Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Why do things made for the USA have to look so aggressive?

Cold war strategy.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aerospire - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 56.92 mpg (US)

Hindsight - '00 Honda Insight
I find it hard to believe that little car is only getting 38-40MPG. I fully expect it to be modded to get much higher MPGs than that (unless it's really heavy).

Perhaps he should put some LRR tires on it?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

He doesn't drive to save gas. I can't get him to drive much differently, but he will buy LRR tires. He said today that he was trying to coast more, but he also said that he was talking to a friend for 45 minutes in the driveway with the engine running. He takes his lunch break in his car with the engine running sometimes. YIKES!

This is what happens when young people have tooo much money.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Quote:

Yikes... I'm not sure if I like the looks of the USA smart car compared to the Canadian models . Why do things made for the USA have to look so aggressive?
I thought about your question, and I think I have an interesting marketing answer. There's nothing better to throw cold water on sales than to make a car that looks like a girl's car. There's a huge risk of that with that type of car.

Sunday I was standing by that car as people walked out of church. They guys tended to ask questions about mileage and safety and talked about how "cool" it looks. The gals tended to squeal over how "cute" it looks. A number of the shorter ones commented that it looks like it was made for them. Mike, the owner of the car, went past a drive-tru and a bunch of girls ran to the window to look at the "cute car." The truth is, if it looked like a girly-car a guy like Mike (like most American males) wouldn't go near it. If it looks like a guys car to the potential male customer, and it also attracts the gals, most American guys will consider the car.

Right now, I would have to say that any single guy who owns the car has a been meeting a lot of girls who wouldn't otherwise have talked to him and who don't think of him as a wimp.

Last edited by Arminius; 04-08-2008 at 02:40 AM..
Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
I thought about your question, and I think I have an interesting marketing answer. There's nothing better to throw cold water on sales than to make a car that looks like a girl's car. There's a huge risk of that with that type of car.

Sunday I was standing by that car as people walked out of church. They guys tended to ask questions about mileage and safety and talked about how "cool" it looks. The gals tended to squeal over how "cute" it looks. A number of the shorter ones commented that it looks like it was made for them. Mike, the owner of the car, went past a drive-tru and a bunch of girls ran to the window to look at the "cute car." The truth is, if it looked like a girly-car a guy like Mike (like most American males) wouldn't go near it. If it looks like a guys car to the potential male customer, and it also attracts the gals, most American guys will consider the car.

Right now, I would have to say that any single guy who owns the car has a been meeting a lot of girls who wouldn't otherwise have talked to him and who don't think of him as a wimp.
The fact that this is so true, and is universally so in our culture, kills me. Why do people need to define themselves and others by their possessions?

Anyways, I've seen better mileage out of a new corolla, those figures just aren't impressive enough to warrant such a small car I don't think.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Peakster -

Quote:

Yikes... I'm not sure if I like the looks of the USA smart car compared to the Canadian models . Why do things made for the USA have to look so aggressive?
Are Canadian crash standards the same as the USA? I thought that Canada copied Europe. I think the USA standards are more stringent, so bumpers have to be beefier. Maybe you are getting the Euro-Smart and we are getting the reinforced bumper USA-Smart?!?!?!?!?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
The fact that this is so true, and is universally so in our culture, kills me. Why do people need to define themselves and others by their possessions?

Anyways, I've seen better mileage out of a new corolla, those figures just aren't impressive enough to warrant such a small car I don't think.
I agree. I was going to buy a smart. I have been following them since they came out but the US has killed the car with the engine choice. Those that I've talked to were interested when they though that they could get 50-60 mpg out of it but when you're looking at 35-40 mpg with 93 octane gas it kills the deal. I still think it a great car it just that the US has handicap them.

US crash rating.

Last edited by Lazarus; 04-08-2008 at 01:47 PM..
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

I'm still hoping that they will sell the electric model they are trying out in Europe.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Jeep Patriot - '07 Jeep Patriot
90 day: 25.14 mpg (US)

Beige Ford Ranger - '95 Ford Ranger XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
I thought about your question, and I think I have an interesting marketing answer. There's nothing better to throw cold water on sales than to make a car that looks like a girl's car.
I always thought that the Dodge Neon was an example of a car that looked cute and sold like hot-cakes. Even the Ford Tempo/Mercury Topazes might fit into that category too and they were everywhere in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Are Canadian crash standards the same as the USA? I thought that Canada copied Europe. I think the USA standards are more stringent, so bumpers have to be beefier. Maybe you are getting the Euro-Smart and we are getting the reinforced bumper USA-Smart?!?!?!?!?
I've actually heard the exact opposite. There was a CTV news article stating that Canada is actually the one with higher bumper strength standards than the USA.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Peakster -

Quote:

I've actually heard the exact opposite. There was a CTV news article stating that Canada is actually the one with higher bumper strength standards than the USA.
Ok. My info/logic is faulty.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread