Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcosine View Post
What advice would you give to someone that has a stock 91 CRX HF sitting in the driveway to be modded? What order would you do the mods? Do you think the engine would lug with 165/80R15 tires?
The order of doing the mods would depend on your finances and building skills. The boat tail produced the single biggest mileage improvement, followed by under panelling, wheel well skirts, nosepiece with adjustable grill block, double side skirts, internal side mirrors, internal antenna, gap sealing. Difficulty of construction from easiest to hardest is: gap sealing, internal antena, double side skirts, internal side mirrors, rear wheel well skirts, front wheel well skirts, nose piece, under panelling, boattail.

Don't know enough about your car to have an opinion about lugging with those tires, but it shouldn't be a problem on flat roads, you just might just have to drop into 4th a little sooner than usual when starting up a hill..

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Maybe you should consider donating it to Bob Lutz...
I didn't know Bob Putz was still around - thats an interesting interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putz
"Prior to CAFE, American quality was as good as any anywhere in the world," he asserted. "We were still selling a decent quantity of American cars in Europe because Europeans considered a Buick or a Chevrolet or a Ford to be superior in reliability to European products, which they were.
Maybe he's thinking of a different Europe to the one I have lived in for 40+ years but I don't ever remember streets full of Chevrolets and Buicks ever.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Maybe he's thinking of a different Europe to the one I have lived in for 40+ years but I don't ever remember streets full of Chevrolets and Buicks ever.
They were probably all sold to diplomats and American servicemen in Belgium and West Germany. Much easier to sell LHD cars on the continent than in Britain.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
1950's.
Quite a few of the cars back then were big American cars, as the industry here was just about recovering from WW2.

My dad started his business with a Chevy truck with an oversized gasoline engine - replaced with a Bedford later in the 60s

Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
1950's.
Quite a few of the cars back then were big American cars, as the industry here was just about recovering from WW2.

My dad started his business with a Chevy truck with an oversized gasoline engine - replaced with a Bedford later in the 60s
Are you sure it wasn't ex-army ? There was quite a bit of excess stock available just then, especially down your way I suspect

Back on topic - the Aerocivic is a top car though - who here hasn't looked at it, and then their own car and just wondered. Unless I have missed the point this is a superb example of what can be done by taking one aspect of efficiency (Aero) to an extreme. Add in a Lupo 3L engine and 100 would be more like a 'bad tank' - maybe, but that defeats the $400 budget aspect which is still amazing.