Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
40mpg pshh

try 55mpg...

Hey good job with that, you may be able to do a manual steering conversion. That would help with EOC.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
It was a lot easier for me to hit 55mpg and hold it there in my 1997 Metro than 40 mpg in my 2008 Cobalt.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Geo Metros

Say what were those Metros rated at back in the '90s anyway? I have to take my hat off to that kind of mileage your all REALLY getting. My car was rated at 37 on the high side, so 40 is not so bad for me, especially given the fact my previous "car" was a med size 4X4 that got about 17MPH in 2WD mode! Also my avg MPG is still going UP. It has yet to show any sign that it is near it's peak, but I doubt I will ever hit 50 MPG.

BUT, I do have a little more power and can go 110-120 MPH, maybe more, I don't dare risk the ticket. Can your Metro do THAT?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Victory (hwy) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 37.32 mpg (US)

Victory (city) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 29.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
BUT, I do have a little more power and can go 110-120 MPH, maybe more, I don't dare risk the ticket. Can your Metro do THAT?
Hey, my speedo goes to 140 MPH; I assume I can do at least that, but like you, I've got nowhere to try it. I'm as cheap as the next guy, so I like the great fuel economy (for a modern car) but I also like having all that power as well. Just a wonderfully engineered set of vehicles!

HIGHWAY
Old 09-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Say what were those Metros rated at back in the '90s anyway? I have to take my hat off to that kind of mileage your all REALLY getting. My car was rated at 37 on the high side, so 40 is not so bad for me, especially given the fact my previous "car" was a med size 4X4 that got about 17MPH in 2WD mode! Also my avg MPG is still going UP. It has yet to show any sign that it is near it's peak, but I doubt I will ever hit 50 MPG.

Oh yeah 40mpg is good, i'm not denying you that in the least bit. You do have air conditioning and the ability to pass cars. (something I can't do)

Oh, 110mph? Why do you need to go that fast? haha I might be able to pull of 100 with some aeromods. I'll never know, i'm about as fast as a
Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
Top speed doesn't really matter, I think there is a govener installed to cut you off at
115 mph.

When in EOC your computer will say 0 MPG instant but miles are still being added up on the odomiter. Reset your average mpg and then EOC down a hill and when you turn it on it will shoot up.

I EOC with power steering all the time, would like to know if a manual steering conversion would be possible though.

As far as I know we are not able to change the team name on a team once created.

Just installed a prototype lower grill block and looks like I'm getting a good 1.5 mpg better. Just logged my second 50+ mpg tank in a row.

EDIT: My average mpg is always within 1 mpg of what my tank math is so I would hold it to be pretty accurate.

2012 mpg
Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Smile Chevy Cobalts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusth View Post
Hey, my speedo goes to 140 MPH; I assume I can do at least that, but like you, I've got nowhere to try it. I'm as cheap as the next guy, so I like the great fuel economy (for a modern car) but I also like having all that power as well. Just a wonderfully engineered set of vehicles!
My spedo goes to 120, and I have not heard of any chip to govern going that fast, so as far as I know it can do it. I have gone 85 on the interstate and based on the RPMS it would seem 120 could be done well before redlining the thing.

Say, is yours an 08 or 09? It is an XFE right?

I'm just wondering why my speedometer stops at 120 and yours goes to 140. Maybe we should compare engine specs, of which I understood the 09 model XFE had a higher displacement than the 08's. hmm...

So many things to learn about my own car, by the time I figure most of it out I'll be ready for a plug-in HYBRID!! HAHAHAH (I think the hybrids have potential, but the fact the 90s Metros beat them shoes us how far they have to come if they are to ever replace today's old school technology.

I do hold out HOPE for The Chevy Volt which I believe should of been on the market in 2008 NOT 2010!!- But for over $40,00 for a first generation new technology makes this buy a gamble, on one hand Chevy claims 230MPG!! OTH: People buying cars in that price range can likely afford the price of gasoline and care more for luxury and comfort/the finer quality things in cars. Not to mention many smart car buyers are scared of first generation cars due to bugs that take years to find and fix.

That's why I like my Cobalt XFE- Over 40MPH and climbing, yet if I have a medical emergency I still have the power to get to the hospital fast (at the expense of lower avg MPG). Also I have enough storage space based on a short vacation with 2 people and the back seats folded down from the trunk- We carried a ton of stuff and the mileage never seemed to suffer! All of that with the New out the door price of near $13,00 after all discounts. A previous insurance settlement bought me this car, it's all paid for- no payments. I LOVE IT!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

New CObalt Grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
Top speed doesn't really matter, I think there is a govener installed to cut you off at
115 mph.

When in EOC your computer will say 0 MPG instant but miles are still being added up on the odomiter. Reset your average mpg and then EOC down a hill and when you turn it on it will shoot up.

I EOC with power steering all the time, would like to know if a manual steering conversion would be possible though.

As far as I know we are not able to change the team name on a team once created.

Just installed a prototype lower grill block and looks like I'm getting a good 1.5 mpg better. Just logged my second 50+ mpg tank in a row.
Very interesting... I need to learn more about the grill you installed.

What does "EOC" mean?

Even 115MPH is fine by me. Just think if some loved one needs to get to the hospital in time to have their life saved. Thats why it is so nice knowing your car can go over 100mph. Otherwise A Chevy Cobalt is NOT a race car. haha - Well, it can go 0 to 60 in I think less than 8 seconds... I forgot the figures, but their not too shabby.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Victory (hwy) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 37.32 mpg (US)

Victory (city) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 29.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
My spedo goes to 120, and I have not heard of any chip to govern going that fast, so as far as I know it can do it. I have gone 85 on the interstate and based on the RPMS it would seem 120 could be done well before redlining the thing.

Say, is yours an 08 or 09? It is an XFE right?

I'm just wondering why my speedometer stops at 120 and yours goes to 140. Maybe we should compare engine specs, of which I understood the 09 model XFE had a higher displacement than the 08's. hmm...
My G5 is a 2009 XFE. My engine is the 2.2L ECOTEC, same as yours. I guess my speedo has a higher top end cuz mine's a Pontiac (The 'former' performance division), so GM is either lying to you or lying to me!

Quote:
I do hold out HOPE for The Chevy Volt which I believe should of been on the market in 2008 NOT 2010!!
I planned to buy a Volt this year but they kept postponing it, so I bought the most fuel-efficient car I could (at an affordable price), the G5/Cobalt. I paid the same as you, except I actually paid $2700 less because of my GM card earnings (final price $10,400, woo-hoo!).

And a note to MadisonMPG: I loved my Geo, but I gave it to my oldest daughter when I bought the G5. I told her she better take care of my baby or she'd never get a car from me again!

HIGHWAY
Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
My G5 is a 2009 XFE. My engine is the 2.2L ECOTEC, same as yours. I guess my speedo has a higher top end cuz mine's a Pontiac (The 'former' performance division), so GM is either lying to you or lying to me!
You are exactly correct. The G5 in all trim levels uses the same speedo, although the face may be a little different) as the Cobalt SS. The GS XFE will not do 140, nor will the Cobalt XFE.

It's a lot faster than my Metro. I promise you that.

Reply  Post New Thread