Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the late response,but,yeah,the wheelbarrow has some great form.Even if you sectioned one down the center to create the two sides,and then joined in something in the center to complete.
Wheelbarrows don't have much for fineness ratio. You could build something like this on your tonneau.

1/4" plywood ribs—>twice the stringers—>burlap stapled cover—>Plastidip!

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-18-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Wow, I just goggled some wheelbarrows and they do not look like I was imagining. I think it would be possible to find one that fit the bill, but it might take some searching.

Also, the boat tail you show would be a lot of work- to be honest, I'm kind of surprised you actually started building it after all this time! Anyway, now that I have the tonneau and air dam I think I'll be set on the aero front for a while; the truck's mechanicals want some attention!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Quote:
Also, the boat tail you show would be a lot of work- to be honest, I'm kind of surprised you actually started building it after all this time!
That was about a year ago, things move slowly with me. Some people could knock out a 1/2 birdcage to fit on your tonneau in a day and paint it the next. (hint: use 3/4" for the ribs. It's hard to staple into a 1/4" edge. And rabbet the ribs to flush out the stringers).

It was an experiment to see how the attachment line across the roof sorts out. The rope is at max camber. The sides follow the driprail. What keeps it from happening is wanting to not compromise the engine cooling. I should at least add a temp gauge, what I have now is a hand-held.

Today I'm working on a dome that will fit over my Beetle and pack down into a 36" hexagon so I can carry it inside.

Reply  Post New Thread