Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
High speed P&G with good aero and 55 psi

High speed P&G with good aerodynamics and 55 psi.

I've finally gotten the car to the point where I can P&G (sometimes) on the highway, as long as I work with the hills. There's real potential in increasing the roll-ability of your car. Once you defeat a certain amount of drag and rolling resistance etc., you can P&G and the benefits become even more pronounced.

These mods combined got me here: Full belly pan, low rolling resistance tires at 55 psi (cold), flat wheel covers. The wheel covers were the "last straw".

My 55 mile commute requires driving at fairly normal highway speeds. Until this week that meant little pulse and glide on the highway - speed would just deteriorate too fast in most cases.

Just a word to the wise, hopefully.

Here's a pic of my new wheel cover. Quite flat. Perforated aluminum sheet over a coroplast stiffener, glued together with silicone glue.

There's some detail on the wheel covers and especially the fasteners in this thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...orn-14306.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
True. This is what I do any time I am stuck on a freeway stretch now. Seems to work very well for me. I keep the engine on through most of the routine, only occasionally shutting down. Aero is a key, and these new wheel covers of yours are interesting. The holes are for brake cooling? I guess because of the angel--parallel to air flow--they won't produce their own drag, yes?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
... Aero is a key, and these new wheel covers of yours are interesting. The holes are for brake cooling? I guess because of the angel--parallel to air flow--they won't produce their own drag, yes?

Thanks, Cali.
My theory is that the perforated panels work pretty much like solid ones when rolling. I hope they do help with brake cooling, but I really have no idea whether they really do.

The wheel covers are very light weight. They were only 5 oz each (about 140 g) before adding the fasteners.

Reply  Post New Thread