Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #131 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I'm with Frank this time. I think you're getting too smart for yourself.

The added complexity and weight of the e-supercharger, while brilliant, is over the top. If it were me, I wouldn't have gone adding more weight to try to make the engine make more power, I would simply apply the power that might be consumed by the echarger to the electric traction motor, and invest other monies and efforts in optimizing the diesel's conventional performance, perhaps with a small turbo for low-end torque boosting. All this other stuff feels a lot like answering questions nobody ever asked, or would ask. You had an original goal of signficant weight reduction, reduction equivalent to that of an entire passenger. Are you setting that goal aside?

All of that said, I will absolutely read every word and am dying to see how it turns out.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Agreed it is a bit much but it was something I always talked about doing and like the old saying you only live once kind of consumed my mind There is a lot I can do with that Electric Supercharger setup I have luckily. I can even change out the E-motor for a much lighter unit I recently found. It weighs in at 17lbs and puts out peak 20kw vs the ME0709 37lb 19 peak HP heavy monster . So I can save 20lbs as well as gain power with this swap. Here is a link to the website for this motor = RV-160 Pro | REVOLT These are really good motors and have solid reviews. I also have the ability to only use the E-motor if I want so yes I can do away with the Supercharger all together. Also will be using lighter weight batteries which saves me a bunch of weight.

I am most definitely focused on weight reduction despite the electric supercharger about face I am moving forward with the carbon fiber driveshaft that will weigh in at around 5lbs which will reduce the rotating mass by 10lbs. Also found a supplier for aluminum rear differential casing which will save some good weight around 20+ pounds. I also plan on getting the rear aluminum finned drum brakes which also contribute to positive weight savings where you want it the most in the unsprung category. Also weight savings in this category is the composite leaf spring. Recently I found a reputable supplier for these also at a good price. Which is cool but they are single leaf units and are not setup as a swing spring. I have not contacted them yet to see if they can make a swing spring. This is what I have been working on but if they can I might pick one up for comparison and back up sake in case mine fails miserably.

The wheels and tires I have finally got figured out and they will save a bunch of weight off the stock units and or the ones used on the original Centurion. I will be using the 13" X 3.5" wheels that weigh 10lbs and Continental super low rolling resistance tires that weigh in at 9lbs. Due to the fact I have the 2 cylinder engine I am also able to downsize everything in comparison to the 3 cylinder engine in the original Centurion. Smaller flywheel, smaller clutch, smaller radiator etc.. The engine to transmission connection is a fraction of the weight of the 3 cylinder mainly because I don't have a separate bellhousing as mine is all one piece.

This will be a very light weight optimized Centurion despite the extra electric do dads. It will also be much more powerful than the 3 cylinder version with a taller final drive to boot. The Volvo .32 overdrive is the tallest you can get and works well on the Triumph cars if you have the time to figure it out.

The two mods that I am most excited about though that really don't do much for MPG are the forward flip hood and the Gullwing doors. The hood I have figured out but I still have work to do on the doors. I may have to end up completely reworking the doors from scratch as they are in bad shape and I really want a roll down window. The fixed windows just don't excite me much.

Sorry for the long message here but I guess I am overdo for some good updates.

Talk to you later elhigh and thanks for stopping by.

GH..
Old 03-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #133 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Today was a big win day for the mechanical section of the project. I was able to secure a D-Type Overdrive transmission that is newly rebuilt and never used for a fraction of the cost at $600 delivered. This was huge because the 3 rail transmission that I have was non overdrive and would have needed a full rebuild and conversion in order to use the Volvo D-Type Overdrive unit. So this not only saves me a bunch of money but also time. So big win for team Centurion on this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D Type OD Transmission #1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	19719   Click image for larger version

Name:	D Type OD Transmission #2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	19720  
Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Today I was able to purchase some heavy duty engine mounts with 4 built in rubber engine vibration stoppers that fit the Triumph Chassis perfectly. My plan is to use these as templates and get some lighter weight aluminum mounts machined up. These mounts were being used on a reefer unit and can be found relatively easy. My goal was to find mounts that will isolate the diesel engines vibrations better than the original Centurions motor mounts which are simply Triumph Spitfire mounts flipped and repurposed.

I also found a low profile oil pan that I am going to purchase which will reduce the engine height by a solid 3 inches. It is aluminum and also was used for reefers.

Post updated with some pics of the mounts although these mounts are not cleaned up yet these pics give you some solid visuals of the mounting strategy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine Mount Diagram #1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	19755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Mounts #1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	19759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Mounts #2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	19760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Mounts #3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	19761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Mounts #4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	19762  

Name:	Engine Mounts #5.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	19763  

Last edited by GreenHornet; 03-14-2016 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Added Pics
Old 03-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #135 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
There is a lot I can do with that Electric Supercharger setup I have luckily.
I'm still kinda skeptical about those electric superchargers. A conventional turbocharger still sounds to me like a better solution, as it's already proven and uses some energy that would be otherwise wasted instead of increasing the power demand from the electric system.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 AM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Electrically driven superchargers and turbochargers are the technology of the future for engine performance. This technology will allow the big auto manufacturers to downsize there engines for decreased CO2 output yet have greater performance due to no turbo lag.

Here are some links that talk about it:

#1. http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...sel-power-race
#2.BMW M3 500 Horsepower Electric Superchargers | car News @ Top Speed
#3. https://www.duryeatechnologies.com/p...-supercharger/
#4. Electric Superchargers - the Next Big Thing for the Automotive Industry
Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #137 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Electrically driven superchargers and turbochargers are the technology of the future for engine performance. This technology will allow the big auto manufacturers to downsize there engines for decreased CO2 output yet have greater performance due to no turbo lag.
Though there are other ways to overcome turbo-lag, it might not be impossible to have both an electric supercharger and a conventional turbo, in a way similar to present-day twin-stage turbocharging or to what Volkswagen does with its TwinCharger setup that incorporates a mechanically-driven blower to provide low-end boost until the turbo kicks in. On a sidenote, BMW was experiencing with starter motors fitted to conventional turbochargers in a Diesel prototype, which seems to be the best idea as it not just overcomes the turbo lag but also doesn't waste the kinetic energy available in the exhaust flow.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #138 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Though there are other ways to overcome turbo-lag, it might not be impossible to have both an electric supercharger and a conventional turbo, in a way similar to present-day twin-stage turbocharging or to what Volkswagen does with its TwinCharger setup that incorporates a mechanically-driven blower to provide low-end boost until the turbo kicks in. On a sidenote, BMW was experiencing with starter motors fitted to conventional turbochargers in a Diesel prototype, which seems to be the best idea as it not just overcomes the turbo lag but also doesn't waste the kinetic energy available in the exhaust flow.
Interestingly, Audi's system is exactly what you're talking about.

On top, a standard 2-stage turbo, but piped in parallel is a smaller electric supercharger on a 48v system to overcome turbo lag.

Sam
Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #139 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Doesn't seem that bad at all. But anyway, considering that conventional exhaust-driven turbochargers also provide some degree of noise suppression, it would be hard to get rid of them and still meet stringent noise emission regulations without an impact to the overall efficiency.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #140 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I purchased a very small lithium battery the other day for an on demand hybrid camping shower I am putting together for the Northwest summer. The battery will power the water pump via a solar panel.

After doing a fair bit of research on the battery I have decided to also use it for the starter battery on the Centurion. This battery is tiny and inline with my weight savings strategy. Here is a link that discusses lithium starter battery sizing = Lithium battery replacement for automobiles and motorcycles

I went with the Shorai LFX Lithium Iron Battery LFX12A1-BS12. Main reason was that these are the safest Lithium chemistry available. Also the price difference between this and the 7ah unit is only $27. The size and weight difference is virtually the same. I wanted something with a bit more power and CCA to make sure it will handle everything I can throw at it. This battery may be overkill but I want the Centurion to be bullet proof in design.

Features:
• Faster cranking for better starts
• Ultra light- one fifth the weight of lead-acid batteries on average
• Holds unloaded charge for one year without maintenance
• Zero sulfation for longer service life
• Super-fast recharge rate
• No explosive gasses during charge, no lead, no acid
• Military spec carbon composite case
• Multiple terminal connection options
• Includes adhesive back foam sheets
• Factory activated
• Environmentally friendly
• 2 year warranty

Specs:
• 12 V- Volts
• 155 CCA- Cold Cranking Amps
• 12 Ah- Amp Hours
• 12 A Max Charge Rate
• Weight: 1.35 lbs/0.6125 kg
• Case Size 1: 66mm/2.6" x 148mm/5.83" x 105mm/4.13"
• See Shorai Specs PDF below for full fitment guide

Here is a link to this battery if you want to read more about it = Shorai Lithium Battery LFX12A1-BS12 - RevZilla

Here is a link on battery charging = How to Charge a Lithium Phosphate Motorcycle Battery

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shorai Dimension and Pic #1.png
Views:	43
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	19753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shorai vs Vespa Battery.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	19754  
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (03-15-2016)