Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Here, in the UK, emergency vehicles still have to adhere to motoring law. They can go through red lights and intersections, but only after making sure it is safe to do so. Their drivers will be charged if they contribute to an accident.
Regarding other motorists getting out of the way of emergency vehicles, I often see them being held up by muppets. Not through any malice, but just inattentive drivers with their stereo blasting and their mirrors forgotten. And on a busy dual carriageway, one out of every hundred motorists could be one every 300 yards!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Don't pick one law out of a conflicting mix of crap and claim it's The Law, that it Must Be Obeyed and failure to obey it makes you a Bad Person and will justify All Sorts Of Penalties. The meatheads who made the "pull over in case someone wants to go faster than you" law are the same ones who made the road hard to pass on and posted the speed limits. When they figure out what they want, their laws might gain some legitimacy. Might. Making some laws a little less crazy doesn't validate the whole system overnight.

In the meantime, there's some traffic ahead of you, Sunshine. I don't care about your dog, your honor roll student or the fact that you're in a hurry. Oddly enough, I have things to do as well. Pass me (legally or illegally, I don't much care), leave sooner or use emergency lights. Either blue or red, I'll recognize that I have an obligation to get out of your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #43 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
I find if I drive at, or slightly above/below the speed limit, I collect cars behind me. If I drive 10-15 MPH under the speed limit, people usually pass me right away.

If there are no passing opportunities and I'm collecting cars, I'll increase my speed up to the posted limit. Or take a different route if possible.

I've learned how to get people to pass me. Most drivers won't pass right away. They need to be stuck behind me for a bit before deciding to pass. So I adjust my speed and let them catch up to me before entering a passing zone. I'm not sure if their hesitation to pass is because they assume I'm going to speed up, or the anger needs to build up to passing level. Either way, I've gotten good at making people pass me at the right time. I'm always looking for passing opportunities for the cars behind me. I might know when they're going to pass before they know.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gasoline Fumes For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-20-2017), freebeard (11-20-2017), Handsome Jack (11-20-2017), wdb (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Worse. He is claiming that some gun toting psychopath's right to murder you is more important than your right to live.
Nope. I'm saying actions have consequences. You go around deliberately irritating enough people, and there's a real chance that sooner or later you'll do it to someone who is a bit loosely wrapped, and already having a real bad day. And yes, I'll understand exactly why that person finally snapped, just like I understand why that momma bear attacked you.

Honestly, what is so effing hard about exercising your brain, and using ot to show a little consideration for other people? You might even find that it makes your life a bit better, too.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Honestly, it's been more of an issue with you than with anyone behind me. :

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-20-2017), Xist (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #46 (permalink)
Feather Foot

Snot rocket - '95 Toyota Tercel DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.77 mpg (US)

Gas Hog - '05 Ford E-250 Extended Cargo
90 day: 20.71 mpg (US)

White Lightning - '09 Toyota Prius base
90 day: 56.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I find if I drive at, or slightly above/below the speed limit, I collect cars behind me. If I drive 10-15 MPH under the speed limit, people usually pass me right away.

If there are no passing opportunities and I'm collecting cars, I'll increase my speed up to the posted limit. Or take a different route if possible.

I've learned how to get people to pass me. Most drivers won't pass right away. They need to be stuck behind me for a bit before deciding to pass. So I adjust my speed and let them catch up to me before entering a passing zone. I'm not sure if their hesitation to pass is because they assume I'm going to speed up, or the anger needs to build up to passing level. Either way, I've gotten good at making people pass me at the right time. I'm always looking for passing opportunities for the cars behind me. I might know when they're going to pass before they know.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Honestly, it's been more of an issue with you than with anyone behind me. :
As far as you know.

We've started having road rage incidents around here involving guns. To be honest it freaks me out. A lot. I've seen people do extraordinarily stupid things when blinded by rage, like the guy who jumped out of his car at a stoplight to kick at the door of the source of his ire, as his own vehicle rolled away backwards down an incline and crashed into another vehicle. So far the reported incidents have only involved waving guns, or shooting in the general vicinity of occupants, and not actually hitting anyone with a bullet. Small comfort.

It is as you like to say Duhmerica. (I agree.) Every time someone says "Obama" another thousand guns are sold. Wages for a large portion of the nation have been stagnant for 10 years or more. Political tensions are ridiculous. Do I really want to intentionally irk a few dozen people a day so I can save a gallon of gas? No I do not. YMMV.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Honestly the duhamerica or whatever you are using is offensive. No different than if you said dirty Mexicans, smelly French, drunk Irish, whatever. Use it if you want but realize decent folks of any nationality will hardly read anything you say once they hit an offensive slur in your posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Still no analysis of the "penalty" running just under 60 versus fifty? We can take that as confirmation of selfishness until such. . .

And state laws on obstruction are about a line of cars behind one. 5,6,7 of them, make room when safe to do so.

Diapermiler. . That's a good one. Fits.

The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
jamesqf (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Honestly the duhamerica or whatever you are using is offensive. No different than if you said dirty Mexicans, smelly French, drunk Irish, whatever. Use it if you want but realize decent folks of any nationality will hardly read anything you say once they hit an offensive slur in your posts.
Yes. We know they're children. Do they fall down and cry, too? Boys, not men.

You miss that Franks a generous guy with brush & bucket. He tars 'em all!

Reply  Post New Thread