Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
that looks great.

i gotta leave as much OE as possible since this car is what my daughter will learn to drive with.
i fold the side mirrors in. when folded-in they don't have "non aero gap" that other mirrors may have. ... off i go.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
I drove a bus for too many years to be comfortable without mirrors. There's no way to safely operate a bus without mirrors - unless you have video. The buses I drove with video had much better visibility than mirrors, especially in low light conditions.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

o2 sensor

Well my o2 engine check light has been on for probably 100,000 miles. I have been getting around thirty three mpg. Maybe this being a five speed manual I should b able to get 38 mpg? why is this safety issue?

Mirrors was thinking just removing then adding two internal mirrors which is legal in illinois...just need rear view mirror n b able to see two hundred feet back. Altho not sure how much harassment from police I'd get. Probably depends on main reason for me getting pulled over.

Haven't seen a very polished solution for wheel covers yet but I have not read the whole internet yet either. ;_

I guess a lot of these aren't too economical. But maybe good for environment and more inexpensive hobby.

254,000 miles on prizm 746,000 left to go.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
It is not legal to have no externally mounted mirrors according to the FMVSS. (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). Your state may not enforce those rules, but they aren't just suggestions, either. There is no way you can maintain the (ridiculous, unnecessary) field of view required by federal law with an internally mounted mirror on the sides.

Nobody said the O2 was a safety issue, I said to fix safety issues before worrying about your fuel economy.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

christ ur right. Sorry bout that. On my crackberry n some days I can't read.
Ok...federal vs. State? There r no federal cops.

When I was in af in ohio they had strict rules on window tinting. Buddy had super dark tint. He got Texas plates instead of Ohio since tinting was legal in tx at time.

Guess police can always ticket me for speeding n throw in fix it. don't know but seems like if I am licensed in illinois just have to b legal in illinois. If I am driving in CA can't ticket me for different exhaust even tho legal in IL or could b if I would fix my o2 .

Probably just comes down to....without mirrors I would b more likely to get pulled out of crowd since normally I go five to nine over.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
christ ur right. Sorry bout that. On my crackberry n some days I can't read.
Ok...federal vs. State? There r no federal cops.

When I was in af in ohio they had strict rules on window tinting. Buddy had super dark tint. He got Texas plates instead of Ohio since tinting was legal in tx at time.

Guess police can always ticket me for speeding n throw in fix it. don't know but seems like if I am licensed in illinois just have to b legal in illinois. If I am driving in CA can't ticket me for different exhaust even tho legal in IL or could b if I would fix my o2 .

Probably just comes down to....without mirrors I would b more likely to get pulled out of crowd since normally I go five to nine over.
To be honest, you can be ticketed in any area you're driving for violating a law in that area.

Your plate doesn't determine jurisdiction. IOW - just because his tint was legal in the state of registration, doesn't mean that he couldn't be ticketed for it in the area that he's operating.

The law says that ignorance is not an excuse, FYI.

Chances are, they let him go on the tint because, contrary to popular belief, cops don't (usually) chase "out of towners" around. It's counter-productive.

The point about the FMVSS is that it does exist, and vehicles are governed by federal law, not state laws. That's not saying that you can't get away with no side mirror, just saying that it's still illegal federally, even if not in your state. "State government may impose laws above and beyond those federal regulations in question, but may not impose any ruling which supersedes federal rulings."

I believe there are only a few places that don't follow, one being Texas, and any other state (Oklahoma, recently) who has declared sovereignty from the Federal Directives. (That doesn't mean that Federal Law doesn't have jurisdiction there, but it does mean that the state can/will make rulings superseding those federal rulings.)

Old 12-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Christ I'm from illinois! most of our governors don't believe in following ne laws. Y should I

I do appreciate the info on the federal standards. I will have to go do a little reading. I would think I would have read the whole internet by now.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

The FMVSS isn't available on the 'nets, that I've found. You should be able to find abstracts at your local DMV or library, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
tennis4789 (12-19-2009)
Old 12-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Federal mirror law:

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Rearview Mirrors

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title49...36.2.7.20.html

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title49...1.2.3.36.2.7.7

Last edited by thatguitarguy; 12-19-2009 at 08:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to thatguitarguy For This Useful Post:
tennis4789 (12-19-2009)
Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
Christ I'm from illinois! most of our governors don't believe in following ne laws.
lol... what about ex-govs... like say, ex-govs that just got another job a year ago...

Reply  Post New Thread