Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Yah, I'm not a scooter fan. Shifting a motorcycle is trivial and no slippage and full control of gear selection is desirable. Didn't know it was a single cylinder, interesting. Well we should probably stop hijacking this ninja thread

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I found this site a few days ago. I'm in my 60s & have owned many MCs including both early & 08 EX250s. I perform service on them as well. Several years ago there was a whole group of us that got together & worked on bikes (shop nites). We had a lot of fun with it & did almost everything imaginable to the baby ninjas. We were not into hypermiling, but we did gear up our bikes for better mileage. I have a 15/38 gearing. most of the others have 39 on the rear. The best mileage any of us got was 78MPG, but as I stated before we were not riding for super high mileage. After reading threads, from this site, I am going to see what type of mileage I can achieve with my current gearing. Not to change the subject, I have done some things to the bike which I feel anyone would enjoy, mainly with suspension mods. Part of my background is working with professional motorcycle roadracing, and as you can imagine the importance of handling is at the very top. A baby ninja can easily handle like a dream with a small amount of money & a little time. This is the major downfall of the 250. For those interested in the formula I will be happy to share. Other issues, which I feel are important, are related to safety. The original Ninja 250 site has lots of great info & how to articles for working on bikes. Depending on what part of the country you live will determine which oils you might choose. Since hypermiling will require the least rolling resistance possible, I would choose a light weight fully synthetic oil for the engine. Synthetic oils are so good, I use nothing else, including my lawnmower, and worth every cent. The chain lubes, in a can, are very good & my favorites are Maxima & PJs, O-ring chains rob power and will last no longer than a well maintained regular chain. Regular non o-ring chains are just as strong (tensile strength) and can be had for a fraction of the price of an o-ring chain.

OK, so here's my spin on why I think the 07 or earlier 250 is a better candidate for hypermiling. First. The later bike was made 30 pounds heavier & as much as 1 1/2 HP lower than it's predecessor, for the sake of looks. It's much harder to do service on & the parts cost more, except for the sprockets, which are the same fitment. The front sprocket splines are the same, but the earlier sprocket has the holes pre-drilled & tapped for the keeper locking ring. (which should definitely be safety wired) Maybe that was the reason for the change. I personally know of 4 people, including myself, who had the front sprocket come loose while riding! NOT GOOD. It only makes sense to safety wire anything you don't want to fall off your bike, cause it will more than likely do it when you're on a long ride & you're in the middle of Timbuktu, or in the freezing rain. Happened to me once on a Ducati. After owning many a bike, I would damn near kill to have that 235MPG streamlined 125 that's on this site. Or the diesel powered Thunderstar sportbike, which never went into production. And last, but maybe not least, is I'm not that tall, so I like the bar end mirrors better than the stock ones. I have no problem seeing out of them. I would strongly recommend doing the daytime running light mod (DRLs). Makes you 300% more visible to oncoming traffic.

If I can help anybody with anything, don't hesitate to ask. Glad I found this site.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

l&s' Jag - '00 Jaguar S-Type SE
90 day: 25.86 mpg (US)

l&s' Vision - '82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
90 day: 59.92 mpg (US)

L&S' Greenaero Ninja 250 - '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F Ninja 250R
90 day: 97.24 mpg (US)

SilverAero Ninja 250 - '04 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja
90 day: 88.24 mpg (US)
Shorttimer, Welcome ! It will be great to hear your input and learn from your experience.

I'm pleased to share some recent news with all the 250 Ninja fans; my friend and fellow Vetter Challenge competitior Alan Smith recently broke the 100 MPG barrier during his trip across the USA enroute to the next Vettter Challenge ride at Mid-Ohio. He regularly broke 90mpg but high winds, high speeds,and mountains have presented some obstacles to getting optimal fuel economy numbers. Alan has done extensive streamling and has regeared his Ninja. Kudos to Alan.
all the best L&S

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
100mpg, 250, motorcycle, ninja, sprocket