Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Today I did a 29 mile round trip with 2 stops in the middle. On the way down I was averaging 30 mpg. On the way back my instant mileage was not as well as I left town. About a mile out the Ultragauge gave me a warning that I was over 4000 rpm. I looked down and I had inadvertently had the auto transmission in second, oops. No wonder the instant mileage wouldn't go over 18mpg. I ended up with 28+ mpg round trip.

I think my single front wheel cover made some difference. I made the left side steel frame and laid the composite. It is curing.

Maybe averaging 30mpg is a reality in my minivan.
A modest boat tail might push you to mid-thirties!

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Varn (10-14-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Boat tail, I have been thinking about one. When I got home today I got out the flox and laid a layer on my front cover. It is quite bumpy and has two tape overlaps. A more permanent fitting may be necessary. I am still sanding with 36 grit

For my boat tail I was considering a similar construction as my wheel fairings. I would need some metal to make a frame then a dacron cover to act as a mold for the composite. I wish I could stand cardboard. I have stacks of 2x4 target board.

I may have to turn loose of some money and get a 4wd small vehicle. I bottomed out 3 times on our road this afternoon. My small bodywork survived.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 10-14-2010 at 09:51 PM..
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

metal

Quote:
Boat tail, I have been thinking about one. When I got home today I got out the flox and laid a layer on my front cover. It is quite bumpy and has two tape overlaps. A more permanent fitting may be necessary. I am still sanding with 36 grit

For my boat tail I was considering a similar construction as my wheel fairings. I would need some metal to make a frame then a dacron cover to act as a mold for the composite. I wish I could stand cardboard. I have stacks of 2x4 target board.

I may have to turn loose of some money and get a 4wd small vehicle. I bottomed out 3 times on our road this afternoon. My small bodywork survived.
A neighbor constructed a tail for his Vanagon using a welded 1/2" EMT frame covered in doped fabric which his wife had stitched on.He was an old tail-dragger owner/pilot,gyro-copter builder and no newcomer to lightweight construction.
I'll bet his boat tail didn't weigh 10-pounds.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Aerohead, that is basically how I was building my front wheel fairings. I used 9 gauge wire and sewed dacron on the them. I did coat the dacron with a layer of carbon then wet it out. The dacron acts as a mold and is a mold release as well. I like the look of the fabric how it flows between the metal frame parts. I got the idea watching some ridiculous car stereo program and they built in their speaker enclosures much the same way.

I may start some real work on the rear of my minivan. I am not sure how much I will get done as I refuse to do any carbon work in my shop. Too hazardous but perhaps building the rear framework and using dacron fabric might get me started.

I have made my front grill cover permanent now. It is finally gotten smooth enough to start looking good too (Apply a thin layer of micro, sand it off, repeat.). Today I fitted it in so that that the hood could be opened without removing it. I have a 1/8" gap so that is pretty small. I may use a technique that learned to make the gap as thin as a layer of duct tape.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 10-16-2010 at 05:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-08-2011)
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
The image isn't showing up.
I downloaded it, it's a blank image

Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

fixed link.
Here is the stock front. From straight on it hard to get a visualization of the lower lip created by the bumper.

Noah Webster, 1787

Last edited by Varn; 10-16-2010 at 07:49 PM..
Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'Impact' van

When the Impact debuted at the Los Angeles Auto Show GM also had a hybrid van which was showcased.
The van has a small Kamm-back boat tailed section and is rated around Cd 0.25,quite a bit lower than the Pontiac Trans Sport of Cd 0.30.
If I could wisk the magic fabrication fairies your way,I'd have 'em put a short tail together for your van just to see what it would do.
1st-gen Insight/Prius minivan!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Thanks for the inspiration. I have thought about putting on a tail trunk on the trailer hitch receiver.

Has anyone seen a photo of such van.

My wife really doesn't like driving the VW although she does fine with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
When the Impact debuted at the Los Angeles Auto Show GM also had a hybrid van which was showcased.
The van has a small Kamm-back boat tailed section and is rated around Cd 0.25,quite a bit lower than the Pontiac Trans Sport of Cd 0.30.
If I could wisk the magic fabrication fairies your way,I'd have 'em put a short tail together for your van just to see what it would do.
1st-gen Insight/Prius minivan!

Noah Webster, 1787
Reply  Post New Thread