Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Problem with "Over The Air (OTA)" patching is the (obvious) open-door pathway for hackers and mal-contented people.
And a golden opportunity for the NSA: "Pry-us"...

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-14-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thats a good point. Rushing something to market and writing the software for it later. On the other hand the end user doesnt treat it the same as the designers and techs.

For example I worked tech support for an online service and we learned of a problem early on no one considered. Users would bookmark the home screen once logged into the service and use that book mark to return to their logo in our service. Well, if the computer was shared you could "pop in" to your spouse's account, child, etc.

We always logged on and logged off, but there was a rare breed who booked marked. Then when we fixed that problem, those who insisted on bookmarking to get to the site got an error vs being redirected to our home page to log on.

On another note I was witness to one of a few who helped to launched the investigation of rear brake issues for the early 90s k chevy trucks. We had an engineer plug stuff into the truck then ride along in the passenger seat and watch the braking usage of my friend. The rear brakes would help to lock up the rear end causing the need to shift to 4wd to get around. The engineer said the brakes werent designed to be used as heavy as they were in traffic. Salt treated roads further caused problems with the shoes and drums binding up.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pimp hand actuator

I'm curious about all of the lawsuits mentioned when I just can't seem to find any that have been decided in court.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
ABS failure, bah. I just stomp the brake pedal 16 times per second.

When my van puked its brain on a 1000+ mile family trip, I decided I hate EFI for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, if I want to avoid it that relegates me to older used cars. I don't like computers running stuff, not when so much of what actually happens in the car is as basic as fuel bursting into flame and gears engaging. That's Iron Age technology, and it's good enough for me.

I guess I'm a curmudgeon.

Dang it.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread