Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 03:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
Michelins new Defender in 215-65-16 has pretty much all the good stuff, high load, light weight, LRR 44 psi AND a 90,000 mile warranty!
Thanks for the advice, kinda off the topic but your fuel log on the manual sonata was one of the reasons I went with the Optima. It showed me that it is possible to beat the EPA. Which wheel and tire combo are you using?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Tire size? Larger is better - and you measure that by load carrying capacity (Load Index). But the effect is small, so a sacrifice in this area won't have any major effects.

LRR? Beware - that only means that the tire has better RR compared to comparable tires - same treadwear and traction rating. It is NOT a measure of absolute RR.

Max pressure? Pay no attention to that value. It is abitrarily assigned and has no real meaning.

You are probably better staying with the 16" and the higher aspect ratio. More likely to have true LRR tires in that size. Lower aspect ratios - not so much.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
F8L (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minispeed View Post
Thanks for the advice, kinda off the topic but your fuel log on the manual sonata was one of the reasons I went with the Optima. It showed me that it is possible to beat the EPA. Which wheel and tire combo are you using?
Stock wheels (16x6.5) and tires (Kumho KH25 205-65-16).

I haven't seen any current Kumho rated in comparisons but the ones I have seen are not rated well compared to the top LRR tires so this makes me yearn for some REAL efficient tires with a low RR.

I do however have 30,800 miles on them and here is what I can say.
They seem to coast pretty well, are quiet on smooth pavement, a little loud on bad pavement, have good grip wet or dry and has been the best rain tire I have ever used. You would never notice puddles or even small lakes. It would just slice right through with no steering input.

Now that tread is half of new, it shows a preference for wherever the deeper water is and you get the 'slowing' effect when you hit thicker areas.

Closing on 2 years with this car, and STILL have not decided which tire to get for replacement when the time comes...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
In a 205/65/16 you have the option for the Energy Saver A/S. I have yet to find a more fuel efficient tire. I'm seeing a 3mpg gain vs. the OE AVID S33D and AVID Ascend. TireRack also observed a 3mpg gain over other LRR and one non- LRR tire. When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

They are not the best for handling, however.
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Old 06-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Light weight & taller diameter rank 1-2, IMO. Tall tire test.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
minispeed (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Stock wheels (16x6.5) and tires (Kumho KH25 205-65-16).

I haven't seen any current Kumho rated in comparisons but the ones I have seen are not rated well compared to the top LRR tires so this makes me yearn for some REAL efficient tires with a low RR.

I do however have 30,800 miles on them and here is what I can say.
They seem to coast pretty well, are quiet on smooth pavement, a little loud on bad pavement, have good grip wet or dry and has been the best rain tire I have ever used. You would never notice puddles or even small lakes. It would just slice right through with no steering input.

Now that tread is half of new, it shows a preference for wherever the deeper water is and you get the 'slowing' effect when you hit thicker areas.

Closing on 2 years with this car, and STILL have not decided which tire to get for replacement when the time comes...

Are those the steel wheels? The optima comes with Nexan tires, so far I have found they are good, comfortable, quiet, enough grip to handle my needs, not long enough for me to test wear and I haven't really got a chance to test them in the wet. However in a 6 mid size comparison car and driver tested the Optima last in a few classes and far below the mostly equal Sonata and attributed it to the tires, I think the quote was "tires by Nexan, who?". 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco vs. 2012 Honda Accord EX-L, 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE, 2012 Kia Optima EX, 2012 Toyota Camry SE, 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE Comparison Tests - Page 5 - Car and Driver. As much as I love fuel economy a tire that causes a car to get LAST in the braking test when it's cousin car ties for first is a major downside to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Light weight & taller diameter rank 1-2, IMO. Tall tire test.
Yes I read your tall tire test before I did the 8% increase on the miata. You also had a weight increase in the taller tires and still saw a MPG increase right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Tire size? Larger is better - and you measure that by load carrying capacity (Load Index). But the effect is small, so a sacrifice in this area won't have any major effects.

LRR? Beware - that only means that the tire has better RR compared to comparable tires - same treadwear and traction rating. It is NOT a measure of absolute RR.

Max pressure? Pay no attention to that value. It is abitrarily assigned and has no real meaning.

You are probably better staying with the 16" and the higher aspect ratio. More likely to have true LRR tires in that size. Lower aspect ratios - not so much.
I know in my mind I want to stay 16 and keep the old tires (but see above about stopping distance). However I have the urge to make the car look better and try a fuel economy experiment at the same time. I really am not happy with the way the car looks on 16s. The tires look tiny. I really like the 15s on my prius and had no urge to go bigger but these ones don't look right. I understand this is not the most economical solution which is why I want to find the most economical factors to consider in a non economical decision if that makes any sense.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Yes, the steel wheels. I REALLY want to get my hands on the 2011 Sonata Hybrid alloys, yes the weird looking ones. More aero (maybe) and 8 lbs lighter each!

I keep hearing all this about others switching to Michelin LRR's and getting 6%+ gain in economy and am very jealous as I just don't NEED tires right now, want yes.

But let's see, my last three tanks would have averaged OVER 40 instead of just shy of 38! Yep, I need em bad!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Yes, the steel wheels. I REALLY want to get my hands on the 2011 Sonata Hybrid alloys, yes the weird looking ones. More aero (maybe) and 8 lbs lighter each!

I keep hearing all this about others switching to Michelin LRR's and getting 6%+ gain in economy and am very jealous as I just don't NEED tires right now, want yes.

But let's see, my last three tanks would have averaged OVER 40 instead of just shy of 38! Yep, I need em bad!
I really like the Optima hybrid wheels and would love to get a set. A lot of people say they are ugly but none that are selling them around me. I keep thinking that i should probably do as you are and stick with the stock tires since it's the most Economical solution. Plus with a drop and a darker rim they won't look as small.

I was factoring in selling the old tires and maybe buying used 17s but with the "nexan, who?" I probably won't get much for the tires on the used market even if they are brand new. It's just too bad that the rim I want isn't available in 16.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Well I pulled the trigger, I went with the balance of cheapest and best looking (in my opinion) with the highest load rating (103).

Drag dr-44 - 21.6lbs (not a lot of info on this weight as it's from amazon so I'm hoping that's a shipping weight). Nankang 235 55 17 103xl, $90 per tire. There's not a lot of info on Nankangs available but from what I found they should be 29lbs and 44psi max.

My stock set up was 44lbs. The other option was MB weapons - 18.1lbs with Hankook 225 55 17 101xl 50psi 25lb tires. That combo would have been $90 more and I didn't think it looked as good.

So I took on 7.5 more lbs for 110lbs more load per tire with .4in more diameter and 10less rev/mile (765 vs 775). I was making the assumption that at that high of a load rating the extra 6psi probably would have been negligible.

The drags have a good european touring car look, the weapons are a more modern asian tunner look.

drag dr-44

weapons

I also think it may be easier to add aero covers to the drag and the dual bolt pattern also fits the prius and also makes selling the set used easier.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Package shipped today, UPS says the weight is 54.2lbs per. Can't wait to test them out!

Reply  Post New Thread