Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
I had to do a google search to check this out. Now that's an Ecomod, just add DIESEL!

I'm impressed,
Dave

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dr. Jekyl - '09 Mini John Cooper Works
90 day: 47.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Civic Duty View Post
That Rocks, 6sp, any ecomodds?

Thanks,
Dave
Yes, Dave. It's a 6 speed. Only ecomods so far are weight reduction items. Got lighter weight wheels and tires (-30 lbs.), removed rear seat (-30 lbs), Braille battery (-13 lbs.). As previously mentioned, I'm waiting on vortex generators. Probably will do the rear under tray diffuser, side skirts and deeper front air dam. Hope to get rear wheels enclosed also.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsightfulRay View Post
Dave, I have a 2009 Mini Cooper S JCW model. It gives me the best of both worlds. I can easily get 46-48 mpg on a steady 55 mph highway jaunt. I typically average 45mpg+ per tank since 90% of my driving is interstate. When my "Mr. Hyde" gets the better of me I can occasionally blast down an on-ramp because it has 220 hp in a 2750 lb. car and I can STILL net that 45 mpg figure per tank. Really enjoying this website and all the great ideas.
I am so jealous - great mpg but still fast and handles like a slot car... I'd love to have a JCW Clubman for my DD, but that $30k+ price is too big a pill to swallow. I figure it would take me about 9 years to offset the price difference from my MS3.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dr. Jekyl - '09 Mini John Cooper Works
90 day: 47.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifunego View Post
I am so jealous - great mpg but still fast and handles like a slot car... I'd love to have a JCW Clubman for my DD, but that $30k+ price is too big a pill to swallow. I figure it would take me about 9 years to offset the price difference from my MS3.
Got mine for $21K. It was used with 20K miles on the clock. Had been saving the nickels and dimes for a good long time to get it. Less than Prius mpg but a whole lot more fun.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsightfulRay View Post
Yes, Dave. It's a 6 speed. Only ecomods so far are weight reduction items. Got lighter weight wheels and tires (-30 lbs.), removed rear seat (-30 lbs), Braille battery (-13 lbs.). As previously mentioned, I'm waiting on vortex generators. Probably will do the rear under tray diffuser, side skirts and deeper front air dam. Hope to get rear wheels enclosed also.
I just checked out the airtab's, please put up some pix after you have them on your JCW! What a car!

Dave
Old 12-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have to say, I am impressed.

Impressed at how ridiculously stupid this thread is.

Firstly, why would you buy a mini cooper s, a car with a SUPERCHARGER that will barely do anything over 30mpg if you were that obsessed about mpg? Why didnt you just buy a diesel that can do over 60mpg with no bull**** strapped to it, or even just a normal petrol? Even a turbo petrol is a better option, supercharged enginers are the worst form for MPG...

Then the mods, what the absolute **** have you done? You added loads of **** that just ruined the car and you completely missed the BEST forms of increasing your MPG!

Rotational mass has around 4 times the effect of stationary mass, taking 5kg off each wheel results in taking 80kg out of the car, so rather than foolishly blocking off the grills to starve your car of air, why havent you changed the wheels to lightweight options? Why havent you changed the tyres to less resistive ones? Why havent you reduced the weight of the brakes, driveshafts or pulleys? Why havent you clayed and waxed the car to make it more streamlined and therefore slip easier through the air? I find it so funny that you have done some stupid **** to the car rather than address the biggest factors on the MPG.

And heres the biggest gem of the thread... You removed the spoiler because the car will rarely do over 100mph, then admitted to rarely using the highway. But you then spend all your time doing aerodynamic **** when they wont even have an affect because you will never be going fast enough to create any air resistance of any importance.................. Do you know nothing from motorsport? It is very general knowledge that aerodynamics have almost no affect under 100mph, so all the **** you have done wont change anything while you are doing stop/start city driving, other than make you look like a fool.

Even more unbelievable is the amount of support you got, Im amazed.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #77 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart89 View Post
I have to say, I am impressed....

Impressed at how ridiculously stupid this thread is.

<CARP_REMOVED>

Even more unbelievable is the amount of support you got, Im amazed.
I'm amazed you signed up just to post that as your first post.

Amazing.

Amazingly bad, rude and wrong.

Well done sir.
Cd (12-04-2011), some_other_dave (12-05-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #78 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
[QUOTE=Stuart89;273034]
Why havent you clayed and waxed the car to make it more streamlined and therefore slip easier through the air?

"Claying" a car and waxing it till your fingers bleed does NOTHING at normal freeway speeds.

( unless you just ran an off road race and have clods of mud on the vehicle. )

"It is very general knowledge that aerodynamics have almost no affect under 100mph,"

Do you have a source for that ?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart89 View Post
It is very general knowledge that aerodynamics have almost no affect under 100mph
Looks like your share of general knowledge is either hugely flawed or blatantly absent.

Aerodynamics start playing a serious role well under 100mph.
While it also depends on the means of propulsion and the kind of vehicle - ask any biker - somewhere around 45mph, aerodynamic changes on cars are getting noticeable.
The difference between 60 and 70 mph is immediately obvious on the instant fuel consumption display.

If you aren't being fuel conscious, you ain't racing .

Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #80 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Aside from the waxing and the 100mph, I'd say he's right.

Reply  Post New Thread