Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SubObs - '00 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 29.4 mpg (US)
2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Hi everyone! I am very new to this hypermiling/ecomodding scene and I'm very excited about what I am learning. The reason why I stumbled upon this forum and the art of hypermiling itself is because of being unsatisfied with my overall mpg for my Subaru. My best tank as I can recall was 26.5ish mpg (99% highway miles). My worst tank was about 20 mpg.

Even though I've always wanted to, I never recorded it somewhere like fuelly.com. However I can confidently say I average about 24-25 mpg in my Subaru. My previous vehicle was older, larger, heavier, had a bigger engine and averaged almost the same as my newer car. (I'm sure part of this is due to AWD...maybe?)

The first thing I have done after browsing this forum was change the way I drive. The tips I've learned here are amazing. My gas tank light meter in my car has 5 notches, top and bottom represent F and E, respectively, and I have 3 middle notches. A typical tank would get me about 350 miles, 360 if I'm lucky. After only changing the way I drive, I'm on the last (4th) notch from the bottom, and only have about 330 miles...very exciting. I actually started changing the way I drive after driving 90 miles after my last fill-up, so I can imagine the results I can possibly obtain from a fresh full tank. My current goal for this current tank is 400 miles, and my current mpg goal is 30.

I look forward to learning more from you all!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Midg - '99 Hyundai Accent HTCBK
90 day: 37.33 mpg (US)

Landy - '02 Land Rover Discovery II SD
Last 3: 17.44 mpg (US)

Pilot - '05 Honda Pilot EX
90 day: 21.22 mpg (US)

MZDA - '10 Mazda 3 iTouring
90 day: 37.8 mpg (US)

F150-project - '04 ford f150 xl
almost bought a 1999 2dr Subaru RS. Love the cars and the AWD, but I really needed a gas saver so I went for a Hyundai Accent. It can be done. I've seen imprezas with the rear axles completely removed. Made a 3-5 mpg difference.

"Drive it like you're
running outta fuel."

Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
Brucey here has the bigger legacy outback with a 2.5/auto and is getting in the 30's. I believe hes seen 40mpg as well. You definitely have room for improvement.

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 06-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Sh*t-Box - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
I'm rather new here too, and have a 99 OBS. Do you have a 2.2L?
I have yet to break 30mpg's myself, but someday... maybe after I get my check engine light off. (knock sensor, and O2).
P&G (pulse and glide, aka P&N pulse and neutral) seems to be affective in Subarus, but I do it very sparingly, as I think my trany is slowly dieing (but I've been thinking that for 30K miles, so who knows)
anyway, welcome!

oh yeah, how many miles? I've got just under 140K.
Have you filled your tires up to the max PSI yet? Use thin synthetic oil, trans fluid, and gear box oil and taken off the roof rack and AC belt (might want to wait on that one...)
Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
Brucey here has the bigger legacy outback with a 2.5/auto and is getting in the 30's. I believe hes seen 40mpg as well. You definitely have room for improvement.
I'm really amazed by Brucey milage, I think the E10 I'm using is not helping, but still he's had some tanks with E10 that put me to shame.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

@jusnicho: My first car was actually an 2000 Hyundai Accent (not too sure if its the same generation as yours)...I never really kept track of the mpg because this was before I cared about that =P Nice, reliable, and fe cars that are inexpensive to fix.

@bhazard: Thanks! I have a smaller 2.2L/auto, so there is hope

@Dr. Jerryrigger: I have an automatic so I don't feel too comfortable with P&G. As for miles, I have just about 87000 +/- 100 miles. I actually bought it earlier this year when it had 82000 (exactly =P). My tires are currently max PSI. I'm due for an oil change now so I'll be sure to get synthetic, and I just had my transmission fluid replaced right after I bought the car. I have not yet taken the roof rack off because I plan on using it for bikes, however I probably will take it off right before it starts raining again.
It looks like you changed your hood to a non OBS hood...yess? I was thinking about that last night, but I really like the way the (unfortunately non-functional) hood scoop looks. It is something to consider in the future.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
*wave*

Subie Automatics are a pain to stretch the gas with, but it can be done.

My biggest suggestion (as far as technique) is keep momentum at all costs. (Driving without brakes) Mine is pretty heavy and I still can't beat 24 mpg or so in mid day traffic with it. After that, avoid the A/C like the plague. I lose around 10% by turning it on. Find out where/when you can get in 4th gear and the torque converter locks. Keep it in that 'gear' as much as possible. It eliminates the losses from the torque converter. Keep the speed down (I never go above 60 unless downhill)

As far as mods, remove the crossbars on the roof rack and air the tires up. These are free and I always suggest going with them first (: I still haven't removed my roof rack entirely. I still use it monthly and it's a pain to remove and it would present more problems.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber View Post
@Dr. Jerryrigger: I have an automatic so I don't feel too comfortable with P&G. As for miles, I have just about 87000 +/- 100 miles. I actually bought it earlier this year when it had 82000 (exactly =P). My tires are currently max PSI. I'm due for an oil change now so I'll be sure to get synthetic, and I just had my transmission fluid replaced right after I bought the car. I have not yet taken the roof rack off because I plan on using it for bikes, however I probably will take it off right before it starts raining again.
It looks like you changed your hood to a non OBS hood...yess? I was thinking about that last night, but I really like the way the (unfortunately non-functional) hood scoop looks. It is something to consider in the future.
I also have an AT. P&G takes some getting used to with an AT but is quite possible. When going from N to D wile moving I like to gently press the throttle so the RPM's match what they will be in gear at that speed, like you would with a manual before letting out the clutch.
But with out P&G you should be able to get 28 highway with out any problem. I drive at about 58-60mph when it's safe to do so and can reliably get 28. Even at 65-70 I get about the same. I have the added motivation to keep it slow because of an oil leak. When the RPM's get up to about 3K, it leaks a lot faster, and onto my exhaust manifold, so when I stop I find myself in a cloud of oil smoke.
I do have the non-OBS hood. People ether seem to love the look of those scoops or hate them, I'm the latter, but to each there own. I wouldn't mined it so much if it acutely had some purpose.I didn't do the swap, just before I bout it some one stole the original one off it, right out of the auto body shop parking lot.... according to the car salesman.....
I still have my roof rack on, and I'm not sure if I'll remove it. It's nice knowing it's there if I need it. I actually cant remember using it in the two years I've had the car, with the exception of one xmass tree. But with my first car, a 92 Legacy sedan, I was consistently using the roof rack for random junk. That was an aftermarket rack, which I found far more functional, but was much less aerodynamic.
I feel like if I take it off the next day I'll see the most beautiful furniture on the side of the road, that is just a little too big to fit inside. I might still have the roof rack from the Legacy in my parents basement. If I do I think I'll take off the sock one, and keep the aftermarket one inside the car (it goes on in less than 10 min).
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Oh, also get a 4 WHEEL alignment done as soon as you can spare the cash. My rears were out of a spec for an embarrassingly long time and were eating the rear tires up and after I got an alignment (and admittedly, new tires) my mileage improved and my tires are still looking brand new after 20k miles or so.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Update...I actually hit my goal of reaching 400 miles on a tank with a 28.54mpg rating...my highest for both. I filled up July 1st and I hope to hit 30mpg...hopefully 1.46 mpg isnt too hard =P Also...I haven't done much except change my driving habits-trying to avoid braking and traveling at least 5mpg under speed limit (except out of courtesy and safety). I'll probably bring in my car for an oil change and have tires rotated/aligned same time

Reply  Post New Thread