Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Why do you drive an auto?
I drive a manual 84 54.90%
I have driven both, and prefer auto 19 12.42%
I have only driven automatics 3 1.96%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because of buying used 27 17.65%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because they aren't made (excl hybrid) 16 10.46%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because it's a hybrid 4 2.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #111 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I don't think the cab analogy holds up. Those checkers were huge, i.e. 5000 lbs. Lightweight is best for stop and go, as well as clutch life.

They drove huge gas guzzlers for comfort, and the auto trans probably was smoother for passengers and they had a larger pool of drivers to choose from, economy wasn't a large concern. That's reason enough for a cab business.
The other thing that's nagging in the back of my mind is that you have a larger worker pool to draw from if you only have automatics.

Would a trucker analogy be more appropriate, aka where MPG has a bigger impact on profit?!?!?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 01-03-2011 at 01:56 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #112 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Thymeclock's cab example is limited to the USA's lazy and incompetent driver pool. Take a cab in Mexico City, Hong Kong, Madrid, London, Lima, Sydney, Tel Aviv, Dublin, Zurich, Nairobi, or any other major metropolitan area outside the USA, and you won't find many, if any, automatics.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #113 (permalink)
Lurking footless halls

Dark Horse - '16 Ford Mustang GT convertible Premium

Gutless Beauty - '19 Toyota Corolla SE
I don't know, I just feel kinda stupid with an automatic.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #114 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Thymeclock's cab example is limited to the USA's lazy and incompetent driver pool. Take a cab in Mexico City, Hong Kong, Madrid, London, Lima, Sydney, Tel Aviv, Dublin, Zurich, Nairobi, or any other major metropolitan area outside the USA, and you won't find many, if any, automatics.
So if someone prefers an automatic for whatever reason, they must be lazy and incompetent.

That's quite an insinuation.

Of course there is no bias on Ecomodder, is there?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #115 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Team Toyota
Thymeclock, you're the one telling us that cab use in congested metro areas necessitates automatic transmissions for reliability. If the rest of the world doesn't find AT taxis necessary in London, Barcelona, and similar traffic, there's something wrong with your bias - not with Ecomodder logic.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #116 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Thymeclock, you're the one telling us that cab use in congested metro areas necessitates automatic transmissions for reliability. If the rest of the world doesn't find AT taxis necessary in London, Barcelona, and similar traffic, there's something wrong with your bias - not with Ecomodder logic.
I never used the word "reliability" nor was that my point. I do not appreciate being misquoted or misrepresented.

My point was that a clutch will require replacement before an automatic transmission will fail. At least that has been my personal experience in having owned both, and that is why all the vehicles I own are automatics. And no, driving an automatic does not make me feel "stupid", nor does it mean I am lazy or incompetent.

I'll bet that a clutch job is a lot cheaper in Barcelona than it is in N.Y. City. The expense of it is another reason why I prefer an automatic and the amount I would save in gasoline would not justify it.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #117 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Team Toyota
It doesn't matter whether you ever used the word "reliability" or nor. Your argument is all about the supposed reliability of automatic transmissions v. the maintenance needed for clutches.

The price of a clutch job in Barcelona isn't relevant. Hong Kong and London clutch jobs will cost more than NYC, also irrelevant. Clutch jobs are maintenance costs, minor compared to bodywork, fuel, airport fees, and other costs.

What's relevant is your point falls flat when the rest of the world drives manual transmissions despite your claims about the superiority of automatics. I don't buy your assertion that they're all wrong, and you must be right. You're arguing from your limited world view, thinking that everyone must follow your NYC 40 year (not 50 year) model. Your logic falls apart when you jump into a cab in any other country's major metropolitan city, excluding possibly Canada.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #118 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Another thread sent to the crapper.

regards
Mech
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #119 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether you ever used the word "reliability" or nor. Your argument is all about the supposed reliability of automatic transmissions v. the maintenance needed for clutches.
Reliability is not the issue. Both are reliable. One has a component that will wear out and the other doesn't. And that isn't merely "supposed", it's real. That you choose to ignore.

Quote:
The price of a clutch job in Barcelona isn't relevant. Hong Kong and London clutch jobs will cost more than NYC, also irrelevant. Clutch jobs are maintenance costs, minor compared to bodywork, fuel, airport fees, and other costs.
One has maintenance needs and costs, the other doesn't. That you choose to ignore.

Quote:
What's relevant is your point falls flat when the rest of the world drives manual transmissions despite your claims about the superiority of automatics. I don't buy your assertion that they're all wrong, and you must be right. You're arguing from your limited world view, thinking that everyone must follow your NYC 40 year (not 50 year) model. Your logic falls apart when you jump into a cab in any other country's major metropolitan city, excluding possibly Canada.
Quote:
I don't buy your assertion that they're all wrong, and you must be right.
When did I ever say that "they're all wrong"? You have a real talent for putting words in the mouths of your opponents that they never said. That's the old 'straw man' tactic. It's the equivalent of 'hitting below the belt'.

What "the rest of the world drives" is irrelevant to me; I am concerned what works best for my conditions. And THAT is what this thread was supposed to be about - not why automatics are inherently inferior or are to be derided.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #120 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
wow, sounds like I jumped into a heated discussion.....

To be quite honest, although automatics are generally reliable, I prefer the simple reliability of a manual. And if you know how to drive a stick properly, and don't live in a city, a clutch will last for ages. Once I get a stick shift car rolling, I rarely even need the clutch.

And an automatic does need regular maintenance too. Just ask your owners manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Reply  Post New Thread