Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
It would make sense for a new connector type and packaging standard to be developed for LED for new construction and remodels. Heck, it might even make sense for the electronics to be housed in a separate module within the house so that bulbs are fed DC at the voltage they need, thereby reducing complexity/cost and possibly improving safety. A single 15A run to a centrally located converter could then branch out to all rooms. There'd be a little cost savings for wiring since you only need 1 AC branch to feed all lights, and the low voltage would make working on lighting safe.

I made my first LED light in 1999 by crushing the glass bulb in my Petzl headlamp and wiring 3 white LEDs in series with an appropriately rated resistor, soldered to the base of the crushed bulb. I wanted the ability to swap back to a regular bulb if my new invention failed. I think each white LED was $8 apiece. I went from getting 1 night hike out of a set of AA batteries to several weeks worth.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (10-17-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
..I made my first LED light in 1999 by crushing the glass bulb in my Petzl headlamp and wiring 3 white LEDs in series.....
In early 90's, we did the same for our Astronomy business, crushing hundreds (thousands?) of white bulbs. Replaced with red LEDs for flashlights to make star chart reading possible, without losing night vision. Wow! We sold LOTS of red light, dim-set LED flashlights. We undercut the better advertised national companies, so made some money. Would have sold more, but the ones we made were so dependable, we didn't get many repeat customers. We did get lots of people referred by customers, tho.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

We take for granted that LEDs can be any color we want, but back in the early 90's it was only red, green, and maybe yellow/orange. When the blue LED came out in the late 90's, I bought one for $8 just because it was novel. Of course, it was the blue LED that soon unlocked the ability to create white light, or any other color.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
It would make sense for a new connector type and packaging standard to be developed for LED for new construction and remodels. Heck, it might even make sense for the electronics to be housed in a separate module within the house so that bulbs are fed DC at the voltage they need, thereby reducing complexity/cost and possibly improving safety. A single 15A run to a centrally located converter could then branch out to all rooms.
Copper wires to distribute 5V, else fiberoptic cable to distribute the light itself?

Old 10-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I like fiber optic, but you'd still need individual lights for the strands that you want to represent a group.

My friend recently gave me a light box with fiber optic strands coming out that would make a neat starfield. To get them to twinkle I need a light blocking wheel that slowly turns and blocks light intermittently.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Efficiency can be looked at 2 ways.
LED only where the power in and light out is calculated. (cheating)
Actual power in and light out efficiency.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

CRT, the best ones, can have glossy image without clipped whites and crushed shadows. I could enjoy contrast without lose details in hilightrs and shadows. That's why I deeply hate LCD, cause LCD have a washed out image (fadded look) or a clipped crushed contrast image.
I hate when people tell me LCD (LED) it's fine and it's me who can't calibrate it, since they forgot or ignore LCD cannot be calibrated to remove clipped and crushed tones without make the image washed out.

I feel like Charlton Heston in the movie The Omega Man, where everyone was infected by a deadly virus or became vamopires, except hin. But in my case everyone on Earth got blinded to dynamic range, except me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I don't really hate non-CRT screens, at least not to the same extent you seem to do, but I used to be satisfied with CRT when I still had to rely on them on a nearly-exclusive basis. Didn't even get impressed when I had my first LCD computer monitor. Well, sometimes I still get angry when I remember the day I was moving back to Porto Alegre from Florianópolis and my father gave nearly all of our old TVs to a guy who worked at the condominium we were living prior to my move. Among those, there was a 14" Sharp older than me which was still working great, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still working in someone else's home with a digital converter...
Old 10-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

In slow motion we can see his eyebrows, but he was supposed to have no eybrows, at least in the remastered version. So they forgot that in the remastering FX process.

Star Wars have sound and fire on space. So, rain would not be a so huge surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
Was watching Darth Vader line up his TIE fighter behind one of the Rebels. Adjusting a gismo, I always thot Vader was setting the intermittent windshield wipers.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
It would make sense for a new connector type and packaging standard to be developed for LED for new construction and remodels. Heck, it might even make sense for the electronics to be housed in a separate module within the house so that bulbs are fed DC at the voltage they need, thereby reducing complexity/cost and possibly improving safety. A single 15A run to a centrally located converter could then branch out to all rooms. There'd be a little cost savings for wiring since you only need 1 AC branch to feed all lights, and the low voltage would make working on lighting safe.

I made my first LED light in 1999 by crushing the glass bulb in my Petzl headlamp and wiring 3 white LEDs in series with an appropriately rated resistor, soldered to the base of the crushed bulb. I wanted the ability to swap back to a regular bulb if my new invention failed. I think each white LED was $8 apiece. I went from getting 1 night hike out of a set of AA batteries to several weeks worth.

Reply  Post New Thread