Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

VTEC Express - '96 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 57.72 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to thebrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacob View Post
chilimac, I will interested to see what becomes of this. I have a 2000 Honda Civic, so any changes you make will be relevent to my car.

I have played with covering the fake fog light things. What I have been thinking of doing is just filling em in with expanding foam, and then carve the foam flush. I could smooth it out with bondo, sand it, and paint it to make them look like they were never there. I would want to find some spray paint to match the color of my car (paint code G95P).

I like the idea of rear wheel shirts, but most of the home-made ones I have seen are just frigging ugly! I would
Probably more hassle than it's worth but you could try and find someone with a 96-98 who wants the 99-00 bumper, but this would also involve swapping fenders and hoods if I remember right. Plus the color match would again be a huge issue.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
driver sideview mirror delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrad View Post
You may want to ditch the driver side mirror and cover it with a block plate, I'd imagine there is a lot of overlap between that mirror and the rearview. This is assuming you always look over your shoulder before entering a lane. Or would this be a safety inspection issue in the state of Texas?

Another aero tip I picked up from Honda is creating panel overlap. For example the fender and front door you want the the beginning of the door to tuck into the end of the fender. According to them it creates continuity in airflow across the car, but mainly serves to reduce wind noise.

I'm afraid that if local police or Dept. of Public Safety officers pick up on that,it will be a ticket for sure.Can't wait to see OEM sideview cameras on new cars,then the gendarmes won't be looking at that part of the car so much.-------------------------- Nice piece on "shingleing".Guess Honda looked at Hoerner's work.Thanks for sharing that!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Philthy

craggin' wagon - '01 Subaru Outback
i've been driving around w/ my drivers side mirror folded in for weeks now and haven't had any issues including when a cop was right behind me at a stop light. i've just rigged up an adjustable inside side mirror that has nearly the same view range as my outside one. using that plus a convex review mirror i can see more behind and to the side of me than the 3 stock mirrors could. in KY, the law says you have to have a side mirror but it doesn't say that it has to be outside the vehicle.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

As far as panel overlap on the pseudo rear-wheel skirts... their crap.

I appreciate the advice on getting more data. I'll try and do that. I'm just a little insecure about driving around with cardboard taped to my car...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
my car has fish scaled panel all round... at first i thought it was a panel mismatch, i noticed it as the slightly different alignment made the pannels seem a slightly different color from some angles, which might indicate a repaired accident, but it turned out each leading panel ended a few mm higher than the next.

not easy to do yourself i think though... i'm looking for something like rubber window sealing strips i could clip on the edges of my hood so that the seams would be covered

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lunarhighway- not a bad idea!

i removed my cardboard wheel skirts. They did make an improvement, but i was too self conscious. I'm going to make some permanent ones out of some scrap plexiglass that my in-laws have. I'll feel a little better about that than my redneck looking job.

I should get the stuff in the next few weeks, I'll let you know how it goes then. If those skirts added 2%, then that would put me at a normal commute of 43mpg.

I've been folding in my mirrors lately, no cops have cared (like 20 have seen 'em).

After the wheel skirts, I'll do a rear bumper body pan kind of thing. If that gave 2% I'd be pushing 44mpg. I'd have to have a source of coroplast or plexiglass to do the bumper thing though.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Plexi-glass is now in the garage. This weekend, I'll be cutting it and figuring out how to mount the stuff...

Any suggestions?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2017 Honda Civic LX - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.92 mpg (US)
You can use a heat gun to soften and bend the plexiglass a little bit. Practice with some scrap pieces first. Also remove the plastic scratch protection stuff first, or it you will never get it off after using the heat gun as it sort of bakes it on.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero-mod, aerodynamics, honda accord