Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Captain Planet

Smokey - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

Jade - '02 Acura RSX Type S
Smokey's Modding Thread (2000 Civic VP sedan)

Hello to all viewing! This thread will document the ecomoddin' on my '00 Civic sedan. This is the first vehicle I am modifying, and I've still got much to learn. So if you have any advice or suggestions, feel free.

We have big ideas for Smokey and plan on going all out as I get more and more wrench smart

Before any mods or hypermiling brains, I was able to scrounge up a 28-30 mpg average with predominantly city driving. The first goal I have set for myself is to achieve a 40 mpg average in the city, and I'm already well on track! My last tank scored an even 34.

So here's to change! Updates to come!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:
2000mc (10-21-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Looks like you're off to a good start.
Good luck!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Captain Planet

Team Honda

Update 1! SG II, Upper grille block, 5w30 synthetic, K&N

I have a less-than-permanent upper grille block in place. It is made of heavy duty transparent duct tape, and so far it has held up well though a week of rainstorms...

I decided to tape the grille first to see how the temperatures would respond to less airflow, and it has taken well both at lower city speeds and at 55 mph on the highway. So in the future I will replace it with something more permanent, possibly sheet aluminum, or whatever I can get my hands on.

Additionally, I swapped conventional oil for Castrol synthetic 5w30, and also decided to switch to a K&N air filter. And last but definitely not least..

ScanGauge II in place! Arrived just last night. The old Kiwi MPG instrumentation will be given to a hypermiler-in-training
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2176.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	12525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	12526  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mira For This Useful Post:
MTXA (02-23-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Runs with scissors

Spot - '05 Scion XA
90 day: 30.33 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by connorkeyser View Post
The old Kiwi MPG instrumentation will be given to a hypermiler-in-training
Good karma coming your way for that! Maybe a few easy mpg gains.....

In regards to your thread about in-car convex mirrors, check Amazon.com & search "Fouring mirror". They have left & right mirrors that strap to the A-pillar interior trim panel. I'm giving them the eyeball for my project.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Have a try at a plexiglass upper grill block. I like mine. You see the "H" logo through it. Any sheet material takes patience to cut a good fitting panel. I suggest cardboard or something cheap enough.

My plexiglass block is attached with four stainless screws and washers, one at each of the 4 outer corners. Maybe you can invent a way to attach your ock without leaving screws showing.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Captain Planet

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTXA View Post
Good karma coming your way for that! Maybe a few easy mpg gains.....
You gave me good juju! I recently took a trip to Houston with a couple of friends and achieved an average 49 MPG highway across ~700 miles. The two tanks averaged 46 and 47 due to some city driving thrown in. A personal best

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Have a try at a plexiglass upper grill block. ... Any sheet material takes patience to cut a good fitting panel. I suggest cardboard or something cheap enough.
Noted. When time allows the first matter I'll take on is a nicer, more aero upper block. Thanks for your ideas!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Captain Planet

Team Honda

Quick little update. Since my last post, a couple of improvements have been made. I have switched to manual steering, which feels so great to drive! As well as pumping up my tires to the max psi rating of 44.

To-do: revise the grille block and work on solid wheel covers.

Until then, cheers!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Captain Planet

Team Honda

Hello ecomodders! Just a quick post. Since the majority of my driving is in the suburbs and city, I have been focusing mainly on driving techniques recently cause there hasn't been any spare time for modding. Nonetheless, I am incessantly knocking around ideas in my head.

My next mods are likely to be the wheel covers, a lower block (installed a temporary duct tape one for testing purposes, will make a better and more durable one), a wiper deflector, and NGK iridiums.

I did install an upper block, it's tape backed with semi-tough plastic and both functions better and doesn't look half bad. Not permanent though,, I am also thinking of trying foam and fiberglass. I also covered the fog light indentations with the same plastic-n-tape method.

Lastly, after many consecutive 40+ mpg trips and some 45+ trips when I'm lucky ^^ I could say I have met my first goal, but I'd rather wait and let the next couple of tanks do the talkin'.

Cheers! Time to make time and get to work..
Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
I see that another nice project is coming, good luck!
SGII and a grill block is a great start, along with pumping up the tires and thinner oil it should give you noticeable difference in FE. But if you drive mostly in suburbs and city it good to think of loosing some weight. Maybe a smaller battery, maybe some junk from the trunk? Unused seats and carpets?

Anyway keep us posted on the progress.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Captain Planet

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
I see that another nice project is coming, good luck!
SGII and a grill block is a great start, along with pumping up the tires and thinner oil it should give you noticeable difference in FE. But if you drive mostly in suburbs and city it good to think of loosing some weight. Maybe a smaller battery, maybe some junk from the trunk? Unused seats and carpets?

Anyway keep us posted on the progress.
Good suggestions. Thanks! Weight reduction should be of more priority for me... Starting now! I have thought about removing the rear seats. I would only do so if I could remove/replace them without too too much difficulty. On my long summer trips I post ads for rideshare, and a seat would be a nice accommodation for my guests

My battery ought to have a good bit of life left in it, which is good so I can decide what I want to do in that area. A smaller battery, perhaps, but that sounds a bit too easy for me. I'm going to research deep cycle units, alternator switches, or maybe even some electrical assistance. Gotta find out what exactly is possible, however ridiculous it may be I'll probably be open to trying it

I can't wait to rideshare this summer, maybe I can recruit a new member or two for the EM crew!

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic, honda