Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2024, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

A review of water injection applied on the internal combustion engine

Conclusions and future research directions
Water injection, with an effective cooling effect for the in-cylinder combustion process, has attracted extensive attentions in recent years due to the potential knock mitigation and NO x reduction.

This paper provides a critical review of the current state of the art research on this technique.
After detailed introductions of water injection and evaporation processes, mechanisms of the in-cylinder combustion with water addition were discussed thoroughly.
An in-depth survey of WI applied on different types of ICEs was then conducted followed by the comparisons and combinations of WI with other engine techniques.
Finally, some critical issues were addressed. From the above discussions, the following conclusions are obtained:

(1)
Wall film formation that reduces charge cooling and premature vaporization outside of the cylinder are the main causes for the lower efficiency of the intake runner/port WI implementation, compared to direct or emulsion WI.
An accurate evaluation of the water evaporation shows great importance of the design and optimization of different WI systems, and also for an accurate calculation of the heat release rate.

[I NB that any WI before the airflow meter will result in the metering out of fuel for water vapour gas rather than air...
ie: Any of the clickbait type videos that abound on YouTube should be taken with a pinch of salt]

(2)
For the CI engine, water addition from the “fuel side” has a positive effect on the combustion, while a small negative effect on efficiency is inevitable with the water addition from the surrounding “air side”.
The dilution effect of WI is much larger than the thermal effect and chemical effect on the NOx reduction of the CI engine.
Water directly injected into the combustion zone allows larger decreases of the combustion temperature and therefore the NOx emissions.
This also benefits the NO x and PM trade-off, where NOx reduction is possible without significant impact on PM.

(3)
For the SI engine, water injection mainly slows down the laminar flame speed, but the combustion duration is not significantly affected when combined with an advanced spark timing with a small amount of injected water.
Effects of WI on emissions of SI combustion should be considered with the engine operating conditions and the adjustments of other parameters like the spark timing and AFR.
With the increase of WI amount and the decrease of fuel enrichment, HC and CO decrease simultaneously, but trends are different with WI under stoichiometric operating conditions. Variations of NO x and PM emissions also depend on both the amount of injected water and the in-cylinder air fuel ratio.

(4)
WI has been shown as a cost-effective approach for the downsized gasoline engine operating without fuel enrichment (lambda = 1), and the required water fuel ratio for stoichiometric operation depends on the WI implementation, engine specifications and driving cycles.
Evaluating from an in-cylinder charge cooling point of view, using the same amount of water, direct in-cylinder WI is the best choice, and port WI is better than the upstream WI. Injection pressure, timing and location of water should be optimized with consideration given to the water evaporation, combustion and emissions.
In addition, the selection of WI implementations should be considered with respect to benefits, robustness, packaging and expenditure.

(5)
WI is a good alternative to EGR for introducing inert species into the cylinder, therefore mitigating knock combustion on the SI engine and reducing NO x emissions from the CI engine.
A combination of WI and EGR can further decrease the NO x emissions in the CI engine, and PM emissions (smoke) also decrease compared to the sole EGR solution.

(6)
Combined with a high CR, multistage air charging system or Miller cycle, WI shows great potential on the SI engine for further downsizing, which has been shown to be a cost-effective approach to reduce CO 2 emissions for the new generation of SI engines.
The decreased TIT maybe used as an enabler for employing variable geometry turbines on the gasoline engine, and material costs on the turbocharger can be decreased due to the reduced thermal stress.

It should also be stressed that water injection is still not a mature technique for commercial vehicles. Fundamentals of both thermo-physical and chemical kinetic effects of water addition on combustion phenomena and emissions need to be further investigated with respect to different water injection implementations and engine types.

In addition, only limited amount of studies regarding long term operation using water injection have been published, and friction analysis on piston ring and engine block, carbon deposit on water injector, metal debris and water content on lubricating oil and corrosion analysis need to be further evaluated for water injection commercialization.

[I NB that by the addition of Boric Acid to the water all friction concerns are null and void.
In fact the opposite is true and further dramatic improvements in economy, longevity and smoothness will be evident.
But that's a subject for another day.

Anyone interested can start by looking at the research done by Argonne National Labs where it was discovered by Dr Ali Erdemir.
There is a huge amount of subsequent research by other research institutes, as befits such a ground breaking discovery]

Here's a link to a draft of the full paper:
https://purehost.bath.ac.uk/ws/porta...tal/190048010/
NB the BSFC improvement from ~380 g/kWh down to ~230 g/kWh at 2100rpm shown in the graph.

If your ISP has NOT been bribed into flagging Sci-Hub as malicious; you will find a better formatted version of the paper here:
https://sci-hub.ru/https://www.scien...96890419300883

A search for
engine water injection kits
brings up a great many kits you will now be better equipped to choose from.
There are also a good number of YouTube videos on various makes of kits.
I hope someone finds this useful..?

Last edited by Logic; 08-31-2024 at 05:52 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2024, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
Water directly injected into the combustion zone allows larger decreases of the combustion temperature and therefore the NOx emissions.
I would be more concerned about lube oil contamination, as there would be a shorter timeframe for the water to fully switch to vapour phase, even if it's blended with some alcohol.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I would be more concerned about lube oil contamination, as there would be a shorter timeframe for the water to fully switch to vapour phase, even if it's blended with some alcohol.
Remember that your ICE is burning the Hydrogens in the Hydrocarbon fuel.
ie: It oxidises H very exothermically and 2H2+O2=2H20...

In fact your engine makes about a liter of water for every liter of fuel burned.
So there is always water in the oil.
It boils off, keeping the amount acceptable and it's only when you have a gasket leak or similar issue that the rate of water added overtakes the rate of boil-off...

Then there is my suggestion to add Boric Acid to the water you seem to have glossed over..?
I'll start you off on some research, so you actually want to do more:

"...The above results demonstrate that with a mixture of boric acid [Boric Oxide+water] and an oil lubricant, the friction coefficients are reduced by 10 to over 1000% below those of the unmixed lubricant itself. The wear rates of pins are reduced by factors of 50 to 100 below those of pins tested in unmixed oil itself..."
Dr Ali Erdemir, Argonne National Labs.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5431830A/en

It'll take a while, but everyone will eventually realize that I DO NOT make bold, Boric Acid type statements without THOROUGH research!
For Boric; I spent a good month reading the peer reviewed, published research.

(Peer reviewed, published:
If your peers at other universities etc haven't reviewed, optionally verified and whiteballed your paper; you aren't publishing it.
ie: The kind of reading where you know you aren't wasting your time reading BS)

Last edited by Logic; 09-02-2024 at 08:21 AM..
Old 09-04-2024, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Of course I never forgot water vapour as a byproduct of combustion.

Finding boric acid on the other hand might not be so easy as it used to be, due to some environmental regulations.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Finding boric acid on the other hand might not be so easy as it used to be, due to some environmental regulations.
I buy it at chemist shops as an ant/bug killer.
Also Carrom Powder...

(I then stick put it in a coffee grinder and stick the pair in the freezer;
This makes the Boric Oxide good and brittle so the the coffee grinder does a better job of making the particles finer.
Repeat 2 or 3 times)

BTW:
According to the peer reviewed tox studies I looked at:
300 grams of table salt will kill you if you can keep it down.
It takes 500 grams of Boric Acid...

It's in or is important for cell membranes and synovial/joint fluid.
ie:
The "it's gonna kill you for just looking at it!" is a crock of BS.
Probably the BS is paid for by those who sell lots of engines and other things they want to wear out so they can sell you another 1 soonest.
Old 09-04-2024, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
I believe you are associating an intellegent malevolence that has not been adequately demonstrated to be causal with your statement.

Boric acid fell out of favor for petroleum based pesticides because they were cheaper to make and buy, and killed things while you watched. Key point is cheaper.
Old 09-04-2024, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I believe you are associating an intellegent malevolence that has not been adequately demonstrated to be causal with your statement.

Boric acid fell out of favor for petroleum based pesticides because they were cheaper to make and buy, and killed things while you watched. Key point is cheaper.
Probably! I get extremely P'd off when someone else decides things I can or cannot have and that gets me going! Especially when they start lying about it to try dissuade me from even looking!

I have no quarrel with your pesticide statement, but that's not the point here; I was simply suggesting ways/places to find Boric Acid.
Old 09-07-2024, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
I get extremely P'd off when someone else decides things I can or cannot have and that gets me going! Especially when they start lying about it to try dissuade me from even looking!
I can relate to that

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Logic (09-07-2024)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
evaporation, water injection