Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Post 8 shows a pic of the block, I removed the grill and used caulk to stick coroplast to the inside of it for a "stealth" block. A small election sign with the grill diagonal was all that was needed in materials. Make sure to paint the material before attaching the 2 pieces. My sign was blue and yellow and from different angles you can still see it because I painted everything afterward lol.

I have not yet begun to block the lower but I am pretty sure that I can block the 2 outer sections and still get plenty of cooling using just the middle for air. When I do, I will do it from the back with black painted coroplast zip-tied to the grill. Other concerns are the fog lights, they are just open in the rear and probably causing problems for me. Thinking about using a clear film to cover the whole area and if I get enough, maybe do the lower grill that way too.
Do you have a smartphone? The $7 ELM 327 bluetooth adapters work great for monitoring temps. On my 2011, it runs 2-3C cooler with the two outermost lower grilles blocked. The only thing I can think is the air flows through it faster?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
The wagon is the nicest-looking bodystyle for the Focus, too bad it was never available in my country. Gotta tell you that I like wagons more than sedans, and their rear hatch is way more practical to arrange the load or luggage than the tight trunk lid of a sedan. Regarding aerodynamics, eventually a sedan might fare a little better, but not by far.

As far as gearing goes, it really bothers me that close-ratio is so prevalent in manual transmissions while it implies more compromises to performance and fuel-efficiency than a wide-ratio
Agree 100% on the wagon. I, for the life of me, can't understand why the sedan was SO much more popular here in the states. A good hatch is infinitely more usable than a tiny little trunk lid. My little ZX3 carried everything from a weeks worth of groceries to a small dirtbike (try THAT with a sedan! ).
What REALLY befuddles me is that even though small hatches/wagons still aren't hot sellers here; small SUV's sell like hotcakes (which are nothing more than tall hatches!)

As far as the gearing, my Focus had decently spaced ratios (fairly wide) but 1st gear was WAY too 'short' (presumably to allow ham-fisted newbies to take off without stalling) and the overall final drive was WAY too short. That car could have ran 2000rpm at 60mph with ease but instead the factory gearing had it just a tick under 2500; with no way to regear it being available.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Main reason I wanted the wagon was for easier truck access. My Saturn had an OK trunk opening and I'm noticing cars getting smaller, and weirder shaped, trunks than in the past. I was tired of digging under my rear shelf to get to my tools so I started looking for a wagon lol.

Americans just don't like wagons. Even though my car probably has MORE space and legroom than a CRV or Rav4, they still buy the SUV because "I feel better sitting up higher". First off, calling one of those CARS an SUV is an abomination; old Broncos, Suburbans and Jeeps are SUVs, yours is a tall car lol. Secondly, why do people want to sit so high? I'd rather have my butt scraping the ground and feel the car NOT roll in a turn, I still feel like I sit too high in the Focus because I'm way higher than I was in my Saturn.

Miller: I'm running a scangaugeII so no need for the phone app. Plus I have an iPhone and Steve Jobs didn't like consumers using anything that wasn't made by him With the upper block I run about 180@60mph. If I drive 70, it'll hold 190 pretty well. I'm surprised at the swing that occurs while climbing a hill; I've seen it up to 200 going up a bridge. Not sure but I think my thermostat is "lazy" and since I'm not sure my fans are working 100% right now, I'm apprehensive to do much more blocking....plus, its cold outside! lol

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 AM   #44 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Americans just don't like wagons.
No, they like. But you know, marketing has been used to push them towards "light trucks" because they were not so affected by EPA and CAFE.

Quote:
Even though my car probably has MORE space and legroom than a CRV or Rav4, they still buy the SUV because "I feel better sitting up higher". First off, calling one of those CARS an SUV is an abomination; old Broncos, Suburbans and Jeeps are SUVs, yours is a tall car lol.
I usually call them "soft-roaders", or "glorified minivans", altough they're not so practical as a real minivan
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Cd (02-10-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 02:39 AM   #45 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Main reason I wanted the wagon was for easier truck access. My Saturn had an OK trunk opening and I'm noticing cars getting smaller, and weirder shaped, trunks than in the past. I was tired of digging under my rear shelf to get to my tools so I started looking for a wagon lol.

Americans just don't like wagons. Even though my car probably has MORE space and legroom than a CRV or Rav4, they still buy the SUV because "I feel better sitting up higher". First off, calling one of those CARS an SUV is an abomination; old Broncos, Suburbans and Jeeps are SUVs, yours is a tall car lol. Secondly, why do people want to sit so high? I'd rather have my butt scraping the ground and feel the car NOT roll in a turn, I still feel like I sit too high in the Focus because I'm way higher than I was in my Saturn.
My mom is 4'11 and it terrifies her when she can't see over the hood. The CRV is the only car she can drive out of like our 9 cars we have. My dad bought her a 2004 Odyssey but we ended up selling it because she couldn't see over the hood. No offense, but please look through all sides of the fence before making judgments upon others.

We have had it since 2000 or 2001 I believe it is, so we have gone through quite a few cars. My '95 camry, a '00 tacoma, 87 camry, '91 stang, 04 corolla, 00 corolla etc etc. She couldn't drive any of them due to not being able to see over the hood.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:44 AM   #46 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
My mom is 4'11 and it terrifies her when she can't see over the hood. The CRV is the only car she can drive out of like our 9 cars we have. My dad bought her a 2004 Odyssey but we ended up selling it because she couldn't see over the hood.
Weren't the seats adjustable? She could eventually also consider to use a seat booster. BTW my grandma used to drive with a pillow in the seat of a Fiat Siena she used to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Cd (02-10-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #47 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
My mom is 4'11 and it terrifies her when she can't see over the hood. The CRV is the only car she can drive out of like our 9 cars we have. My dad bought her a 2004 Odyssey but we ended up selling it because she couldn't see over the hood. No offense, but please look through all sides of the fence before making judgments upon others.
Sorry, Balto I didn't mean to offend. My fiancé is 5'0" on a tall day and can see over the dash fine on most cars. With the cars you listed I'm surprised she has had trouble seeing since I thought Japanese cars were geared more toward the shorter demographic considering the average height of the people building/designing them. I can understand you mom's issue with large cars like the van but would have never guessed a Corolla would problematic.... I dont know about the new Foci but she should try an 00-07 one like mine because I feel like if I were in the same exact spot but in my old Saturn, I'd be sitting on the roof!

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
My mom has a thick cushion for her Camry and she is 5'7". I had two girlfriends that were each 4'9". I just tried to find the picture of one of them, she stood up at Church and I knew that I needed to talk to her. Then I laughed because I expected the process of standing up to make her several inches taller than she was. Both of them drove, I do not remember what she had, but the other one owned a Ranger.

We have discussed leg room on here and it may be the same issue: Leg and torso proportions and personal preferences--or my boss and coworker each saying that they need a Dr. Pepper. Would Dr. Pepper deprivation create a black hole in the nucleus of each cell in their body? Would that actually be kind of cool?

Last edited by Xist; 02-10-2015 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #49 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
My mom used to use a pillow under her bottom to help her see in most cars, but she has horrible back problems and can't sit on uneven surfaces.

Also, no hard feelings at all, I'm just trying to say not everyone is the same. I personally don't feel comfortable in my insight most of the time, as I feel I can't see over the hood enough. I'm going to see if I can find some crv seats to fit in this car.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #50 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
Meanwhile, my head was rubbing on the ceiling of a Camry the other day, and I was not even sitting up straight.

Reply  Post New Thread