharging possibilities here in our city, they are far below the minimum critical mass needed and are almost all concentrated in and around the centre of the city, no publicity was given so only the "EV freaks" among the population know about it. First time I stopped for recharging soon a couple of people stopped by with "AHA!"-faces saying "Ah! That's what these strange things are here for!".
On the other side it's still better than nothing at all. I think that it is up to the local administration, as part of the policy they want to make for reducing emissions, to find a way to improve the plug network dedicated to recharging EV. This is not to say that the plugs must come from the mayor and be free of charge (they are F.O.C. now here in this "pilot period" but will ned a prepaid card in the future). Incentivating stores to put plugs at client's disposal taking charge of the installation costs sure is an option: the consuption for the time the client is in the store is quite laughable at and, if there is a public interest involved in it, you could put a counter before the plug and be allowed to detract the expenses for that plug from your taxes or such.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Some good points are brought up. Obviously, recharging is going to be one of the biggest factors. Battery quality and serviceability will be another. Getting people to change their thinking is yet another hurdle.

How about this one? Deaf people. Hybrids, running under battery power, produce almost no noise. Deaf people have been raising a ruckus about this... saying hybrids are unsafe. Well, unfortunately, at least in my opinion (cold though it may be), the benefit of the planet and the majority of those who inhabit it should be placed before people with a disability. Deaf people just need to take their time crossing the street, and make sure to look both ways.

Just wanted to point out that small obstacle.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nomadic Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
...These are some of the arguments that make looking into hydrogen important.
Using pre-refined hydrogen to feul a vehicle is 4x more inefficent than batteries and electricity. You would be using 20Giga watts of coal and desiel burning electric plants to produce 5Gigawatts of hydrogen fuel.

This is why big oil is actually helping the push toward hydrogen powered vehicles.

Charging stations would not be efficient. but this would be:
(warning, boring video, but still educational)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/v/M0SB5psrVCM&rel=1[/YOUTUBE]

You would still have to get cars light enough and batteries powerful enough to make this system work.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The point about the noise brought up by Erdrick: I second his thougts and would add that the problem of noise is relative. Now the petrol engines are overhelming the noise produced by an EV. In a future where EV will be the normality the "average noise" on the street will be much lower so you will notice when an EV is approaching also from the little (compared to today's standard) noise it will produce.
And after all... what they put in a horn for? (Yes, I'm Italian! ) )
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
How about this one? Deaf people. Hybrids, running under battery power, produce almost no noise.
Bicycles also produce almost no noise. How do deaf people avoid being run down by them?

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread