Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #141 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hey Gang I have been playing around these past few days a little with the look of the Centurion and what I am aiming for Aero modification wise. You will notice that on the side view I have deleted the door handles, Rear windows, and gave the car a rear wheel skirt. The door handles will be shaved. The rear windows are going to be replaced with integrated window louver for increased interior air flow and circulation. The rear wheel skirts will be my first major attempt to improve aero toward the rear of the vehicle. The windows and door I have not completely figured out yet so more to come there. I really want a roll down window option! Another thing I might do is extend the rear of the vehicle a little for better aero but a little undecided just yet on how much. If I do it will not be a huge boat tail. Side mirrors will be integrated think the VW XL1 but also with a small wide angle mirror integrated into the pod.

The Front profile you will notice I eliminated the flip up headlights and decreased the size of the front grill opening by a fair amount. What I plan to do with the front is to rework the front bumper with integrated headlights and possibly further reduce the grille opening. This will change the side view and overall length of the car a little most likely. The goal when I am finished is to have a one piece hood that flips up just like the Triumph Spitfire

Also the overall stance of the car will be reduced by a few inches most likely. I plan to get adjustable shocks that will allow the vehicle to be lowered from 1-3 inches.

I have not touched the rear view of the vehicle yet! Lots to touch up on this and I will update this post with updates as I progress.

I have added some detail to the front as well as some pics of where I am going with it so you all can have an idea of the finished look I am shooting for with the front profile. Also added My Centurion Logo for the heck of it Also further decreased the front grille air inlet. There is a ton of work to do with the rendering but I will slowly improve upon it like everything else

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original Centurion Drawing.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	19799   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH Centurion Aero #1a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	19800   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH Centurion Aero #1c.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	19807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevy Camaro Drawings #1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator Grille.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	19809  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Centurion Helmet Logo #6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	19810  

Last edited by GreenHornet; 03-23-2016 at 06:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (03-23-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2016, 12:25 AM   #142 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was just looking at some Centurion pics and up until now I never noticed the roll down windows on the Centurion #2 at the Lane car museum. I have looked at those pics so many times and never noticed it lol There is always something to learn about these cars
Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #143 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I think if my Spitty was lowered 3" it would be dragging on the ground.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The stock Spitfire had a ground clearance of 127mm/5" The GT6 stock had a ground clearance of 102mm/4" most people seem to think that lowering it 1-2 inches is acceptable and will not adversely affect handling.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #145 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yesterday was another good day mechanically for team Centurion. I was able to snag a fully put together functioning Volvo D-type overdrive for much less than I paid for my first D-type in pieces. This unit is also a 32% overdrive so identical to the one I have.

This gives me the ability to have a spare on hand if and when this unit needs an overhaul. The D-type overdrive transmission I will be picking up today so when this overdrive unit gets here I only have to get it cleaned up and make one modification before installation onto the transmission and it will work like a charm Again this saves me time and money right now not having to get my overdrive in pieces rebuilt.

Next I am going to start working on the 3.27 differential getting it all cleaned up and most likely replacing the gaskets and seals etc. I also want to get the aluminum case to lighten the load.

Team Centurion Pressing on slowly

GH
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
changzuki (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #146 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Good deal GreenHornet - glad to see your Centurion is still moving along. Like the pics you posted with the skirts too! The Lane example is an interesting case and it appears Burlington Cars made more than a few changes. I'd love to have that car for a month to figure out what is wrong with it. They did report real world driving at an incredibly low number. Something's not right and the mystery remains...

~CrazyJerry
Old 03-24-2016, 03:14 AM   #147 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
Good deal GreenHornet - glad to see your Centurion is still moving along. Like the pics you posted with the skirts too! The Lane example is an interesting case and it appears Burlington Cars made more than a few changes. I'd love to have that car for a month to figure out what is wrong with it. They did report real world driving at an incredibly low number. Something's not right and the mystery remains...

~CrazyJerry
Ya this is what they claimed lol The Spitfire gas engine would do that hahaha If there claims are true then they have a ridiculous amount of drag somewhere. There can only be so many things. They are definitely using the 4.11 differential for starters. They also probably have only the standard 4 speed transmission with no overdrive. Probably using extremely thick goopy lubrication with sand in it for there transmission and differential lol. There diveshaft is probably not balanced and the brakes are rubbing like crazy. I would also love to see this thing up close and personal. I have to get mine done first though

"Urba Centurion- 1982

The Urba Centurion was a kit car designed by Quincy-Lynn Enterprises in 1982. A full set of plans, available through Mechanix Illustrated, cost a mere $17.00! The basis for the car is a 1970 Triumph Spitfire chassis with the British engine replaced by a three-cylinder 18 hp Kubota diesel engine. The body is handcrafted fiberglass for light weight and aerodynamic efficiency. The car was supposed to be capable of getting 128 mpg when driven at 35 mph; our real-world experience was 40 mpg during normal operation. Although the car looks fast, it has a top speed of only 55 mph, and the windows open only a small amount, making ventilation and cooling totally inadequate for everyday use."

Last edited by GreenHornet; 03-24-2016 at 03:53 AM..
Old 03-24-2016, 06:00 AM   #148 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
The stock Spitfire had a ground clearance of 127mm/5" The GT6 stock had a ground clearance of 102mm/4" most people seem to think that lowering it 1-2 inches is acceptable and will not adversely affect handling.
Due to the precarious conditions of the roads in my country, I wouldn't feel so confident with such a low ground clearance.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ya I would probably set it at 4" for around town and 3" for competition like at the Green Grand Prix. Our roads here in the Pacific Northwest are pretty descent. Besides all my driving would be surface streets in town.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #150 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
[B]Good deal GreenHornet - glad to see your Centurion is still moving along.
The PROJECT is moving along, not the Centurion!

Reply  Post New Thread