Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Check out instructables.com and use the search for a DIY vacuum forming setup (using the oven and a vacuum cleaner.)

You can use that to make the plugs for the backs of your wheels, in any color you want, including clear (not a good choice, for the brake dust.) The plugs aren't "THE ANSWER", so to speak, but they prevent cross flow through the wheels, which is fairly turbulent. If you use the plugs, be careful about long periods of heavy braking, or several sudden brake lunges... they may overheat.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I made a sunroof delete plug for $65 a few years ago. I don't think it is an absolute requirement to vacuum bag the fiberglass. On this one I laid a piece of shrinkwrap over the sunroof glass and applied 3-4 layers of the thick woven mat. Just be sure to rotate the mat orientation with each layer for strength.You'll need to make some tabs to hold the new panel in, which may require some welding. The final product needed sanding on mine, but after finish work and paint, this is what I wound up with:

Use an ice cube to smooth the silicone seal. Mine looked rough because I screwed the first seal up doing it the wrong way and had to do 2 plies.

Boy did it make a difference in handling though. Remove 37 lbs off the highest point of the car and see what happens.

This integra weighed in at 2320 with a nearly stock appearance.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkee View Post
I made a sunroof delete plug for $65 a few years ago. I don't think it is an absolute requirement to vacuum bag the fiberglass. On this one I laid a piece of shrinkwrap over the sunroof glass and applied 3-4 layers of the thick woven mat. Just be sure to rotate the mat orientation with each layer for strength.You'll need to make some tabs to hold the new panel in, which may require some welding. The final product needed sanding on mine, but after finish work and paint, this is what I wound up with:

Use an ice cube to smooth the silicone seal. Mine looked rough because I screwed the first seal up doing it the wrong way and had to do 2 plies.

Boy did it make a difference in handling though. Remove 37 lbs off the highest point of the car and see what happens.

This integra weighed in at 2320 with a nearly stock appearance.
Ice cubes are easy, but you can slick silicone with your finger and water, if you want it concave like it should be. Silicone sticks better if you prep painted surfaces with white vinegar. I worked as a union bricklayer, so I picked up on caulking.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkee View Post
Imagine that with a solar panel instead. That would be sweeeeet. Slap in a deep (rather, lug in) cycle battery, throw out your alternator and you'll be good to go!

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
honda civic ex experiment