Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #101 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Metro - '98 Chevrolet Metro LSi
90 day: 44.6 mpg (US)
Wanna B Eco,

There is no question that proper bike maintenance is much more important than proper car maintenance in regards to safety. Bad tires or bad brakes and you're going to be hitting the asphalt sooner than later.
However, in regards to cost per mile, I disagree. I certainly mean no disrespect to you, but your costs are probably more associated with the type of bike that you ride and the "scene" that goes along with that particular bike rather than motorcycles in general.

My bike costs are infinitely less than my car costs. Some of that is because I'm currently riding a Chinese scoot and everything is relatively cheap, as far as OEM replacement costs go. But I've done the majority of my travel over the last 2 years on two wheels. In that time, I might have spent an average of $20 per month, including gas and maintenance. (Oil changes on a 250cc or 150cc run about $8.) Compared to the car, with a monthly cost of at least $40 a month of gas alone, and considering that I ride more miles that I drive, I'm getting much more MILES PER DOLLAR on the bike than on the car.

In the end, I guess it mostly depends on what type of car you have and how you use the car. The same can be said in reverse order for the bike. If you use your bike a clunker to save gas and get from place to place, it'll be cheap. If it's a garage toy that gets very delicate attention every weekend, the cost per mile will be higher.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #102 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Agreed. It depends. Just like with cars, the Total Cost of Ownership must be looked at. A cheap to buy car or bike can be horridly expensive if it requires expensive maintenance and repairs. It can also be really cheap to own.

The Kawasaki Concours is known for durability and reliability. Typical overbuilt 1980's vintage Japanese motorcycle engineering. Mine was purchased for $1800 and needed some clean-up and basic maintenance and had some minor cosmetic flaws. It has shaft drive and screw valve adjusters - really easy and cheap to maintain.

For tires, there are often many choices. I have well over 40K miles on the rear gold wing touring tire and it is still going strong. Fronts last about 20K. Touring rubber lasts much longer than sport rubber, and I've never had a traction problem except in ice (duh). I feel that if I needed sport rubber to maintain traction I'm probably doing something I really shouldn't be doing anyway. Some people buy the best traction they can buy, but I can say that I don't need DOT R compound radials on my truck. The same philosophy goes for the bike.

If low cost of ownership is part of what you're after, choose carefully. Some manufacturers know that thier customers will pay alot in maintenance, but it is assumed that it is acceptable to the customer. In some markets, the customers demand bikes that are cheap to buy AND maintain, and the manufacturers make them. Do your own evaluation to see what best fits your need.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #103 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Metro - '98 Chevrolet Metro LSi
90 day: 44.6 mpg (US)
You did a better job of saying what I was trying to get across.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #104 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Well, I am selling the van. I'm actually trying to trade it for a newer Ninja 250, possibly even up. I'd also look at other bikes, but I'm really stuck on the Ninja.

As far as maintenance, the tires for my old Ducati-clone were never even close to $375... I think the two times I bought tires, they were about $200 for both... pretty much the same price as a half-assed set of car tires. (Which I never buy new) That on top of the fact that there are always decent used tires (from last season) on craigslist and in the paper.

If your Passport's tires need to be changed every 1000 miles, you need to look into a harder tire compound. You could actually use a low-speed high-load trailer tire safely on a Passport/Ruckus. (Load range C tires would last for damn near forever on a scoot.)

Chances are, if I get another bike, I'll put 10k a year on it, just like I do every other vehicle I have. I'm not the kind of guy that stops riding because it's not 70* outside. I've ridden in the middle of winter, and would do it again, although not for a long distance. (Few miles to the store, maybe.)

Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #105 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

[SOLD] Highway Warrior - '00 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L Manual
90 day: 35.93 mpg (US)

Basic Miata - '06 Mazda Miata Touring
90 day: 30.93 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to 1337
Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan150cc View Post
(Oil changes on a 250cc or 150cc run about $8.)
8 bucks, seriously? I found Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30 on sale at Farm and Fleet for $1.79 per quart. The engine on my Honda Elite 250 takes 0.85L, and the transmission takes 0.15L (I always change both of them at the same time). So, I used around 2 bucks worth of oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan150cc View Post
My bike costs are infinitely less than my car costs.
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding this mathematically... :P

2006 Miata Touring 5MT
2006 VW Jetta TDI 6AT (Sold to buy Miata)
2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L 5MT
2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe 5AT (Water damage, totaled)

DeepScale
Old 07-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #106 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I'm actually trying to trade it for a newer Ninja 250, possibly even up. I'd also look at other bikes, but I'm really stuck on the Ninja.
I'm thinking about buying a Ninja 250. I like doing long drives, and I was thinking a Honda Nighthawk 250 would be more comfortable, but the Ninja looks so freaking badass. Plus, people who check out your bike will confuse the Ninja 250 with the faster, larger-displacement Ninjas.

Quote:
I think the two times I bought tires, they were about $200 for both.
I'm about to order a set of Michelin S1 tires for my Elite 250. $55, shipped.

Quote:
Chances are, if I get another bike, I'll put 10k a year on it, just like I do every other vehicle I have.
Sounds awesome.

2006 Miata Touring 5MT

DeepScale
Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #107 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
I just need to chime in here for a second...

Lately, I have noticed that my accomplishments with my Ninja 250 have persuaded peoples interest towards buying one.

While the 08-09 Kawasaki Ninja 250's look very different from the 87-07 models, you guys need to understand that they are different bikes! Sure, they have the same engine... almost. The New Ninja 250's have different cams and are tuned differently than its older twin. Also, the wheel sizes are different, the stock gearing is different, etc etc etc. Its almost a completely rebuilt motorcycle.

Having said that, the new Ninja 250's do not get the same fuel economy as the older ones. Through break-in, most guys are seeing MPG numbers in the 40's!! Average on the bike seems to be in the mid 50's. My ninja in stock form got around 70mpg!

Could that improve over 30% using techniques i have been using on my 250? Probably. But i don't think you will see a 100mpg 08-09 Ninja 250 anywhere.

Conclusion: Ninja 250's are a complete BLAST to own!! They are easy to work on and maintain, INSURANCE IS CHEAP, they are light weight (easy to push around the garage, etc), and replacement parts for them are plentiful!

For those interested, head over to the Ninja 250 forums and check out the plethora of information and support for these bikes.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
Old 07-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
1337, in your bike choice look a the longer term. You probably plan on owning it for a while. If it turns your crank, get a charge out of walking up to it anticipating the ride, and look good on it, you'll ride it more and keep it longer.

And smile more.

Buy what you like. I'd definitely go with the ninja over the nighthawk. Comfortable standing still has no relation to comfortable while riding. The ninja wins hands down, IMHO of course.

Ride on! And on! And on!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #109 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
I've never ridden any other motorcycle any distance, but I have to say I didn't really like my Ninja 250 for long trips ... more than an hour was too long for me. Bothered my neck/shoulders. I'm average height & light build.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #110 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
I just need to chime in here for a second...

Lately, I have noticed that my accomplishments with my Ninja 250 have persuaded peoples interest towards buying one.

While the 08-09 Kawasaki Ninja 250's look very different from the 87-07 models, you guys need to understand that they are different bikes!

Conclusion: Ninja 250's are a complete BLAST to own!! They are easy to work on and maintain, INSURANCE IS CHEAP, they are light weight (easy to push around the garage, etc), and replacement parts for them are plentiful!
I love that I could buy a 1990s Ninja 250, and it still looks new and cool. I'd probably buy sort of a beater and fix whatever is wrong.

2006 Miata Touring 5MT

DeepScale
Reply  Post New Thread