Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
1965 Ford F100 Aero cap? Photoshop inside...

Modding the Probe and reading about other success stories here has made me really want to improve my truck's 14-15mpg. Just driving it to car shows and whatnot isn't bad but last summer I daily drove it for two months while working on my Rabbit so the gas costs got painful for this college student.

Anyway, I'm just going to post up some ideas to see what you all think. It would be cool to make this over winter break so it'll hit the ground running next spring The cap would probably be made of painted plywood and hinged at the top for easy access. You can see the panel gaps in the 3/4 view. It's got to still be functional so it'll probably have to slot into the stake pockets for easy removal.

Of course the truck would get a belly pan and very small air dam as well, because honestly the twin I beam and underbody are a complete aero mess!

Anyway, 2 minute Photoshops...

Aero Cap? by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

Perhaps a curved top to emulate Hucho's template?

Would it be good to taper in plan view too, or will the edges of the box negate this? Could I make a window in it? Out of what, plexi?

What kind of gains have others seen with aero caps?

PS- for those who are wondering it's a 352 V8 with 3 on the tree. Hardly economical.

Last edited by Sven7; 11-18-2011 at 01:19 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
101Volts (05-27-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
I like the idea of doing something retro and period correct, which your font certainly seems to conjure.

Curving the rear corners so it ends up being more of an arch at the little end does seem to be the trend, and would flatter the rest of your curves.

I think rear vision is surrendered unless you are going plexi-glass roof with a Prius type rear mini window.

Have you thought of making this an aero camper? I have not seen this done yet. I don't mean "pop-up" style, I have seen that. I'm thinking more like the green template humping the roof and then tapering back.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 11-18-2011 at 09:59 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
101Volts (05-27-2016)
Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The first two pics -- side view -- look like Air Force service vehicles. Or, a local gas station light-duty wrecker (low boom). Both cool. Let the letter type" match the Ford lettering "type" is ideal, nearly as you have it. The curved piece is almost more a 1930's or 40's look. Maybe "better", but outside of the period appeal. I vote the first pair. Either would be outstanding!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Sweet. The template is your friend aero wise but in the case of this truck a curved shell can work nicely with classic wheel skirts. The duck tail and lettering also look nice. And yes, plan taper too - definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Have you thought of making this an aero camper? I have not seen this done yet. I don't mean "pop-up" style, I have seen that. I'm thinking more like the green template humping the roof and then tapering back.

Agreed! But align the bottom of the template at ground level and enlarge. The gentler roof line will improve head room for interior comfort. Longer it can rest on the tailgate too.
101Volts (05-27-2016)
Old 11-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I like the idea of doing something retro and period correct, which your font certainly seems to conjure.

Curving the rear corners so it ends up being more of an arch at the little end does seem to be the trend, and would flatter the rest of your curves.

I think rear vision is surrendered unless you are going plexi-glass roof with a Prius type rear mini window.

Retro was not the intent, but it did work out that way. I've been wanting to do a topper for awhile but haven't had the time/money to develop some fiberglass skills. (No one sells toppers for these)

The vision is a legitimate concern so it will have to be addressed. Perhaps some thin-ish acrylic? I could layer them one over another like a lobster shell so water and air don't get caught up in the gaps.

I have thought a little about making some usable space in the bed but it really comes down to the fact that I'd never use it. However, one of my life goals (hopefully implemented in the next 5 years) is to travel the US or perhaps the continent in a VW T2 or T3 camper. This of course would need a boat tail! But seriously with the long distance driving it could mean hundreds of dollars of savings.

Cliffs: Not on this vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The first two pics -- side view -- look like Air Force service vehicles. Or, a local gas station light-duty wrecker (low boom). Both cool. Let the letter type" match the Ford lettering "type" is ideal, nearly as you have it. The curved piece is almost more a 1930's or 40's look. Maybe "better", but outside of the period appeal. I vote the first pair. Either would be outstanding!
A Flickr contact said they look like airport vehicles! Haha, I don't know why this truck and not the billion others with aero toppers?

There really isn't a script font anywhere on the truck save for the Ford logo on the steering wheel so I'll probably just make up something 60's-ish like I did here. (Yes, it's hand lettered )

One of my contacts also said the curved top reminded him of this White streamliner:

1937 White Model 700 Streamline Tanker Truck by aldenjewell, on Flickr

I still think it's more period correct than a boxy triangle but who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob
Sweet. The template is your friend aero wise but in the case of this truck a curved shell can work nicely with classic wheel skirts. The duck tail and lettering also look nice. And yes, plan taper too - definitely!
Wheel skirts? Did they even make them for these?

Plan taper, got it!

Next step: 3D mockup! (Not for awhile though- finals loom)

1966 Ford F-100-750 Conventional Cab Dimensions by Custom_Cab, on Flickr
Old 11-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I think this is how the overlay needs to be done:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 11-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

^^That's the way I did it. If you're talking to Kachi, he was trying to make a high top camper.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
plan-taper

Quote:
Modding the Probe and reading about other success stories here has made me really want to improve my truck's 14-15mpg. Just driving it to car shows and whatnot isn't bad but last summer I daily drove it for two months while working on my Rabbit so the gas costs got painful for this college student.

Anyway, I'm just going to post up some ideas to see what you all think. It would be cool to make this over winter break so it'll hit the ground running next spring The cap would probably be made of painted plywood and hinged at the top for easy access. You can see the panel gaps in the 3/4 view. It's got to still be functional so it'll probably have to slot into the stake pockets for easy removal.

Of course the truck would get a belly pan and very small air dam as well, because honestly the twin I beam and underbody are a complete aero mess!

Anyway, 2 minute Photoshops...

Would it be good to taper in plan view too, or will the edges of the box negate this? Could I make a window in it? Out of what, plexi?

What kind of gains have others seen with aero caps?

PS- for those who are wondering it's a 352 V8 with 3 on the tree. Hardly economical.
Both the original Dodge/T-100 aeroshell and Poco-Loco which serves me today have plan-taper and provide a 13% mpg savings versus 10% for the straight-sided Ford/Texas Tech aeroshell.
It's a more challenging fabrication but will pay the biggest dividend at the pump if your willing to take it on.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thank you for commenting, Phil! I have done a few drawings and imagine the side to side support beams to have radii on the outside edges which get larger as they go back. This could include plan view tapering but I'd like it to go to all edges for storage and looks reasons. The problem then would be what to use for skin.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gen II Prianista

Quote:
Damn your eyes, Sven7 (jk )
You've ruined my whole weekend.
Running a google search on this dreamboat turned up these strange beauties,
which I'm going to have to research more fully:

1938 Diamond T Seagram's custom van

1937 Heintz Comet

Custom bodied Alfa Romeo

NASA '37 Chevy? custom

1933 Holland Coach Craft van

Hungerford Rocket car, the "Shirley Lois Moon Girl"

Pribil Housecar

REO Speed Tanker

All from various pages of streamliners and teardroppers | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rokeby For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-12-2013), Cd (11-19-2011), KamperBob (11-20-2011), Sven7 (11-19-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread