Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bolt on fuel saving device and mechanical cruise control (throttle stop w/ override)

Please add this to the list as it cuts fuel consumption by 20%
I am the designer and manufacturer of this fuel saving device, it is very simple to install and adds up to 100 miles per tank depending on the vehicle. It is also a simple mechanical cruise control which can be used in town as its fully automatic and always activated.

See it in action here

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,958 Times in 3,603 Posts
Hi Maco -

No need to spam multiple threads in the forum. I'm deleting your other posts, and have moved your topic to this dedicated thread.

EDIT: website link...

http://fuelsavingdevice.webs.com/

Let the discussion begin.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh OK cool thanks for your help
Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

I once drove an 80's Datsun 280z that had a similar set-up from the factory: a "dual spring" accelerator. But I think it was intended more as a "power mode" feature. You had to push fairly hard on the pedal when the 2nd spring came into play.

EcoModder
Old 10-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 31.19 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
You linked the video, but not your site, which is weird.

Quote:
It reduces your fuel bill by ± 20%
I really think that you wanted to say "It reduces your fuel bill by ≥ 20%." Also, your video states at 1:12 "The vehicle in the video is a diesel Hyundai H100 truck, initial range was 450km per tank now the range is 550km per tank. That is a 122% improvement."

550 / 450 = 122%. However, 100% is the baseline, so it is a 22% improvement, which is more or less what you state elsewhere.

Effectively, you state that this forces the driver to maintain the speed limit while they would use 20% more fuel speeding. Here is a MPH vs. MPG chart:

Prius v Versus Ford C-Max Hybrid: Comparing Real-World Fuel Economy

According to that chart, slowing from 70 MPH to 65 increases fuel economy by 13% and dropping from 70 to 60 improves MPG by 24%, so driving 10% slower results in ≈ 20% improvement.

Quote:
Research by one of the major car manufacturers has shown that driver behaviour influences fuel usage by up to 30%.
Guys?

So, this is a rev limiter? I remember a suggestion on here about installing a block under the gas pedal in the wife's car. Yes, not speeding saves money, but I believe the common consensus on these forums is that accelerating at a greater percentage of Wide Open Throttle uses less fuel than accelerating slower, and then you spend a longer time at your driving speed.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
If I understand this correctly, the device modifies pedal travel? Is this more of a nanny device that helps unskilled/ inattentive drivers?

My sister-in-laws parents had a buick lesabre with a peice of 3/4 plywood under the pedal. I didn't find out about it until I wqs merging into traffic during rush hour, I about got creamed!!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I once drove an 80's Datsun 280z that had a similar set-up from the factory: a "dual spring" accelerator. But I think it was intended more as a "power mode" feature. You had to push fairly hard on the pedal when the 2nd spring came into play.
Hi I tried that in my first few attempts, it was not accurate and I destroyed the accelerator cable
Old 10-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Is this more of a nanny device that helps unskilled/ inattentive drivers?
I would say so - like the previously mentioned block of wood, but with a failsafe for power when you need it.

Maco - you will discover that the majority of the forum members here are extremely attentive in their driving habits.

Still, on a long drive on mostly flat roads, I could see the attraction of something like this. (Speaking as someone who doesn't have cruise control.)

EcoModder
Old 10-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
You linked the video, but not your site, which is weird.
Hi the first 5 posts dont allow websites in this forum so I couldnt add the website sorry about that its I am only on post 4 - lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I really think that you wanted to say "It reduces your fuel bill by ≥ 20%."
In the lab test the Engineer wrote that driver behavior affects fuel consumption by up to 30% so it has potential to go to 30% but I dont want to claim any more than what I got from the Accredited Lab test but on my own vehicles I have managed to get 25%.

With regards to speeding the vehicle in the video is in km/h and the speed limit in my country is 120 km/h so we were actually 10 km/h under the posted speed, the drivers in my country get upset if you hold them up, most of them cruise at 140 km/h + in order to have reasonable acceleration there are limits as to how slow you can set the final speed if set to say 80 km/h the acceleration is so slow you would have people hooting at you - you can however over ride the device by just pushing through the mechanism and accelerate at a reasonable pace and then lift off re arm and then cruise at 80km/h that would work but most of the savings are done during the acceleration component. Wind resistance is not linear so the slower you drive the better for sure but here I am surrounded by maniacs : )

Full throttle is hard to see in that video actually that accelerator in that vehicle is not a good example, but its a diesel on a petrol car its much more distinctive and more easily identified when giving an example. Just to be clear full throttle can be implemented at any time (unlike a block of wood) when you lift off completely the mechanism rearms its self automatically this is better illustrated on the home page of our website just press play on the photo. I have added the link to the lab test, the test center is a National Test Center used by Mercedes Benz and BMW for emissions testing. So I do have hard proof of the 20% claim. Its a fun thing to have on your car it does a lot more than just save fuel.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
If I understand this correctly, the device modifies pedal travel? Is this more of a nanny device that helps unskilled/ inattentive drivers?

My sister-in-laws parents had a buick lesabre with a peice of 3/4 plywood under the pedal. I didn't find out about it until I wqs merging into traffic during rush hour, I about got creamed!!
Yes it is described in the patent as a "Drivers Aid" and for long haul truck drivers its an absolute pleasure to use as you can rest your foot on the accelerator. Cruise controls add fuel to maintain speed up hills this device does not you just have to change down.

I did not release this product immediately the lab tests were done over 10 years ago. I have had them on my cars ever since, I was just making sure that the design is safe, part of my job is as a safety officer on the mines during equipment maintenance and installation so I am a bit obsessive when it comes to making sure no one gets hurt. I am a mechanical machine designer by trade and I have been working for companies that do Mining R&D for the past 30 years.

The reason why the AK 47 is such a good assault rifle is because it has massive clearances between the moving parts so dust and grit doesn't jam it. I drew on that in this design the shaft is 8mm and the hole in the plate is 12mm so you could pour sand over it and it wont jam, you will always be able to have full throttle when ever you need it - so it is safe to use.
All the rubbing surfaces, the main plate and the 8mm rod are made of stainless steel so it should last for at least 20 years and the rod can be screwed out and replaced as its part of the adjustment mechanism to set the speed. My one on my car was just polished in that area and that was after about 5 years.

Reply  Post New Thread