Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #31 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
In my experience, battery recycling is very hit or miss.

I have found that most places will sell cores for less than the recycler pays for them, so it's always a win-win situation.

The hardest part of battery recycling for me was finding places willing to sell or exchange cores.
I agree with the 1st statement and the last one but the middle one is not true in my experience.

The places around here willing to sell used batteries or exchange do so at a great profit rate (for them)

I wish I could find one that would sell the cores at the actual rate per pound instead of for profit above and beyond.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I agree with the 1st statement and the last one but the middle one is not true in my experience.

The places around here willing to sell used batteries or exchange do so at a great profit rate (for them)

I wish I could find one that would sell the cores at the actual rate per pound instead of for profit above and beyond.
I think I was very fortunate. The majority of my batteries I get from a boat place. He is perfectly happy to sell me his cores for the same price that the battery company gives him, which is $7. But I think I called and went to talk to about 20 places before I found him. In general, the cores he has are the larger group 27,29, and 31 and a few are group 24's. The recycler pays $7 for car starting batteries and group 24's, and $10 for the larger batteries such as the ones the boat place sells me. The local Napa Auto and farm supply store will let me exchange cores. I take the smaller group 24 batteries from the boat place and exchange it for larger batteries at Napa and the farm store. Granted, it's not much-but I'm only in it for useable batteries for my EV. One avenue I haven't tried is RV places. I bet they would be a good source.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
I think I was very fortunate. The majority of my batteries I get from a boat place.

exchange it for larger batteries at Napa and the farm store.

One avenue I haven't tried is RV places. I bet they would be a good source.
Actually I have forgotten about about farm stores, walmarts unlabled 6v and 8v farm batteries (they used to sell before they became a complete dollar store) were actually much better than their deepcycle and they were only $25-$40 each. Many "farm" batteries in the 6v and 8v designations seem to last longer and be of better construction than the marine deepcycle type. They normally don't state anything on the lable about CCA though and usually don't even have a ahr rating either, just plain black with the size and application. Sadly they are almost always really strange dimensions, some weren't, most were really long and tall.

We have an old 6v wallland one still functioning (10yrs later)

If I go out to fleet farm maybe I could convince them to keep an eye out for some 6v farm bats.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have some military surplus 24 V desulphaters in these weird cases, I took one out of its case and hooked it up to my 24V starter batts on my bus, it has an led which flashes every few seconds. Just hooked it up two days ago, one of my two 12V batts is not holding a charge, (drops to 10.5V within an hour of coming off charge).
Any bets as to the desulphater bringing back the batt. I need to start the bus in another 3 weeks +/-.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibs View Post
I have some military surplus 24 V desulphaters in these weird cases, I took one out of its case and hooked it up to my 24V starter batts on my bus, it has an led which flashes every few seconds. Just hooked it up two days ago, one of my two 12V batts is not holding a charge, (drops to 10.5V within an hour of coming off charge).
Any bets as to the desulphater bringing back the batt. I need to start the bus in another 3 weeks +/-.
It sounds like you might have a dead cell. While in my personal experience I have had good luck with desulfators, they can't overcome a dead cell.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CRex - '87 Honda CRX Si r
90 day: 34 mpg (US)

Taurazz - '05 Ford Taurus
90 day: 23.38 mpg (US)

HF ecomod cheater - '86 Honda Crx HF
Fyi,
I looked around for EDTA, but was only able to find a supply on Ebay, and it seemed expensive for the amount you get. There is also a source on Ebay for an inexpensive (around $35-$40 U.S.) desulphator, which I bought two of....
There is the before mentioned free parts lists on the NET to build your own, but I have more money than time at this point.....

The ones I bought seem pretty advanced(for all I know about them). Short circuit protection, overcharging protection, will only work when charging(shuts off automatically below 12.5 volts so you don't drain your battery), and other features I can't remember right now....

I hooked up my o-scope and verifed the unit's pulsing.

I do not have time for controlled testing, but have revived my motorcycle battery(would not turn the bike over-now cranks extrememly fast). And beefed up my CRX battery. Got several dead batteries on the shelf that are next in line....

For kicks, I also rejuvenated my 3 ryobi 18vdc battery packs(all would charge maximum around 13 volts- Now back to full 18vdc charged at only about 5 minutes on the desulphator).... These are Ni-Cad batteries, so i imagine the desulphator didn't do the same job as it does on lead batters, probably blew out internal micro shorts or something, I'm not sure..... Still playing....

Just updating for information- something i didn't know about before- thanks for the info guys....
Old 06-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is there any simple way to test the desulfator for output without an O scope? I am very rural & I doubt there is one within 30 Kilometers.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibs View Post
Is there any simple way to test the desulfator for output without an O scope? I am very rural & I doubt there is one within 30 Kilometers.
I suppose the oscilloscope is the right way to test it, but I don't have one, and wouldn't have a clue how to use it anyway! I figure you should know within a week's use whether the desulfator is working or not. If the resting voltage goes up after a week, they are doing something. If not, try another battery OR it may not be working. I just got a "BatterMINDer" yesterday and I'm loooking forward to seeing how well it works. I still have the WizBang one hooked up, but I have SOOO many batteries, and this one is supposed to do up to 4 at once. Plus, it has the charger built in so I don't need to parallel a charger with it. Seems worth the extra $10 compared to the desulfator alone. Time will tell.....
Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #39 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

A good desulphator when hooked up to a battery sends out strong rapid pulses, if you hook up the desulphator as normal but leave a small gap on one terminal you will see and hear a hi pitched buzz as sparks rapidly cross the gap.

Some desulphators are too wimpy to see and hear but my BD-2 defineately is visible if this happens.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
It sounds like you might have a dead cell. While in my personal experience I have had good luck with desulfators, they can't overcome a dead cell.
This thread seems the closest to my question, so here goes. I have charged my chevy batteries for many years, without disconnecting any cables from the car - however found this in the 1999 honda owner's manual.

Quote:
Charging the battery with the cables connected can seriously damage your car's electronic controls. Detach the battery cables before connecting the battery to a charger.
Is this really necessary?

Do you disconnect the cables when charging a car battery?

Reply  Post New Thread