Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblazer View Post
Why wouldn't Toyota put these cars out like this for people who wanted to plug in their Prius'?
They're going to. As for why they didn't in the first place, they didn't think enough people would be willing to pay that much more money for the extra batteries needed to make a PHEV practical. You have to realize that the auto makers are just making educated guesses. They don't have crystal balls that'll tell them how their customers are going to react to any new car, especially several years after it's introduced, when gas prices have more than doubled.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I will wait and see, but I do not buy the conspiracy debunking comment that claims that automakers do not make money from oil. Automakers are owned by stockholders, and so are the oil companies, and since it is true that the majority of the money in the world is controlled by a small percentage of the population, then I don't see it being hard to believe that the people who make money in the automotive world don't make money from oil too. If the automakers wanted to spend enough money they probably could make cars that get much higher FE, but it would loose the shareholders too much money in their oil business.

I would use the Prius as an example. In the real world 45MPG is what Prius owners who are not hypermilers are averaging. In the movie Who Killed The Electric Car they talked about a Prius that was modified to get 125MPG. This was done by relying on plug in power if I am not mistaken. Why wouldn't Toyota put these cars out like this for people who wanted to plug in their Prius'? The only thing I can see to answer this question is that automakers do not want to make ultra efficient cars because they make money from oil too, and making a car that is too efficient hurts oil profits.

The government is not interested in loosing the tax revenue that comes from the gas pump. Anybody know how much of that $4 gallon goes to taxes? If the government wanted to stimulate the economy, and reduce gas prices, they could reduce a big chunk of the cost of gas by eliminating the taxes. That is not likely to happen. It's all about money power and control, and I personally believe that people who are making the money have the power, and the control, and they are not interested in giving up the money power or control.

Call me a conspiracy kook if you want to, but if you follow the money then you might find clues that make you scratch your head and say "WTF?"

Later,

Allan Greenblazer
the plug in prius is on its way, R&D even for something as simple as this sounds takes a good deal of time.

and the federal gas tax is $0.18, hardly significiant. State taxes vary widely but I tihnk the worst state gets $0.30 a gallon
Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maybe he put on a rocket axle, powered by e85, and is only counting the gasoline burned by the engine.
For Sale: Turbonique Rocket Drag Axle Equipped 1964 Ford Galaxie 500
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:

The government is not interested in loosing the tax revenue that comes from the gas pump. Anybody know how much of that $4 gallon goes to taxes?
Later,

Allan Greenblazer
It varies by state, but the "windfall profit" is about the same to less than 1/2 the tax in some states.

Ouch! We didn't complain when the government was gouging us, but when the oil companies pile on.... ouch.

Maybe we should take a note and only vote for non-incumbents.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 AM   #55 (permalink)
Certified Freak

Greenblazer's Taco - '07 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab SR5 V6 4.0Liter
90 day: 24.54 mpg (US)
.18 for fed, and up to .30 for state is .48 per gallon not including city taxes which some cities charge. A vehicle that gets 10MPG needs 10000 gallons to go a 100,000 miles $4800.00 tax, and a vehicle that gets 50MPG needs 2000 gallons to go 100,000 Miles $960.00 in tax revenue. $4800.00 - $960.00 = $3840.00 in savings on taxes times how many millions of cars? Believe me the government loves Hummers, that's why small business owners were able to get tax discounts for buying them. The US government has a significant income from gas taxes, and they are not likely to be motivated to give up that money.

Now if a hybrid Aptera gets 300MPG that is 333.3333... gallons to go 100,000 miles $159.99 tax. $4800.00 - $159.99 = $4640.01 less tax over 100,000 miles. Times how many million cars.

We are talking about a huge amount of revenue that would be lost to our government.

$4.05 per gallon - .48 = $3.57 a gallon gas even less without the city tax. Who wouldn't rather pay $3.50ish than $4.05 ?

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

Please vote against the incumbants. These are the ones who are screwing up this country.

Last edited by Greenblazer; 07-08-2008 at 06:15 AM..
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That's for imported oil and is the "at the pump" portion. They are also paying taxes on operations profits which adds a lot more tax than that and guess who's wallet it eventually comes from?

Domestic oil also has an additional 18% royalty added for every barrel pumped out of the ground from Federal leased lands.

While I don't like to be pointedly political, please investigate the "fair tax" that Boortz promotes. I've checked his books out from the library and as written the fair tax WILL both increase revenue to the government (not a good thing) and will decrease our payment to the government (a good thing). But it will never pass without an avalanche of grass roots support as it takes away the real reason the tax codes is over 10,000 pages. Why so long? So politicians can punish enemies and reward friends. If it wasn't that way, the tax code would easily fit on a 3x5 card....

Back to automobiles ....
Old 07-09-2008, 12:46 AM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

what if he is also useing a variation of this hydrogen fuel/water converter. testing seems to show a large increase in efficiency and power. I plan on trying to build one of these modules myself to try it out.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

oh yeah I definately dont have the manual already if no one wants to have a copy. so dont email me if you want the PDF because I DO NOT have it. (cough)
Old 07-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

<Well it looks like Doug Pelmear may get the x prize. He has a 400 hp 500lft lb of torque, 110mpg v8 mustang>

Questions:
Why someone telling other people that he has a 110Mpg/400HP car? What is he selling?

Is he the same guy that on your tube telling people that HHO gas car that 1 litre water last for 60 miles?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Crappy Gas Pipe - '84 Mercedes 300D Turbo 230k Miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
My Jeep can get 89 MPG. I saw it on my Scangauge myself! For the low low price of 6 payments of $199.95 I'll let you on the one secret that the oil companies don't want you to know!
I know how you did it, you are going down a hill.

Reply  Post New Thread